SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#117053 - 10/20/06 08:29 AM Dress code...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A few weeks ago I was invited to attend a summer's end party at a local marina, one that would feature three bands, all of which were good to excellent performers, but played way too loud for the venue size. The bands consisted of individuals ranging from 25 to 60 years of age, and for the most part they all appeared as if they just came from working 8 hours on a highway construction job. Nearly all wore jeans that were nasty looking at best, Tee shirts, workboots, and some wore cowboy hats. There's nothing wrong with cowboy hats, and when I performed in a country band we all wore them. However, we also wore silk cowboy shirts with string ties, fancy boots, black slacks and we were clean shaven. Some of the performers looked as if they hadn't seen a razor in a week.

I personally try to dress as professional looking as possible for each job. The attire changes somewhat depending on the season, but in all instances the shoes are highly polished, the shirts, most of which are satin, are pressed, and I prefer black slacks to go with most of the outfits. For weddings, which I rarely do anymore unless the bridge and groom are at least 55 years of age, it's a black tux in the winter, and a white tux in the summer.

I guess you can say I'm a nut case about looking professional, and I have an entire walk-in closet filled with outfits just for musical performances. I recently found an excellent outfit to purchase fancy vests at www.sandhuniforms.com . The prices were excellent and the quality is superb. Check them out. They also have some great looking oxford leather shoes specially made for those of you who prefer to stand while performing.

What do you wear while performing?

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#117054 - 10/20/06 08:45 AM Re: Dress code...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I live and work in the Florida panhandle, and rarely find a gig that needs much more than casual attire. Even weddings around here tend to be casual affairs!

I honestly don't think I even know a local musician who owns a tuxedo! Tidy slacks and a comfortable shirt for indoors, shorts and tee for outside (it's a little hot for formal, here!) are the norm.

I guess it's always a case of fitting in with your customers, rather than some kind of preset dress code - we're not doctors and priests, after all....!

#117055 - 10/20/06 09:01 AM Re: Dress code...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
If it is formal, like a wedding or a political meeting, it’s tux.

Condo dances ect, a suit or sports jacket.

All others casual, shirt and slacks.
I feel you must match/respect what is being worn.

Years back my group had jump suits. Top (Vest) and bottom one piece with a very colorful shirt and a tuxedo jacket (same material) which we removed when we got going.

Question; Nursing homes are fairly new for me, what do you wear at these jobs.

John C.

#117056 - 10/20/06 09:08 AM Re: Dress code...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Always dress as good or better than the people you perform for....And never lower your standards...The poorest I will dress is dress jeans and a sport shirt...for outdoor at the shore jobs...There is no need to dress sloppy...If you expect to get paid the big bucks...you better look the part..

All formal jobs are Tuxedos..

Lower your dress standards and you lowered your market value..

#117057 - 10/20/06 09:26 AM Re: Dress code...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
BIG lol - on me. When I saw the link I expected some fancy, brocaided, eastern influenced designs. So it's actually S&H Uniforms, not Sandh Uniforms - makes a difference in my perception

As for dressing on the job - unless it's a VERY casual picnic or pool party, black slacks and a dress shirt are the MINIMUM. A nice black suit works best for us. We used to wear tuxes, but the suit idea works best 90% of the time.

#117058 - 10/20/06 09:35 AM Re: Dress code...
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I usually wear jeans and a cool shirt. The gigs I usually do are piano bars, so I usually try to look sharp, but casual. But when I play weddings, cocktail parties and such I always wear a nice suit. I learned this the hard way. I got a gig playing at a very high class country club. I thought I was playing a piano bar, so I dressed in cool jeans and a nice shirt. When I got into the bar, the bartender told med to talk to the manager for some instructions. After I talked to the manager and he asked me if I wanted to change clothes. And I didn't understand why he wanted me to change clothes. It turns out I had misunderstood the gig. I was really playing a 50th anniversary for a CEO of a nationwide fashion company. This was a big gala event with 100s of guest all dressed in black tie and big evening gowns. Since this was miles away from home, I had no choice but to borrow a jacket from the manager, and perform in jeans, a shirt and a sport coat. Well I felt pretty out of place. So ever since, I've always dressed to the ocation!

Doc-Z

#117059 - 10/20/06 10:33 AM Re: Dress code...
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I would expect it depends on if you're booking yourself as an artist with an identity or as a musician for hire. In other words, shows I get hired to do are events that want to book Rory Hoffman the artist. They are not looking to hire any musician, regardless who he is, just so there is music at their event. If you're trying to become an artist with a name, you might want to pick a look and stick with it, modifications allowed of course. If you hire Allen Jackson to do a show you have a pretty good idea what he's going to look like. But if the gig isn't about you, but you're more of an anonymous person performing a service, then by all means fit in to the situation you're hired to play.

#117060 - 10/20/06 10:40 AM Re: Dress code...
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida

#117061 - 10/20/06 11:33 AM Re: Dress code...
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
That's a very nice outfit! You look like a latin ballrom dancer! What kind of keyboard you playing?

Doc-Z

#117062 - 10/20/06 12:26 PM Re: Dress code...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
For the formal gigs I usually where a Black Tux same for summer as long as it's indoors with air conditioning. For the more casual summer gigs, it's a Hawaiian style shirt with black slacks. During the cooler months for less formal gigs I pretty much dress similar to how Chris Valenti dresses.

I agree with Fran

Quote:

Always dress as good or better than the people you perform for.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 10-20-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online