SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116815 - 11/17/01 02:52 AM Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
BossX Offline

Loc: Chitown, USA
I'm a pro player working solo and already have all the speakers I need and don't want to lug the extra weight. Who knows which arrangers don't have built in speakers?
I've never used an arranger but I want one now.
By the way I hear the Gem SK760 doesn't... but somewhere on this forum I read about it having a bass dropout problem (sometimes).
I knowof the PSR900pro ... no speakers. I've even heard of a module made by Solton that couldbe used (I guess) with a controller keyboard. I don't know what kind of success that would bring.
I almost sprung for a Korg PA80... bnut the speaker thing... I just had to hold off. I just don't see the point of having speakers on a keyboard on a live stage.
Soooooo.... can you help? Thanks for the help.

#116816 - 11/17/01 04:37 AM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
Jocko Offline

BossX,
As you have found out, most all of the arrangers have speakers, as they are meant usually for a different crowd.
You can however turn them off like on the PA 80.
My suggestion is to buy an arranger that you like the way it plays the voices and overall how it works and put the speakers last on your list, meaning, it doesn't make sense to by an arranger that has lousy sound patches and is a nightmare to use, just because it doesn't have speakers.
The cool thing about having speakers, is if you want to just fire up and compose a bit or take it to practice or wherever, you don't have to lug your speakers too.
Terry

#116817 - 11/17/01 04:40 AM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
There are several keyboards without speakers.
Such as i.e. ketron SD1, Yamaha PSR9000 Pro and
if I'm not wrong the Roland VA76.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#116818 - 11/17/01 07:26 AM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
Shaz Offline

I started out with the Yamaha PSR line, but I found I was never using the "styles" or any of the other "special features" of those boards; and I too didn't see the point of the built-in speakers. Frankly, as the built-in speakers go I think the PSR-262 (which you can get for under $200) sounded much better than the speakers on the PSR-550 (which you'll be paying more in the arena of $500 for.)

Where I landed was the Motif6. It doesn't sound like this is the board for you though -- it is about 3 times as heavy as the PSR-550, and you mentioned weight as a factor. I have to agree with the Jocko and say that you should not worry about the speakers -- go for the board that matches your personal critera minus the speaker issue. For me, my priorities were:

1. Key Feel (and effect, souch as after touch),
2. Expandability (memory, sounds, patterns.. you name it - I want to be able to expand on it),
3. Features (sampling, arpeggio...)
4. Sounds
5. Product Support

I got lucky, in that although product support was last on my list the Yamaha Motif6 which matched my other criteria to a T has probably the best support out there.

Honestly though... You'll be doing yourself a favor if you overlook the speakers and re-prioritize a little in what you want and expect. Let us know what you end up going with!

-Shaz

#116819 - 11/17/01 09:32 AM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
BossX. I too initally felt that built in speakers just added needless weight. I would always shut them off by inserting a 1/4" jack into the headphone socket. After reading comments from others here who said they liked using the internal speakers for stage monitoring purposes, I realized exactly what they were talking about. Without the built in speakers, you cannot really hear (or gage) what the audience is actually hearing. I now find having built in speakers very useful for both solo gig and stage performance venues. - Scott

#116820 - 11/17/01 09:57 AM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mentioned in another thread--the PA80 and PSR2000 are much lighter, even with the speakers, than any of the non-speakers boards that I know about.
DonM

#116821 - 11/17/01 10:42 AM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
PA80: 30 lbs (13.9kg)
PSR2000: 23 lbs (10.5 kg)

#116822 - 11/17/01 02:14 PM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

And me, XXXXXXlbs
GJ

That's about XXXX kg's............

#116823 - 11/17/01 02:21 PM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Yes, and I suppose that you are priceless, aren't you, Gunnar?

#116824 - 11/17/01 03:40 PM Re: Which arrangers DON'T have speakers?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Dreamer, as usual, your perfectly right
GJ

Btw, how much did you say..... ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online