SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#118112 - 10/29/07 06:09 PM Re: PSR-3000 No Power
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Larry,
the Dealers usually have a tech on call that you can also use. check with your local dealers.
sounds like a fuse in the power supply circuit to me.
Bebop

#118113 - 10/29/07 06:43 PM Re: PSR-3000 No Power
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bebop,

I couldn't find an internal fuse on the power supply board. However, there are lots of plugs that could cause the same problem if they were jarred loose in shipping, and there have been reports of bad solder joints on the small PC board where the power supply plugs into the keyboard.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#118114 - 10/30/07 05:10 AM Re: PSR-3000 No Power
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I found a local music store that does repairs of this type. They charge $67 for the first hour. Hopefully they can diagnose the problem in that time.

I still have a strong suspicion about the OS update card that was inserted when the keyboard was switched on, then died. It was the first time, I ever had this card inserted, and I could see the screen scramble, then went blank. I was told a card could not kill a board, but...a coincidence?

BTW... I emailed Yamaha CA and asked if they had any ideas. They responded and instructed me to reset the keyboard by holding down the uppermost right key and the power button, or insert the OS update card and tun on the power button and start/stop at the same time. I appreciated a response, but how do you reset or update with no power?!?

Anyway, thanks for all the help, and to Gary for instructing me on how to check the power supply.

If anyone is interested in checking your power supply:

You need a multimeter. I bought one On Sale for $3 at a local Harbor Freight Tools Store http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf

Set the multimeter to DC Volts, set the scale to 20 volts, plug in the power supply to the wall outlet, then insert the red multimeter probe into the center of the plug that would normally plug into the keyboard, and touch the black multimeter probe to the metal out portion of the plug. This should give you a reading of approximately 17 volts DC. If there is no reading, the power supply is defective. Replacements cost about $90 from Yamaha.

I received a reading of 16.25 volts, indicating the power supply is OK.

Thanks again to our friend Gary for these instructions.

So, I'll let you all know the repair results for future reference, hopefully you won't need to know for your keyboard.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online