SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#118063 - 09/19/03 06:19 AM Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Here is a something you might find interesting:

"A tech guy at a well-known nation-wide music store told me yesterday that
he had been talking to a Yamaha tech recently and that the Tyros came up in
the conversation. The Yamaha guy said the Tyros was selling better than
expected world-wide and that they plan to release the Tyros/Pro at summer
2004 NAMM. He said it was a 76 key unit based on the 9000Pro. There were
considerable more "mega-voices" and polyphony of 192 with several "new"
enhancements.
So, is this guy feeding us a line or there something to it???? Rumor mill
here we go!" by Dick True.

Wow! Another Arranger Workstation to add to the Mix!!!! The guy who wrote the above sounds like a well spoken person so I don't think he's just tossing straw in the wind and blatantly trying to deceive people. I mean; his last name is True isn't it??

I for one am glad Yamaha decided -(hopefully decided) , to make a Tyros Pro. I think it is a logical step. The PSR 9000Pro was a comparitively big seller for Yamaha and giving us a Tyros Pro is a natural succession to the Tyros just like the PSR 9000 Pro was to the PSR 9000. More Mega Voices and greater Polyphony would be expected too. I think we'll find that the Mega Voices on the Tyros Pro will actually be playable also like they now are on the Motif ES series Keyboards. I would almost bet there won't be internal speakers but I think we probably will see the inclusion of Smart Media technology and/or Flash Drive Media used in conjunction with the USB ports. That's right, "ports". Using Flash Drives (Thumb Drives) requires the use of a "To Device" Type A USB connector. A "To Host" type B USB connector would be available for connecting the Tyros Pro to a Computer.

Golly, what other "new" features are we looking at here? How about a much improved Vocal Harmonizer?? Yamaha has to keep up with the Jones'es, er... I mean, Korg -don't they??? (Korg's new Pa1X Pro has a TC Helicon Vocal Processor built-in for those who don't know). So Yamaha has to keep up with the competition IMO. I think that 'Repeat to Fill' function will be re-instated in the Tyros Pro IMO. But because the Tyros Pro will be showcased at NAMM less than a year from now I would be surprised if Yamaha provides an OS update that will provide that feature in the current Tyros. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think we may see a Digital I/O included by way of the AIEB2 expansion Board and I hope there will also be other "Expansion" capability like PLG add on Boards. Also I think the 'cup holder' will be gone on the Tyros Pro too.

What would really be nice is if Yamaha finally incorporated USB 2.0 into their Keyboard products. I doubt we'll see it in the Tyros Pro though. That is; "IF" there is indeed a Tyros Pro in the works.

You know, I think Yamaha leaks these bits of information on purpose with the intention a creating a "Buzz" in the music world. Well sir, they've accomplished that alright.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Best regards,
Mike

#118064 - 09/19/03 06:48 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Oh boy - more gossip. Well, first of all - we can expect that IF this is true then Yamaha will be very tight-lipped about serious details about a Tyros Pro until they officially discontinue the 9000 Pro, which they haven't yet. But "leaking info" would be par for the course and a good little dirty marketing trick to help dent the impact of the Korg PA1-X Pro. And the timeline seems logical too - Yamaha debuted the Tyros at a Summer NAMM, which typically has less new products than the Winter NAMM so you can create a bigger splash with a new product release.

It occurs to me that Yamaha need not and likely would not develop any new technology to create a Tyros Pro. By assembling many of the features and components from the existing Tyros and the Motif ES, Yamaha can make a successor to the 9000 Pro that would be very competitive to the PA1-X Pro while not competing with it's own lines. What I mean by that is that Yamaha would likely combine existing features/technology with minor upgrades rather than release any major new ones so as not to offend current Tyros and Motif ES owners. Even if new features/technology are on the horizon, Yamaha could opt to save that for an even further release (the 2005 Tyros Pro ES for example). Since it's about a 2-3 year development process to create and release new keyboards, I expect this to be the case. So there isn't much use in wish-listing ourselves to death and over-building our expectations. Still, I would be very interested in the results of merging the Tyros with the Motif ES into a new 76-note arranger. I just hope they keep the gooseneck LittleLites from the 9000 Pro!!!

#118065 - 09/19/03 06:57 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
WOW,,,,,,,, I hope Mr. True is telling the Truth, because, I for
one will definitely be checking that Baby out.
I gave my Technics KN5000 to my Daughter so,,,,,, the 9000 Pro
is all alone now & it looks lonesome.
I need a Tyros Pro, or some thing like that to keep it company.
Enjoying the 9000 Pro
Denny

#118066 - 09/19/03 07:54 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Although it was a while back, when I spoke with Yamaha UK there were no plans to produce a Tyros Pro. Of course things have changed since then, but it is my feeling that there will not be a "pro" version but perhaps a newer model of similar proportions. However there is still a lot of steam in the Tyros which OS updates could unleash, and there's the hidden agenda of possible expansion connectors in the hard drive bay. I'm sure that the next PSR2100 replacement will most likely offer a colour screen, a few megavoices and begin to move in the same direction as Tyros has. Where will this leave the Tyros is anyones guess at the moment.. The 9000 pro will never be the success of the Tyros, though it has a strong following. Furthermore, I dont think any future keyboards will offer the same "wow" factor as did the Tyros when launched. Adding acoustic guitar sounds which actually sound like the real thing was a big move in making styles begin to sound more realistic, I only hope that Yamaha don't try and put sample loops in the styles! I'd like to see provisional extra ins for breath control, REAL sound synthesis on board, some decent deep bass sounds and more synthy pads, other than that my wish list is short! The 2000 and 2100 are big sellers for yamaha and its likely that we will see more progress being made in this line, given its appeal to a wider audience.

These are just my thoughts.

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#118067 - 09/19/03 08:50 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
The Pro Offline

What fun would that be ?

#118068 - 09/19/03 09:36 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
The Pro Offline

The fun is also in discussion and speculation. I'm interested in instrument marketing strategy and the progression of music technology. It's one thing to improve the player and another to improve the instrument - this discussion is about the latter.

#118069 - 09/19/03 11:11 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
The Pro Offline

Look - this started as a decent and nearly interesting topic that I and others here obviously want to talk about. If you don't then WTF are you doing here? Go away and take your lectures with you... I want to talk about keyboards and possibilities, not children's games.

#118070 - 09/19/03 12:36 PM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Whoa back the truck up there Mr. Pro. I'm lost. What does the World Trade Federation have to do with this discussion? I'm sure the tariffs between countries will be about the same as they are now.

Tom

#118071 - 09/19/03 02:07 PM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

play nice, boyz.....

#118072 - 09/19/03 07:48 PM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Guess I'm just a pessimist. Ironicaly, over the past two decades, nearly every rumor I've heard about new keyboard features turn out to be just that--rumors. In fact, I seriously doubt that yamaha sold more Tyros keyboards than anticipated--either in the U.S. or anywhere else in the world. The Tyros is not a bread & butter keyboard, and so called pro keyboards probably do not make up more than 5 percent of their total sales. I'll believe the Tyros Pro when I see one. In the mean time, I'll just keep on working with my 2000.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#118073 - 09/20/03 09:31 PM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
Clif Anderson Offline

Esh, just between you and me, I like rumors about upcoming products, speculation and wishing about new features, discussing the pros and cons features that may never make it to market. I also think manufacturers may be interested in our reaction to a possible TyrosPro.

#118074 - 09/20/03 10:14 PM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Information I heard from a person at Yamaha. The present CVP210 is a stop gap until a new CVP Piano range winter 2004. Now normally new keyboards follow new CVP's so to me this means there will be a TYROS 2 in 2005. They assured me they have no plans for a Tyros 76 notes due to costing factors.
Hopefully before this we will see new arrangers from Roland etc:

Graham UK

#118075 - 09/21/03 06:03 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
The Pro Offline

DNJ: come back when you grow the kind of imagination that the rest of this thread's participants have. The only thing about your posts that went over my head was the troll-attitude behind them.

I'm all too aware that pro instruments make up the minority of the music market as Gary pointed out - but I was under the impression that the 9000 Pro has sold very well in Europe (that came from people at Yamaha I've talked with). I would think that fact alone would justify a 76-note version of the Tyros. It's a little strange that while Korg is releasing it's new PA1-X in both 61 and 76 note versions and Roland released it's VA-series arranger in both keyboard formats that Yamaha chose to only make a 61-note Tyros with no plans for a 76-note model since it would require no new technology to produce the Tyros in a 76-note shell.

But then again, it seems that Yamaha throws all of it's development and marketing muscle behind whatever their prize keyboard for the moment is, which currently is the new Motif ES series. There's not much doubt that the Motif ES will be a well-received and good-selling instrument, which does serve to blur the lines ever so slightly between workstations and arrangers. Perhaps in this light then the Tyros itself was a "stop-gap" instrument, and the rumors that there will ever be a pro version of the Tyros are just that. I could see that Yamaha would be more interested in making arranger-like options for it's bread & butter Mo'ES workstations rather than developing a separate keyboard that falls between the Tyros and Mo markets like the 9000 Pro did.

In short - who knows?

#118076 - 09/21/03 07:47 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I heard that the Tyro's was going to come out in a left handed version .

#118077 - 09/21/03 07:52 AM Re: Guess what? Tyros Pro around the corner??
Clif Anderson Offline

Among forum members, there are those of us who drool over "specification subject to change" and those of us who are only interested in technology to the extent it helps them do their job. Neither group is better than the other; no one's input should be excluded from a topic. Derisive comments are uncalled for and I am sorry if Donny felt he had to delete his comments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online