SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#117629 - 09/23/01 04:49 PM Tinkering with the PSR 2000. Is this possible?
Beakybird Offline

I'm someone who wishes the PSR 9000 were the same weight and price as the PSR 2000. My main dissatisfaction with the PSR 2000 is the lack of storage. Apparently it comes with 512mb of flash memory which is for style, registration, and multipad storage.

What is this flash memory? Is it a separate chip on the motherboard? I would like to know.

I have a friend who is very expert at tinkering with computers, and I was wondering if it might be possible, after loading all of the factory settings onto a floppy, to increase the flash memory by changing it, possibly with the flash memory of a PSR 9000, which is, I believe, 1.5mb. Maybe one could put something even bigger in! But maybe this isn't possible at all.

Does anyone think that this is possible? Does anyone know how this could be done?

#117630 - 09/24/01 04:33 AM Re: Tinkering with the PSR 2000. Is this possible?
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Beakybird,

I build, repair and troubleshoot computer systems. From my tech experience, the additiion of memory to the board would be limited by whatever the onboard bios allowed or the operating system allowed. Which in this case is 512. I doubt you could just add memory to that board. It is probably missing the additional memory board that the PSR9000 has in it to add memory. Swapping out the memory chip would be useless if the BIOS didn't read the memory into the system. I could be wrong also. Maybe some one else has some experience with the particulars of arranger keyboard motherboards. Hope that helped.

-Linda

[This message has been edited by LindaFus (edited 09-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by LindaFus (edited 09-24-2001).]

#117631 - 09/24/01 06:53 AM Re: Tinkering with the PSR 2000. Is this possible?
Vic01 Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
I also work with computer systems for a living and I would agree with Linda's assessment. If the OS is designed to only read 512kb even if you could somehow add more flash ram the OS will still only see 512 kb of it. It's a little like adding a 30 gig drive to a computer whose operating system can only read up to 8 gigs.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online