SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#116882 - 10/10/07 06:16 PM If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
.....then run away !

Now, please.

Sheesh .... I can't believe people are really bashing our GREAT host and friend!
Man, oh man .... just go away and complain to someone else!

I LOVE it here and I trust Nigel's patience and input in EVERY instance. It's HIS court....HIS ball ..... if you don't like it - you don't have to play. In fact, many of us ( ME included ) would rather you DIDN'T !

Nigel ... YOU ROCK!
Stay focused, my friend. You are loved and appreciated. I for one, NEED this place.
Fondly,
Uncle Dave

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 10-10-2007).]

#116883 - 10/10/07 09:17 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thanks for your very kind support Dave. I just try the best I can but I really don't like to rule with a heavy hand cos I think people should be able to talk freely without thinking someone is continually looking over their shoulder making sure everything they say is politically correct.

There is enough restriction online without me adding to it.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-14-2007).]

#116884 - 10/10/07 09:33 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nigel,

What REALLY impresses me lately, is that the site has taken on a bit more class with the return of several long term members who had either left, or were lurking because of re-occurring issues that had become a bit unpleasant.

These members, most of whom were here before me, have really brightened up the place, and have taken it in a new and positive direction.

I don't know what the catalyst was for their sudden en masse return, but I am glad it happened, and I hope any others that have been absent, will follow in their footsteps and add their voices and knowledge to this forum.

Judging by the posts I've read lately, and also several personal e-mails sent to me, I'm not the only one that is happy to see so many friends of this forum return to roost.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but it seems much more civil here lately...I hope it continues.

Thanks, Nigel, for your open minded approach to forum moderation...it surely keeps this place both interesting AND informative.

Ian the Impressed

#116885 - 10/11/07 02:48 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Ian , I certainly agree. I have looked in daily for the past five years, and find it is returning to it's hayday, thanks to the old time contributors.

Bernie

#116886 - 10/11/07 04:29 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
ianmcnll Offline

Yes, Bernie, and in spite of Dave's rather negative allegations that some members are "bashers", the spirit of the forum has actually improved by a great amount.

Negativity never accomplished anything, but now, with the positive spirit of the returning members, perhaps you will be proven right, and this place will return to it's former heyday.

T'would be nice.

Ian

#116887 - 10/11/07 04:59 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Dave,Nigel,Ian, Bernie.

Congrats for very well placed words.

Chico

#116888 - 10/11/07 06:07 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I've never doubted the caliber of most of the information on SZ. I enjoy participating in a keyboard based forum to learn and hear new ideas and sharing some of my own.

There was no single reason why I returned when I did. Just felt like the right time.

Many of us have been around Nigel's place for several years. Its awesome that he's able to provide this to us at the high level he does. We should never take this for granted, because it can all be gone in an instant...

There will always be "tweakers." They exist on every message board out there. Members can directly tweak people by intentionally being harsh or rude or pushing buttons that they know damn well will aggravate others. There's another tweaker as well...The kind that under the pretense of wanting NOTHING but the nicest, warmest, fuzziest of forums actually and perhaps unwittingly, does damage. Oversensitivity can be just as confounding as insensitivity...

This has probably been overly discussed, but the magic of this forum and others like it is when we're on topic, exchanging musical ideas and examples. Ideas, demos, etc. should always be welcome no matter the quality or experience of the supplier.

In short, the casual musician on this forum should feel just as comfortable sharing things as the pros do. Honestly, IMO, a burden falls more on the pros around here to make the amateurs feel welcome. Its just good manners, common sense and the right way to do things.

We were ALL amateurs at one point, lest we forget...

#116889 - 10/11/07 07:06 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hmmmmmmm.

I hope I'm not one of the ones perceived as "bashing Nigel".

(I didn't realise there WAS a bashing currently underway).

I haven't visited for a few days, but in case any of this is directed my way, I'm sorry it might've appeared as if I was pretending to know how to run a forum, I was merely imparting my experience - and exercising some free speech in the appropriate thread.

I think I've been nothing but supportive on the whole.

If UD's comment has nothing to do with me, but more to do with other member's words, then I apologise for being incredibly paranoid.

Peace out.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#116890 - 10/11/07 07:35 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
ianmcnll Offline

Hellboy,

Personally I think most of us would be paranoid after reading Dave's post especially if we speak candidly or openly about something that may peeve us.

Vagueness of both intent and content cause more damage than speaking openly, in my opinion, which is why I found Dave's post a tad on the negative side even though he did suavely praise our host, Nigel.

I always read your posts with interest and respect as you always call a spade a spade.

Ian

#116891 - 10/11/07 07:59 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I could be all wrong here but I believe it was this quote that triggered UD's post:

"Though others may not agree, I honestly sense an urgency now for a more active forum moderator(s) who can devote more time to better keeping tabs on the threads to keep them focussed on topic, as well as prevent them from becoming so easily hijacked (and escalated into all out war) as they have so often become recently.

Scott"

If that's the case, then I can't say that he is entirely off-base. Is that open enough?

chas

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online