SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#116792 - 10/13/00 05:19 PM X4 user apologizes
Jim Henry Offline

Loc: Surprise AZ USA
I've removed my lengthy posting about my quirky X4. As I read and re-read my zero response posting over the past couple days, it seemed like I was a new, unproven voice who was dissing an instrument beloved by the BBS regulars (except for maybe Beakybird).

So, let me introduce myself more politely: I've used and loved Soltons (and their Auto Orchestra ancestors) for 21 years. As a guitarist who must trigger diminished and augmented chords with his foot, I've never even considered other manufacturers' units which offer fewer remotely controlled chord tonalities.

So, men and women of the arranger keyboard world, I, too, am very excited about my X series Solton. It's just that, until I figure out its quirks which are making it currently unplayable, I'm feeling frustrated and foolish. I thought my solo giggin' compadres might have a suggestion.

I know I'll find a solution sooner or later. Meantime, I'm just happy to hear all you folks who know each other chat so positively about the "boys in the band." I wouldn't have been able to follow this career without my Soltons.

Jim Henry

#116793 - 10/13/00 05:26 PM Re: X4 user apologizes
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you get down to it, most X1 users will admit to a "love-hate" relationship to some degree. Solton does a lot of things their own way, but they do make beautiful music. I still maintain they are harder to learn than some other brands, but maybe I'm just slow.
Don

#116794 - 10/13/00 07:08 PM Re: X4 user apologizes
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hello Jim,
Just a quick line to say hello. As someone recently converted to Roland after using technics stuff for ages I am as yet uninitiated in the apparent joys of owning a Solton (tho if the enthusiasm on this forum is anything to go by I am begining to think I should try them out)

Everyone here is really friendly. I got my new Roland a couple of weeks ago and got loads of help with a problem I had connecting my Digitech.

I can't keep away now... It is really cool to have a place where we are all interested (and often passionate) about making music whilst having such a diverse mix of people and views at the same time. I love it.

The only thing is that when people extol the virtues of their particular brand I end up thinking I am missing out and want them all

See you around Jim
Tony

#116795 - 10/14/00 08:29 AM Re: X4 user apologizes
Jim Henry Offline

Loc: Surprise AZ USA
Thanks, DonM and Tony W, for responding.

Don, your "love/hate" relationship with Soltons comment is so true. I remember a unit which had a tempo flux gremlin and another whose four-switch pedal needed constant maintenance (thank God for solder, epoxy, duct tape, and patient customers!). No, I won't see a Solton as a centerfold . . . but I'll marry one!

Tony, I'm guesing that most of us solo giggers laud our particular rigs not so much for their techno geewhizzability but because they become extensions of our own musical and entertaining selves. That kind of easy, in-the-hands-and-feet relationship creates a brand loyalty bordering on turf defending love. I'm just as curious as the next player about what sounds/capabilities the other brands offer; but I know my Solton (and, I swear, my Solton knows me!), and I get twinges of guilt when I consider defecting to another brand. On the practical side, I hesitate to learn a totally new interface. So I stick with Solton.

Again, thanks for the welcome. Felt good!

Jim Henry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online