SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116627 - 06/01/07 11:18 AM How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious... How many of us use MORE than one keyboard on their gigs?

What do you use, and how do you set up (on top or side by side)? And perhaps a bit of info on WHY you chose to use multiple keyboards....

#116628 - 06/01/07 11:34 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Only one board since 1998 when I got the G1000..Prior to that I always used 2 boards..25 years ago ..3 boards..

Now just give me one 45 pound keyboard that does it all...

#116629 - 06/01/07 11:43 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I always use the Roland DisCover5 - it replaces a Yammy 2k and a Roland SC88 (hooked to a laptop). The laptop isn't needed anymore. I'll also take along my VR760 most of the time. Now I've bought a Roland E09 to kind of handle style stuff, I haven't used it out yet. If I did I'd probably leave the 760 at home. Two keyboards are more than enough any job.

I sometimes used the 2k alone, but that was for small jobs where I didn't feel I needed the VK's drawbars. But then again,I had the SC88 running the midi files off the laptop.

#116630 - 06/01/07 11:54 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Love to use multiple keyboards. On "one nighters", I use an MS-60(soon to be replaced with an SD-5) and an old Yamaha tone generator, driven by a controller, on top.

At my country club job, I use a B-3, 147RV, Suitcase Rhodes on my right hand and a DX-7 on top (very old school, but fun).

My new house set-up will be an XB-7 Hammond on the bottom, an SD-5 in the center and a MicroKorg an top. I'll have a Kursweil digital piano on my right hand. All will go thru a sub-mixer into the PA.

Am just comfortable with a piano on my right hand, and it looks like I know more and am better than I really am!

Ah, "show-biz"!

R.

#116631 - 06/01/07 05:25 PM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

My new house set-up will be an XB-7 Hammond on the bottom, an SD-5 in the center and a MicroKorg an top. I'll have a Kursweil digital piano on my right hand. All will go thru a sub-mixer into the PA.

Hi Russ,

You mean a Hammond XB-2, of course.

By the way, no mail yet this week so maybe next week.

Taike

#116632 - 06/04/07 08:38 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
OK... have you all beat....

in the late 80's... I actually played and traveled with 9 keyboards at one time.

These consisted of 3 Ultimate Support 3-tier Apache style stands, each holding 3 keybards, arranged in a u-shape. I can't remember all the keyboards becuase they have been given away, were borrowed, etc. Some were ROland JX-3P, Yamaha YP-40 (The first ever Clavinova), Korg DSS-1 sampling synth, KOrg SG-1D sampling grand, Korg Ploy-800, a few mono synths, a Crumar Traveler Organ

Some of them I used one sound on one song and 2 I never even plugged in... they were for looks...

I was 19 or so and they just looked cool. I even went through a "red rocker" phase and painted all three stands fire engine red, painted some of the keyboards and the mixer the same red and even bought a matching red pants and top to match (including a single red fingerless glove).

Anyway... I'm down to 2 for my gig these days...

Yamaha DGX-500 and Korg PA1x-Pro

Have 6 other keyboards around my office, studio and home studio.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#116633 - 06/05/07 09:53 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Just curious... How many of us use MORE than one keyboard on their gigs?

What do you use, and how do you set up (on top or side by side)? And perhaps a bit of info on WHY you chose to use multiple keyboards....

Typically only two keyboards these days but back in the day:
[img]http://www.generalmusic.us/WDM%20Data/Dave's%20photos/Dave's%201970's%20set-up.jpg[/img]
And I loved every minute of it!!!

Dave

#116634 - 06/05/07 10:11 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dave, how did you get out of the box to go to the restroom..

#116635 - 06/05/07 10:35 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Diki Offline

I bet your roadies just LOVED you!

Which two do you use to replace all that kit? And what style of music was all that used for... Looks like a great prog-rocker's rig...

#116636 - 06/05/07 11:37 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Dave, how did you get out of the box to go to the restroom..

I normally climbed out underneath the CP30. Come to think of it there were also times that I slept under the CP30. lol

Dave

#116637 - 06/05/07 11:44 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I bet your roadies just LOVED you!

Which two do you use to replace all that kit? And what style of music was all that used for... Looks like a great prog-rocker's rig...

Roadies? I don't need no stinking roadies! Being the somewhat meticulous kind of guy that I am I wouldn't have trusted anyone else to mess with my rig anyway. I had a Dodge stretch van (the kind where the motor was kind of in between the two front seats) that everything except my two bass dumps would fit into.

Our set list consisted of King Crimson, Genesis, Yes and also bands that were more current at that time like Boston, etc.

Dave

#116638 - 06/05/07 12:43 PM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
Okay Dave,

I concede (humbly takes crown of my head and holds it out to King Dave)

I'm not worthy!!!! (Bows low)

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#116639 - 06/05/07 12:59 PM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Diki Offline

So dave, can I assume that you are NOT one of the '25 lb. and under' at ANY cost crowd..?

#116640 - 06/05/07 06:20 PM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
So dave, can I assume that you are NOT one of the '25 lb. and under' at ANY cost crowd..?

The heavier the better!!! But seriously...

The weight has never been an issue really. If the sound that I am looking for happens to come in a hefty package then so be it. Of course I'm not saying that some of these lighter keyboards don't sound good, they're just not for me.

I've got to say that I had the most fun playing when I was surrounded by all those keyboards. And mind you there were no presets on any of those. Most of the time I was programming the synths that I was not playing on the current tune getting them ready for the next song. It was work but man it was fun! Unfortunately many of the younger players have no idea of just what was involved back then or just how amazing the new instruments all-in-one instruments really are.

Dave

#116641 - 06/06/07 10:53 AM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Diki Offline

Oh to be young again! I feel guilty enough just limiting myself to ONE keyboard for gigs, but at least I don't mind HOW much it weighs, as long as it ROCKS...!

Any estimate on the total weight of that entire rig...?

#116642 - 06/06/07 02:02 PM Re: How many use multiple keyboards on the gig?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Oh to be young again! I feel guilty enough just limiting myself to ONE keyboard for gigs, but at least I don't mind HOW much it weighs, as long as it ROCKS...!

Any estimate on the total weight of that entire rig...?

A quick guesstimate is around 1585 lbs. But it really sounded great...and looked cool .

I had a 196? Dodge stretch van. The kind where the engine was sort of between the two front seats and the engine cover was like a huge pod growing up from the floor. It wasn't coming out from under the dashboard like todays full size vans but was actually back from the dashboard so you could step from the drivers seat to the passenger seat if you so desired. I filled that completely and had to let the Hammond and one Mellotron ride in the band van. Ah, memories...

Dave

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 06-06-2007).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online