SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117871 - 03/24/05 01:33 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
If you're going to go thru all that trouble to design dedicated hardware, why not integrate the software. Do you really believe stand-alone software is or will be supperior to what can be achieved now. If this stuff was possible and PROFITABLE, it would be on the market now.

1) If a company integrates the software it will no longer be an open system (proprietary) and we will once again be at the mercy of the manufacturer to come up with updates.
2) Yes stand alone software can be superior to what can be achieved now. The developer will focus on software and not worry about the keyboard.
3) It is possible but, would not be as profitable as it is now. I don't need to upgrade my keybed every 2 years. The keybed on my 3 year old Roland does not need to be changed, but the styles do. The keyboard mfgs. are milking the system until they can no longer. You can be sure the keyboard makers are watching Mediastation and Neko to watch how they make out. If they, or a facsimile start grabbing market share, you can be sure they will be marketing that way as well.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-24-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-24-2005).]

#117872 - 03/24/05 01:47 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Sorry, but to me it sounds like a lot of rehashed ideas that have never been marketable and will remain so.

I've had a lot of keyboards where the hardware outlasted the software - that's called comsumerism.

#117873 - 03/24/05 01:56 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

I've had a lot of keyboards where the hardware outlasted the software - that's called comsumerism.

Consumerism is not a good thing IMO.
Starkeeper

#117874 - 03/24/05 02:00 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm sure Yamaha, Roland, Korg and a dozen other manufacturers are really shaken by that annoouncement.

Kevin, please don't take this the wrong way; it's not directed st you. It's just that reality sucks that way.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 03-24-2005).]

#117875 - 03/24/05 03:19 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
They should make a KB that reads your mind, and plays what your thinking!

Phil

#117876 - 03/24/05 03:56 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
They should make a KB that reads your mind, and plays what your thinking!

Phil

Yeah, that would be great, at least until you reach my age. My wife says the mind was the second thing to go. Damned if I can remember what the first thing was.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#117877 - 03/24/05 07:34 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
Beakybird Offline

First, it would be nice if the keyboard manufacturers implemented the technology that exists.

I would like to see a Yamaha with

1. a 7 footswitch controller. The MFC10 is unweildy and sucks for most keyboardists.

2. a START BEAT OVER button.

3. a great vocalizer.

We can expect to see

4. Vocal pitch control

5. Breath controller

6. Software to get into the nitty gritty of voice modulation - integrated with sequencing software.

7. Guitar strumming. Play chord with left hand. Instead of right hand keys activating notes, they activate different strums and picking.

What I want most is

1. More great styles with more variations.

2. More authentic sounds.

3. Ease of play. Easy to find the right registration. Easy to insert a 3/4 beat into a 4/4 arrangement. Easy to pick voices, styles, harmonies, etc. Without an arranger keyboard interface, you can't get ease of play.

Beakybird

#117878 - 03/24/05 08:18 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
BlkNotes Offline

I'm with you Starkeeper. Cassp, just because a merry-go-round is present, doesn't mean that we have to get on. If everyone followed the pack we would never have any new ideas. It has to stop sometime.

Regards;
BN

#117879 - 03/27/05 01:23 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
...Are we nearing the end of technological advances in keyboarding?

I don't know wether I've understood you or not, Phil. If you're talking about the controlling posibilities of synthesises, there could be more in the future. But if you're talking about sound abilities I have to refuse. So, why?

The sounds have reached its optimum. What do you want to make better on a flute or trumpet wave if it sounds absolute real? The sounds that I'm using are samples in a high performance quality (44.1kHz/16 bit/stereo).
They won't sound better in a rate of 96kHz as 24 bit/stereo surround sound waves.
In most cases they even sound worse than the established once. Sometimes I've thought the 24 bit wave sounds realer than real. That's the reason why it sounds unreal to me.

In my opinion the manufacturers try to invent the same wheel again and again. What's really new on soft synths? What's better on the sound abilities of soft synths? Do they really believe that we can run 20 real synths as one virtual synth using all the same converters as their audio output? There's no chance for them to do so with any non-adequate hardware.

I've heard the same sample on different samplers. I tried a guitar sample (taken from my Les Paul) on my Kurzweil's K2000RS and then on a Ensonic Mirage. My guitar on the K2k sounded slightly other than on the Mirage. The reason for those small differences are the AD/DA-converters which were manufactured by different chip factories.

Okay, one of you might think that these were failings in hardware developments that will be compensated by soft synth engineering.
The others are knowing that exactly these slightly differences were making the great distinctions.

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 03-28-2005).]

#117880 - 03/28/05 01:09 PM Re: Reaching the end of technological advances?
Alone&Forsaken Offline

Ok let me say one thing real quick right off...screw the debate of software Vs hardware ( I see it all the time ). Reason I say screw it...lol have you ever tried to run software without hardware, doesn't work all that well does it.

"The sounds have reached its optimum. What do you want to make better on a flute or trumpet wave if it sounds absolute real?"

Well, there is a factor of diminishing returns for sure...but sounds from now will not be considered optimum ten year's from now. Not to say that I dont love keyboards now of the past and so on...its just reality.

"The sounds that I'm using are samples in a high performance quality (44.1kHz/16 bit/stereo)."

The basic consumer grade sample rate we are all stuck with.

"They won't sound better in a rate of 96kHz as 24 bit/stereo surround sound waves."

This just blasts logic one in the head...have you ever contrasted 16bit Vs 24bit? 24bit samples will and do crush 16bit. Hahaha sorry but 16bit stereo next to 24bit surround is just gonna get its ass handed to it.

"In most cases they even sound worse than the established once. Sometimes I've thought the 24 bit wave sounds realer than real. That's the reason why it sounds unreal to me."

Its the fault of the sound designer not sample rate. YET I do agree with you the more supposedly realistic something is the more the small elements that conflict with that stand out. Only I feel the problem could be fixed if the perspective was changed...a keyboard is a keyboard, its very much its own instrument I find it almost a complete waste that the sounds dumped into them are so literal minded. Think if higher sample rates were only utilized as a broader palette to approach sound creation...not just rehash the same old sound libraries with a sloppy conversion.

In the end I feel there are many sounds/instruments on romplers that are just chasing the dragon so to speak.

Anyhow...most everything thats been talked about here COULD be somewhat pointless, IF the new Alesis Fusion pans out well.

Beyond that the main thing I would love to see in future keyboards...BETTER effects and more that can be used at once no matter what mode your in. I mean look at Roland/Boss and their independent effects...think if something like the ME50 was a reality in a keyboard ( only speaking of that as its a multi unit hahaha and not in list mood ). Check out something like the Yamaha "MagicStop" multi effects unit ( 32bit ) and think if that was in the Yamaha keyboards...lord the effects on a sub 200$ box are more refined then whats in their 3000$ keyboards. Just doesn't seem right does it.

Plus when dealing with a rompler, effects are your most direct freedom to craft sounds you want. While Im not the largest fan of amp sims digital reverb and the like, Im not blind to the fact if things of that nature of are relative quality they can greatly enhance keyboard driven work. Sad thing is spend a few thousand bucks and get five effects to work with across perhaps 16 tracks smirk Hell your going to have stuff sharing effects that isnt ideal at the very least if not that basic bread and butter reforcement ( EQs compression and the like ) are going to eat up effects you would perhaps wish to be more creative with.

Kinda silly to act like tech has reached its limits...when we still deal with voices that dont sound as good in sequencer mode as they do in program mode. Decade old gripes still haven't been fixed hahaha but tech has reached its limits smirk

"'m with you Starkeeper. Cassp, just because a merry-go-round is present, doesn't mean that we have to get on. If everyone followed the pack we would never have any new ideas. It has to stop sometime."

LOL well given many people here "upgrade" their board soon as something with a new number behind it or some random "cool" or "mega" 16bit sample is marketed...the wait could be a LONG one.

"They should make a KB that reads your mind, and plays what your thinking! "

Best idea in the topic

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online