SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#117225 - 02/23/04 04:33 AM Re: SC Sucks
trtjazz Offline

Boo
Door #1
If you are interested in a Delta card with a breakout box, I have a Delta Quattro that I am not using anymore that I will let you have at a steal. Software manual and original box included. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

Door #2 I have a Delta 44 internal card, same deal, make me an offer I can't refuse.

Or anyone else that's interested...E me.
Both are mint, I just do not use either anymore, since getting the Tascam gear.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#117226 - 02/23/04 06:01 AM Re: SC Sucks
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Edirol UA20 #1 selling sound card at Keyboard City ! $179.00

#117227 - 02/23/04 08:21 AM Re: SC Sucks
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Boo

Well??? Do you want a card for just listening to music on your computer speakers or do you need a sound card for recording? All of this advice and you haven't made a peep to let us know your intentions. Don't tell me; you just received a huge brick wall building contract and your busier than a cat on a hot tin roof and haven't had time to reply?

Or you've come down with the flu maybe??

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-23-2004).]

#117228 - 02/23/04 12:17 PM Re: SC Sucks
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Well,

I can't leave everything plugged in. The mixer and keyboard are on opposite sides of the room from the computer. With all the problems and then half the time not getting sound, getting noise and three million other things I'm finding it harder to cope with every day. After a week and a half now nothing I like, just a lot of noise out of this stinking sound card.

With a digital on some reviews people claim one can learn enough in a day to start recording with quality I can live with.

I don't want noise, and I don't want a bunch of mistakes with my sax when improvising on a recording. I'm really leaning toward the Fostex or Zoom digitals. Push a button and record direct to from the keyboard sequence and then record a sax part on another track.

It may be necessary to do another take or so on another track to cut and paste bad notes or punch-in and punch-out.

I do want to record some sequences to a stand-alone from my computer software, so I will still need as noiseless a sound card as I can get with out spending much more than $100. If I could be convinced that I could get a super card for $15o-$175, I'd consider that.

I have a Celeron 533 MHz - 256 KB 128 Cache Ls 15 GHD.

So, some of the stuff being recommended won't work on my computer.

No matter what i use to record I will need a sound card.

I'm that close to ordering a Fostex and a Zoom to try and keep what I like. I've done this before with an internet retailer. They let me buy two different products and I pay the shipping on the returned. One time I returned both. Then they got to sell me my Mackie 808Stereo Powered Mixer and I kept that. And they will probably sell me more stuff.

Ok I'm listening! Special thanks to Gary, and Terry for their special help. Everyone has a different outlook. Not one of you play sax so I'm in a different ball park. There's a slight difference in balance recording with my Audio technica MB1000L and a Studio Projects B# I have on loan.

After we get the sound card issue settled, we'll work on mics. My Audio Technica was $100 and they want $200 for the Studio Projects B3.

Man what would I do without you guys! I'm beginning to like the rest of ya'll as much as the one that can't carry a tune in a bucket.

#117229 - 02/23/04 01:35 PM Re: SC Sucks
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
There's several factors to consider Boo in your quest for 'noise free' recordings.

1. Your Computer is older and slower (much like I'm getting ) and will have an extremely hard time dealing with massive amounts of audio data being sent to it and then you try recording that data to your Multi-track software, etc. Noise and distortion can filter in just because your computer is a dog (no offense) and for no other reason. Pops and clicks within the recording are also notorious on slower computers such as yours. Slower computers have a hard time processing the information (data) fast enough. In other words; they can't keep up with what's being fed them and essentially "choke", sputter, bog down, and can't handle it. There's too many 'bottlenecks' within the confines of a slow out of date Computer. The Bus speeds on older Motherboards are a trickle compared to current Motherboards. Older Motherboards can't handle faster RAM specs and speeds like Rambus and DDR or in some cases even SDRAM PC133. And when you have too many instructions bombarding the CPU at once, things start to go awry. Memory plays a huge part. If and when you get a new Computer make sure it has AT LEAST 512 MB of RAM. 1 Gigabyte is even better. 2 Gigabyte is better still, etc., etc. And go for the fastest RAM spec speed you can get whether Rambus or DDR. DDR2 is on the horizon which will be faster yet. The fastest DDR right now is 533MHz. IF you got the dough, GOOOOO for it!

2. Your Mackie 808S Mixer may be a culprit too. The 808S has a significant amount of THD "Total Harmonic Distortion" measuring in at 0.10% @ 8 ohms and 0.15% @ 4 ohms. As a comparison the Mackie 1202 VLZ PRO Mixer has a THD "Total Harmonic Distortion" of under 0.0007%. Also the quality of your preamps on your Mixer plays a part too.

3. The quality of Cables you are using whether it be a Mic Cable or Cables coming out your Mains on your Keyboard also play a part in the scheme of things. The better the Cables the better the sound will be (all things considered equally).

4. The Recording software you use plays a role. For instance; one Brand of software will record audio signals in a pristine manner, in other words; FANTASTIC SOUNDING!! while another is just so so at doing it. So depending on the recording software you use your mileage will vary.

5. And then there is the "Sound Card" which plays THEE most important role in your quest to acheiving quality prisitine noiseless distortion free sound from your recordings.

The better the Sound Card the better your recordings will be (all things considered equally).

6. The Mic you use to record with plays a role too of course. The better the Mic the better the sound needless to say.

Boo, I think it's time to dip into your 401K (if that's possible ) or your nest egg or whatever and first of all get a new Computer. That would be my first step if it were me and I had a dinasaur Computer (no offense meant). Then get a decent Sound Card. Spend the bucks Boo if you're wanting to achieve good noise free recordings. A Sound Blaster Live! just won't do IMO. I could keep going down the list but I hope you're getting the picture here Boo.

These are all my opinions of course Boo. Money may be a big hurdle and you can only do as much as finances allow. Please don't go into debt now, okay??

But if you can swing it you won't be sorry IMHO.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-23-2004).]

#117230 - 02/23/04 06:00 PM Re: SC Sucks
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Well after that Mike the least expensive way to go directly into the XLR (Phantom)on the Fostex, the Zoom doesn't have an XLR input for the Phantom switch required by stuido quality recording Mics it seems

My Mackie has the Phantom switch, but if it is causing some of the noise it's useless.
I definitely need to get a mic that will pick up the sounds coming from the many places on my sax and yet delete the extra noise. I also need the sound card.

Is the sound blaster the only card that will work with my dinosaur computer?

I have to get a brick job. Playing at the coffe house isn't going to pay for any of this stuff.

I'm gonna start off with a sound card and work with Audacity a bit more and if it gets me peaved again, I doing what Terry said and get the stand alone.

Thanks to everyone,
Boo

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online