SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#117128 - 03/15/07 09:24 AM What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You all know my obsession with the Roland Chord Sequencer, Rest in Peace.....! (Not really.... I want to see it rise, zombie-like from the grave to haunt me )

Some of you have had the same thing happen to you in the past, so I thought I would ask the question;

What's your favorite feature that the arranger manufacturer 'dropped' from their newer models?

#117129 - 03/15/07 11:24 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The technics kn1000 (and perhaps other models) had a "Dynamic Accompaniment" button, that when you turned it on, let's say while playing a jazz style, if you took a solo and played with greater velocity, the rhythm pattern in the style would also be 'juiced up' ... it was a subtle, but very nice, feature ...

Of course, now, the feature I miss most is that technics is no longer making these great boards ... ...
t.

#117130 - 03/15/07 11:50 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Dnj Offline

This is Not a "Wish list" But an Answer specificly to the question stated..

On the 3k..........

On Board Harmony Button on/off

On Board Vocalizer Button & lite on/off

#117131 - 03/15/07 11:28 PM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Diki Offline

I also miss the old 'swing' knob from WAY older arrangers and drum machines.

Take ANY rhythm, and gradually make it swing more or less. Nowadays, the rhythms and fills are too defined, but any old straight 8ths or 16ths rhythm could provide a host of variations with nothing more that a varying twist of the 'swing' knob!

There is a lot of different amounts of swing that work, but now you have to have a separate style for each degree of swing. It was so much simpler, back in the day!

#117132 - 03/16/07 03:44 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
The DSP button. I have to put it on the foot switch, but then have to switch back when playing the piano.
Starkeeper

#117133 - 03/16/07 07:03 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
My Yamaha 9000 Pro has Littlite sockets and I have put gooseneck LED Littlites in them (the LED bulbs are expected to last 50,000+ hours). I use the 9000 Pro as a second tier keyboard with a graded hammer action 88-note controller on the first tier. The lights give the entire setup a beautiful light blue glow, plus the display panel of the 9000 Pro is light blue and I've setup a light blue background on my Music Pad Pro. The lighting effect is easy on the eyes and provides total illumination without any other lighting. No other keyboard has the Littlite sockets to my knowledge and it's a terrific feature.

#117134 - 03/16/07 08:48 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Diki Offline

Interesting, Esh. Has anyone used the USB connectors on T2s, etc., to power a USB light?

#117135 - 03/17/07 05:06 PM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
The technics kn1000 (and perhaps other models) had a "Dynamic Accompaniment" button, that when you turned it on, let's say while playing a jazz style, if you took a solo and played with greater velocity, the rhythm pattern in the style would also be 'juiced up'

they have this feature on the Roland E60, and it's very
nicely done, programmable to what degree of dynamic for each part...it was also on the Genesys ProS i used to have, but not programmable and too extreme for my taste.

------------------
Miami Mo

#117136 - 03/17/07 05:55 PM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The Casio MZ-2000 had that feature! It did the same thing. Can't remember what they called it though.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#117137 - 03/17/07 05:59 PM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Esh,
The "MEDIASTATION" has the light-sockets. I think that's a very cool feature to have on any keyboard be it arranger or synth.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#117138 - 03/17/07 06:29 PM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
keysvocalssax Offline

the dedicated row of buttons on the GW7 and Exr7 that
said bass-drum/combo/full were dropped for the E50/60.
seems like that was a great idea that was dropped in favor
of other buttons which are a lot less useful.

the d-beam functions that used to be primarily for user controls that are now mostly for silly sounds.

the global options on most kb's that used to control a whole lot more parameters than they do now. fine for those that will program every song/style/parameter to the last detail and call up the same ones all the time..not fine
for those that would like a global reverb, mix, etc..and just override it when they want to.

------------------
Miami Mo

#117139 - 03/17/07 07:04 PM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Diki Offline

Yeah, Mo, I've posted to Roland about those missing BsDrm/Combo/Full buttons. Even a soft-set on the mixer page would be good.

But there IS one problem.... Except for official Roland styles, you would have to edit that information into EVERY style you imported, including some older Roland styles, and DEFINITELY every third party style. Or else, how does the arranger know what part is on what track?

Oh yes, there is supposed to be a sort of Roland 'standard', but few other than Roland adhere to it. So be prepared for a LOT of work if you have an extensive style library......

BTW, they've had the 'Dynamic Arranger' feature on Roland's for donkey's years. Probably most others, too....

You can also use it to the extreme (on Roland's, anyway), by completely muting some parts at lower velocities, and others at high, for a sort of velocity cross-switch on the internal Parts. Sometimes it's better that the guitarist start double-timing it, or swinging harder at higher velocities, rather than just playing a bit louder..... Now if only Roland would give us more than one Drum Part....

Also, Mo, have you found the D-Beam control for ACC Off? That's what i tend to use it for, mostly. Leaves B&D running, and mutes ALL ACC. Would be nice to have the Combo choice, too, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad (at least according to Meatloaf!)

Your other choice is to write three UPGs next to each other, with the Arranger Parts muted for the B&D and Combo sections, and HOLD Style and KBD Mode (tempo will hold if Auto is on). This will do the same thing. Although there are some missing buttons for different features, as you can see from this thread, everyone has their own different thing they miss, and modern arrangers have SO many parameters, it is impossible to find panel space for them ALL....

But Roland's OS is so flexible, you can usually find another way of doing anything if you just are prepared to think 'outside the box' and get away from the way you USED to do things. The Set List, combined with Hold parameters is exceptionally powerful, and if you are OK with being forced into Left Zone chord recognition every time, the OTS and its' hold section can also do a lot of muting work, amongst other things.

Keep at it, I'm sure you'll find a way!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 03-17-2007).]

#117140 - 03/17/07 11:51 PM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
There is a setting on the PSR3000 that few owners are aware of. The Style can set to respond to your velocity playing which increases the volume of the accompaniment.

Function \ Style Setting & Split Point \ Style Touch.

#117141 - 03/18/07 02:20 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Graham,

You're probably aware, but I'd like to add that the Tyros1/2 have style touch as well...it is a great feature.

It was also on the PSR-2000.

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.

#117142 - 03/18/07 04:39 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Being able to add the style groove function to the styles in real time. As far as I know, the PSR740 ( maybe the 9000 too ? ) was the last board that had this feature. Starting with the 2k, we now have to enter the style edit menu in order to do this. It was a lot cooler when I could do it in real time on the 740 as I was playing the style.

AJ

#117143 - 03/18/07 04:40 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I like the chord sequencer idea too. Very nice function that I have with the MZ2000.

AJ

#117144 - 03/18/07 10:52 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
keysvocalssax Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
[B}Also, Mo, have you found the D-Beam control for ACC Off? That's what i tend to use it for, mostly. Leaves B&D running, and mutes ALL ACC.
[/B]

yep, that's the one I use, acc off. was using it for bass off but found the bass lines pretty good mostly, so when i do want to pump my own bass, just turn off acc w/button or balance knob, maybe use the bass/ride sound for a little more swing to it.

good suggestions re finding alternate pathways. the HOLD button is something I'm finding very useful as i learn the ropes, and your additonal suggestions are giving me ideas. here's how I'm alternate-pathing the foot control:
i use the expression pedal as a stop/start by jerking it
all the way up. I leave the rh lead at 3/4 volume so I can
still play notes w/pedal up. I can use it for fade-out, too, but finding it very tricky for that and even for expression
because it requires perfect programming plus extremely sensitive action with foot. hoping this is a fine skill i can
develop..so far i haven't got the hang of very slow even
uptake on the pedal, and stopping the uptake at just the right point. but, hey, it's better than just having a switch
pedal set to start/stop and only that. also finding just
fading with the left hand on volume knob is better than
having to move to fade-out on the d-beam menu.

#117145 - 08/01/07 11:15 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Diki Offline

There's a few things from Fran's E600 I didn't know Roland had dropped (or even had!).

Primarily, the Sequencer and Arranger synced together, and you could play both at the same time (mute the SMF drums and use the arranger's, for instance)... This is one of my most important requests (after the Chord Sequencer). I can't believe Rolands USED to be able to do this and dropped it

Besides two variations for styles..each variation has 4 selectable style orchestration buttons (to mute parts in certain variations?)

4 programmable phrase buttons (were these like multi-pads?)

Dedicated piano , with adjustable open/close and stretch tune (stretch tuning? Where's that on the G70/E80??)

Damper, sostenuto, and soft pedal jacks (now damper only, and the rest to the limited FC-7 choices)

Jeez.... Is there someone at Roland going 'This is a GREAT feature! We need to drop it ASAP '

Morons....

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-01-2007).]

#117146 - 08/01/07 11:59 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#117147 - 08/01/07 01:07 PM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Dnj Offline

The question should be WHY did these manufacturers DROP these features?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-01-2007).]

#117148 - 08/02/07 10:31 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Diki Offline

I think they do their market research exclusively on nonprofessionals and hobbyists that all use One Finger Chords (It's what all their default settings use! )

You ask a moron what they think of a product, you get moronic answers, and then make moronic decisions. I KNOW they don't ask their demonstrators - Nicolai Damgaard (one of their top European demonstrators) STILL has to use a G1000 on his own gigs, because they dropped the Chord Sequencer...

I KNOW they don't poll hobbyists for their workstation market research.... That division CARES about whether they compete professionally.

#117149 - 08/03/07 01:55 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
spalding4 Offline

Loc: england
I too had the Technics KN1000. What a keyboard !!! The dynamic arranger function was fantastic and very very innovative. It would trigger off different licks and bass patterns determined by how hard you hit the keys, how fast your own runs were an d how complex the chords that you played were and various invesions used. I never exhausted that feature and just when you thought you had heard every variation that he instrument could produce , it would throw another splendid idea at you so that you were actively encouraged (by the instrumnent no less ! ) to jam with yourself !

That was a truly awesome feature and brought me endless hours of fun and inspiration. Even though i own my ultimate keyboard (PA1X) I miss Technics........

#117150 - 08/03/07 06:39 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I also miss the old 'swing' knob from WAY older arrangers and drum machines.

Take ANY rhythm, and gradually make it swing more or less. Nowadays, the rhythms and fills are too defined, but any old straight 8ths or 16ths rhythm could provide a host of variations with nothing more that a varying twist of the 'swing' knob!

There is a lot of different amounts of swing that work, but now you have to have a separate style for each degree of swing. It was so much simpler, back in the day!

Wow, do I remember that one. I was working for Wurlitzer at the time and that little dial sold a lot of organs in its day.

#117151 - 08/04/07 12:12 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Graham UK Offline

PSR5700 had a solo feature of 8 bars that would solo improvise when you stopped playing right hand melody. This was dropped on future keyboards.

Technics KN's provided 2 of PADS that did a solo similar.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 08-04-2007).]

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 08-04-2007).]

#117152 - 08/04/07 07:04 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
cassp Offline

I sure do miss that Long Island Ice Tea that dropped off the suitcase and spilled all over the floor. Not only did I not get another, but i had to clean up sticky mess all over the cords.

(Now tell me that's never happened to you.)

#117153 - 08/04/07 07:40 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I sure do miss that Long Island Ice Tea that dropped off the suitcase and spilled all over the floor. Not only did I not get another, but i had to clean up sticky mess all over the cords.

(Now tell me that's never happened to you.)

Never happened to me.

#117154 - 08/04/07 08:31 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Diki Offline

Got to drink it BEFORE you get to the bandstand!

Water only, around the gear...

#117155 - 08/04/07 09:49 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
cassp Offline

I confess... I'm strictly a water guy too. I just tried to make a funny; guess not today

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 08-04-2007).]

#117156 - 08/04/07 10:02 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Dnj Offline

Drink what ever you want ....just put it in a closed sealed plastic container with a straw & keep it on the floor...

"Murphy's Law"

#117157 - 08/04/07 10:51 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yamaha PSR 740 and PSR8000 had a button that would change the feel of ANY style, in effect giving you two sets of styles. On the 8000 you could change the "swing" and save it to a bank. The 740 did it automatically. Very neat feature.
DonM

#117158 - 08/07/07 07:34 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Sander Offline

Loc: Hoogeveen, Drenthe, The Nether...
Style Morphing!

It was still on the Roland VA-7, but discontinued after that...

Such a bad thing! With style morphing, you could choose which Drums, Bass or Accompanient-part you would like from 2 selected styles. It is great if you have 1 song and would like to 'mix' it to the next one, almost like a DJ.

#117159 - 08/07/07 08:04 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Graham UK Offline

I think over time different teams of people design the models without looking what was previously offered.
I even know one brand where the different departments, keyboards piano's, synths don't even get together to discuss their own range of models and so share their combined knowledge.

It's as if....on a new model design....that was a good feature so lets not put it on the next new model.

#117160 - 08/07/07 09:16 AM Re: What's your favorite 'dropped' feature...?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
I think over time different teams of people design the models without looking what was previously offered.

It's as if....on a new model design....that was a good feature so lets not put it on the next new model.

I think your first idea was the right one. If you don't even KNOW what the previous models did, what chance have you got of incorporating their best features in a new arranger?

I don't believe it is malice... I just believe it is ignorance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online