SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#118195 - 06/03/05 01:24 AM Re: Best way to change voices fast
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi SemiLiveMusic

As far as the easiest ways to change a sound and only press one button. If you press your "F" button for MAIN, then press user voices, then select which category of 10 voices you want to choose from, this is all done before you start playing the song BTW, you then have 10 voices to choose from on your screen at the tough of ONE button. HOWEVER, and I think this is where you are probably running into a problem, if you use my method, you will want to turn off the OTS button that changes the voices when you change between the different rhythm variations. This is the easiest way by a long shot to have a minimum of 10 voices ready with one touch while on the fly. If you have a little more time you can easily learn to recall what voices are on each page whether you use the 70 or 100 voice sets that I created, or if you create your own. You will have to see if it's easier to use your right hand or left hand to do this.

Also, depending on how you are performing, you will find the fill-in button being pressed unitl you find your next button can help you out of a tight spot and also can add a nice touch to your arrangement.

The window is a lot closer to your left hand than the Reg Mem buttons. Also, you can leave the user voice screen up while you perform the song and it will be very easy to see what sounds are where.

I use this all night with absolute ease. I also use only one bank of Reg Mem. It's much easier to remember than having a bunch of them. The only reason I even use Reg Mem is for my favorite sounds, especially ones that I have 2 or 3 sounds layered.

You could make a gig disk where you save the style and sounds in the OTS using the style creator if that appeals to you. But, I have found that to be a lot of uneccessary work. If you use the category user voice idea, then you don't have to create OTS for each and every song.

Some like to have styles on their Reg Mem button with sound registrations. This works great, I'm sure if you get used to it, but, if you forget to press the Freeze button, you can easily have the wrong style going. I personally don't like to mix the two together. I think it's much easier to have styles in where they can normally be found, in the preset buttons, user styles, MFD.

Also, on the Tyros I can assign a foot pedal to change my Reg Mem. It will move to the very next Reg button just by hitting the pedal. I am not sure if that is available on the 2000. I no longer have the manual and I didn't see anything about pedals over on psrtutorial.

How about it 2000 people, can that be done?

Scott

#118196 - 06/03/05 06:21 AM Re: Best way to change voices fast
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
On my Roland boards, I set up a color sound that I bring in with a EV5 pedal.
This is the best way for me to change the sound..You can set it up in a way that you can actually switch from one sound to another via EV5 pedal, or blend the two together..
I can also change to a second tone with velocity switching..
If you can not do these things with a Yamaha, let the drummer[fill] cover you while you make a tone change with your right hand...Also I repeat the intro, this allows plenty of time to change tones..
As DonM has stated ,I also use the lockouts on my Roland..this allows a whole new ballgame,without striking out..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online