SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#116912 - 10/11/07 07:50 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Uh...actually I meant... uh...yes, whatever you say, Nigel. ...smack! smack!

Taike

#116913 - 10/11/07 08:23 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I am so impressed that we have a very active thread on forum behavior that has managed to remain civil.

THIS is why Nigel is my forum hero !
Keep up the great work, my friend!

#116914 - 10/12/07 12:41 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
How nice to see guns holstered and the boys reunited.

#116915 - 10/12/07 03:12 AM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yep...I gotta agree.

Nigel, you're a cool guy!

#116916 - 10/13/07 03:02 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Dnj Offline

Nigel..........

#116917 - 10/13/07 03:46 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Unfortunately, the ratio of civil to uncivil posts drops as Nigel is seen to not moderate. Some pretty ugly things stopped dead in their tracks only because he closed them, and now we are all behaving like good little children now teacher is back in the room.

The test is whether they can remain that way without his constant attention. Eventually, time pressures and his other interests may return Nigel to a more occasional visitor. What happens AFTER that occurs is what is going to be the true test of the membership. All is peace love and understanding right now, but for how long?

How to balance civility with the needs of the forum, to actually HEAR what members want to post? I don't believe, as some are saying, that NO demos should be posted. Nor do I believe that ANY posted demo should just be greeted with a 'nice one, mate!' no matter WHAT it's quality.

Appropriate response is always the key. Newbie and self-admitted rank amateurs DO deserve encouragement, no matter the quality, perhaps with a tip or two to improve the NEXT one. Intermediates, if they post they ARE looking for criticism and advice should receive it (and, after all, what's the point of posting if NOT to receive a peer review? Vanity?) but never with malice. There are plenty of constructive things you can say without just patting someone on the back.

Pro submissions deserve to be critiqued as such, but, once again, without malice. However, it is up to the demo submitter to be prepared to take a poor review, and not escalate it into a war. Argue about the points of the critique, certainly, but I have never seen the point of personally attacking the poster... It's only music, after all.

Self-styled 'experts' need to understand that their postings need to reflect their opinions. I include myself amongst those (!), and am always happy to receive any comments, and even EXPECT to be called out if what I say and what I demo don't match. That is only fair. But once again, it need never descend to personal insults. EVER...

This is quite a unique place, with arranger aficionados of ALL walks of life and experience. To not take advantage of the shared knowledge here is a waste. But it will only come if those with the experience to offer are not shackled by dread of committing some faux pas to an overly sensitive poster that just wants a pat on the back.

Just pretend (however hard this might be!) that you are in a room with some friends, all of whom play arrangers... You play something that stinks, and one of your friends laughs and goes 'That's not so good!'. Would you get as riled up as if the same thing happened here? Probably not... Let's try to get back to that degree of cameradie, and be a little less thin-skinned.

And those of us that DO offer criticism, let's try to remember we are critiquing the music, not the man...

Peace out, y'all......

#116918 - 10/13/07 04:16 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
well said, diki

#116919 - 10/13/07 05:26 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yep...that about covers it pretty well...good one Diki.

Ian

#116920 - 10/14/07 12:43 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Eventually, time pressures and his other interests may return Nigel to a more occasional visitor.

You are right off target Diki. I am NEVER an occasional visitor. I read the forums EVERY day. Because I don't post to a thread or delete postings does not mean I didn't see them. Sure a thread may develop over the day before I see what is happening but I always end up seeing it that day and decide whether to allow it to continue or not.

This is why I'm not interested in having someone else moderate. No-one has the time to monitor the forums hourly which is what it would take to quickly stop threads that start to go out of control. So I just deal with them on a daily basis. The only exception is if I am out of town once in while and can't get to a computer with web access. I am definately not going to stop living my life to play baby sitter every hour of the day.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-14-2007).]

#116921 - 10/14/07 04:42 PM Re: If you don't like the way Nigel runs things....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Nigel,
We'd ALL be a lot pooer if not for YOUR place here. Thanx again!
UD

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online