SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#118057 - 01/14/00 02:09 AM Best of both worlds - X1-Styles via Style works into PSR 9000?
Heinrich Offline

Hi,
I guess my question might be as well interesting for others:

The Style Quality of the X1 is highly appreciated in this forum. So is the sound and the effect section of the PSR 9000. Now some posters wish there was a chance to convert X1 styles to use them in the PSR 9000 - the best of both worlds, so to say. Right now there is no EMC Style works version that works already for the PSR 9000 and the X1, I learned from another posting (thank you, Marek!). But I guess there might be a problem to do so after a new EMC update:

The X1 has 32 sampled drum grooves (fact sheet information, that means : only one midi note to start them) and they add the most to the stunning performance of the X1. The Yamaha has sampled stereo drums but I found not a word about if it uses grooves and how many.

1. Isnīt it questionable that you can use converted X1 Styles for the PSR 9000 when the X1 uses in many styles live recorded drum loops (and thats what we like most with those styles, no?)and not midi-driven single drumsounds?

2. Is the PSR 9000 really using live recorded drum loops (to the extent the X1 does?)

Thats interesting to know because if it is like I assume then a X1 Style will never sound really lively in a PSR 9000 - and another question is if X1 styles using sampled drum loops can be converted at all.

Best regards to all

Heinrich

#118058 - 01/14/00 08:52 PM Re: Best of both worlds - X1-Styles via Style works into PSR 9000?
DannyUK Offline

Hi there again!

I do not know much about the PSR9000s specs with regards to live drum kits because I can only go on what Ive heard from it. When I had a go on the PSR9000 I just tried to take in as much as possible with the limited time I had, and from what I heard the drums did not sound 'live' or as like they do on the X1. But the best person to ask about the PSR9000s drum kits would be a PSR9000 owner.

But maybe I can shed some light with your other question about the X1s grooves. I have recently recorded and sequenced songs via the X1 and when played back on any other instrument, interestingly enough, the groove track (track 9 within a song OR track 1 within a style), other keyboards do not recognise this and just plays a mess rather than a sound. My songs created on the X1 that contain groove tracks from the drum kits DO NOT play back on my I30 for example, or my WX2.

I think that this may go for styles as well ONCE converted. I think you will find that the X1 styles when converted will only sound as they should on another keyboard with groove drum kits capabilities.

In reverse though (which is where the X1 excels I think), I have many converted GEM, Korg and Yamaha styles on my X1 and I have added grooves to the drum tracks and they sound like a totally different style, they sound live.

Maybe the above information may go some way in finding the answer to your question.

Danny (UK)

#118059 - 01/15/00 03:42 PM Re: Best of both worlds - X1-Styles via Style works into PSR 9000?
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Heinrich,
If the sampled drum grooves are a recording and use only one midi signal to start them, what happens when you increase/decrease the tempo?
Danny,
How did you convert the yamaha styles to x1's formatt? From which Model were they? Can the 9000 and 740's styles be converted to use on the x1?
Thank,

------------------
Jick

#118060 - 01/15/00 07:54 PM Re: Best of both worlds - X1-Styles via Style works into PSR 9000?
DannyUK Offline

Jick,

Firstly, I used the EMC style works to convert them to Solton format then once loaded into the X1 i edited them accordingly.

Secondly, the yamaha styles are from my old PSR8000 that I sold a few months ago, and some that I have downloaded from the net.

Danny(UK)

#118061 - 01/20/00 10:04 AM Re: Best of both worlds - X1-Styles via Style works into PSR 9000?
Heinrich Offline

PSR-9000 / X1-owners? Danny? Jick?

I have done a little research on my first questions in the thread: I had a look through the handbook of the PSR 9000: other than the X1 there seem no live sampled drum grooves to be available (except a few short one touch settings)in the Yamaha. It only has two live drumkits onboard with some stereo (!) sampled kicks, snares, cymbals and so on. These sounds contain up to 4 samples each depending on the dynamics and how hard the keys are hit. A Yamaha tec said as far as he knows itīs the only keyboard with real stereo drum sounds (not panned).
A keyboarddealer in Germany announced the PSR had 100 newly arranged styles with live grooves recorded by real drummers.
Does that mean Midi recording? (May be thats the reason why some people believe the PSR drums grooves do not sound so lively like the ones in the X1)
Or are they just mixing it up with the groove and dynamic filters when you set up new styles from scratch?

As with the X1: You can change the tempo of the sampled drum grooves without pitch change. But if you want the same sound quality, only to a small scale, said the Yamaha tech. Okay, thats competition, but is that still true?

I still did not find in the PSR 9000 manual any possibility to alter a drum section via a drum mixer, letīs say leave away the kicks, or the snare. Is it really capable to do that ( I do not mean deleting single notes in the sequencer...)?

Any comments on that?

Best Regards

heinrich

#118062 - 01/20/00 11:09 AM Re: Best of both worlds - X1-Styles via Style works into PSR 9000?
AndyG Offline

Loc: Wiltshire,UK
Hi Heinrich,

I own a PSR9000 and I can confirm that to my knowledge the PSR9000 does not contain any sampled audio drum-loops. Using the term "groove" is confusing as it is used by Yamaha (and Cakewalk) to describe the shifing of MIDI events to produced a more life-like quality to a MIDI sequence.

If the X1 contains audio drum-loops - (which are variable in speed by time stretching / compression) it is possible that there could be a small loss of quality due to the real-time processing of the audio - however not much.

The PSR9000 drums are, in my opinion, excellent.

However, rather than compare specs, you should let your own ears decide - as only you know what type of style/sound that you like.

Best Regards,

Andy.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online