Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#117395 - 12/03/02 02:14 PM Re: Tyros Arrives at Kaye's Music Scene
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
the (Tyros) operating system although similar to the PSR2000 is easier to navigate, and I love the ability to change the view to "scroll" and be able to use the keys below the screen to directly call up a song, style or voice from a 0 - 9 number system.

In a addition to the Tyros 'scroll' feature, what OTHER navigational IMPROVEMENTS have been made on the Tyros vs the PSR2000?

Quote:
The styles Yamaha call "pro" are like nothing I've heard before.

Are the 'pro' styles basically just the styles with the new megavoices added or? Curious to find out WHAT makes the 'pro' styles uniquely different than the others: Session styles, etc.

Quote:
The keys feel good to me. there are lead weights glued to the bottom of each key.

I can only assume (with the added lead weights) that the Tyros key feel must be dramatically improved (more weight resistance & key responsiveness for more sutble playing dynamics control) over the toy feel of the PSR2000, right?

George, I'm curious now to hear how you rate the Tyros 'key feel' compared to the Yamaha 9000pro and PSR9000 and other brand arrangers keyboards.

Thanks for your continued insights.

Scott

#117396 - 12/03/02 09:34 PM Re: Tyros Arrives at Kaye's Music Scene
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Scott,
Some of the other navigational improvements is now you have 6 buttons dedicated for calling up song banks. These banks can be either from the user, floppy or hard drive folders. Like the PSR2000 you can hit the function button next to the icon called "song" and then using the page up button, you can select either preset, user, floppy or hard drive, but with the dedicated song select buttons, you can go to any of 6 places quickly and you can be playing a song from one bank while searching through the other 5. Also, now there is a button in the style selection called preset and user and when I select user, I can use any of the preset catagory buttons as user catagory buttons allowing me to call up a bank of user styles either from the user, floppy or hard drive. An example would be that today I loaded in all my middle eastern styles into a folder on the hard drive called "middle eastern styles" and I put them in the preset catagory button called "world" so that when I select "user" and then hit world, I have access to all my middle eastern styles.
the new "Pro styles" are what If would say are the new Styles the Yamaha engineers told me they would put in this generation keyboard to go head to head with the best from Ketron, Generalmusic and other what we all consider to be the most realistic and exciting styles currently available. Yes, there are many of these featuring the mega guitar voices, but there are dozens and dozens of swing, jazz, funk, country, etc. with the "pro" word associated with the style name. Just wait till you hear them. I can't wait for you to hear the new BEBOP style which in variation "D" trades two bar phrases with the drummer!
There are some of the best ballad, pop and jazz I've ever heard on this board and the music data base has over 1400 selections. I played a version of All I ask of You from the Phantom of the Opera today which was outstanding.
The keyboard is not as heavily weighted as the Ketron SD1 or Genesys, but one of the things I really appreciate is that even though there is aftertouch on this keyboard, you don't hit a key and after hitting the bottom find that you still have a 1/4" or so of movement happening because of the range of aftertouch. On the Tyros, once you hit bottom, if you want aftetouch you just apply more pressure, but the key doesn't physically move any more under your touch. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain. You'd have to feel this to understand completely. It's more like the 9000 pro or the Motif feel, however, as I stated in earlier posts, this is a brand new keyboard and not one used previously.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#117397 - 12/04/02 11:44 AM Re: Tyros Arrives at Kaye's Music Scene
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
In playing around this morning with the Tyros, one of the features I'm really happy was added was the ability to save a registration memory with the sync start function set to on. On the PSR2000, you can't do this. The sync start has to be hit manually before you start the style, but with Tyros, it is saved with the registration.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#117398 - 12/04/02 12:21 PM Re: Tyros Arrives at Kaye's Music Scene
Scottyee Offline

Hi George,

MANY Thanks for your continued Tyros insights and explaination of the Tyros' 'new' features.

The manual Sync start issue on the PSR2000 has always been a re-occurring annoyance for me, so I'm thrilled to hear that it's been addressed & corrected on the Tyros.

I'm even MORE excited now to receive my Tyros.

Scott

#117399 - 12/04/02 04:13 PM Re: Tyros Arrives at Kaye's Music Scene
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWNEW:
Does a 5400rpm drive make any difference over the 4200rpm drives when used in the Tyros?

Here's the answer I got from John Traves, when I asked the SAME question on the Yahoo Groups: TyrosWorld Forum:

"The rotational speed is irrelevant, unless you are worried about a few microseconds, the difference is theoretical rather than practical in this application."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online