SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116613 - 08/27/07 05:48 PM Just for fun Pt. 3
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi all,

I just did my instrumental interpretation of the Stevie Wonder song "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" on a Tyros 2(HD). This was played live to 2 track stereo(in the Ty2).

I used style Rock Cha Cha. I did not use the harmony button feature. It was recorded as a .wav file in the Ty2. I then converted it to an mp3(192 kbs)using itunes.

No other outside effects, instrumentation or editing was used. This one took me two takes. The first time I went to record I selected the 'wrong" ending for how I wanted to end the tune.

Hope you enjoy!

Chris http://ncane.com/j89

------------------
http://www.myspace.com/mychrisvalenti

#116614 - 08/27/07 06:08 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Hi Chris,
Haven't heard this one before. Enjoyed it none the less. Only critique I can make is I think the lead melody voices are a bit loud. Both the EP and the organ though the organ seemed just a tad more subdued.
thank you for sharing. I did enjoy it.
Jim

#116615 - 08/27/07 07:18 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Jim, I can't agree with you ..I thought the piano level was fine..

Chris , I thought you had great balance on this recording..

#116616 - 08/27/07 07:52 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Chris. What a refreshing change to get back to hearing music performed instead of the typical useless endless banter of my keyboard is better than yours arguments that get 'nowhere'.

Very nice playing, and choice of style & lead voice (with cool stereo phase effect). Sounds terrific on 61 keys. The way you recorded your song showcases a terrific feature on both Tyros2, and now the S900 as well: namely, the ability for us to so easily & conveniently record 'on the fly', capturing the kind of 'live arranger playing' spontaneity no other method offers, and which is what I suspect may be the reason I see so many more recordings shared by Tyros2 owners now on YPKO and & YouTube , compared to before this feature was introduced. Chris. Thanks for sharing . . Bravo !

Not to take away from Chris' song at all, but earlier today I saw (on YouTube) a video of another Tyros2 performed Stevie Wonder classic: "Isn't She Lovely" & thought people might like to check it out too: HERE

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-27-2007).]

#116617 - 08/27/07 08:12 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Dnj Offline

Chris Excellent!!!!

Scott although a bit goofy.....nice demo well played also....that dude needs a sturdy stand also

#116618 - 08/27/07 08:22 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
'Fraid I have to agree with Jim on the mix issue... Nice playing, Chris, but I could have done with the leads a hair back in the mix, too.

With the Yamaha drum sound already a little polished and smooth, it's easy to overwhelm with some live dynamics, IMO. One thing you can try (if the T2 does this) is to buss all the lead sounds into a compressor effect, and try to tame some of the peaks when you dig in a little. There is always the temptation, when playing live, to want to hear yourself nice and clear at all times, but unfortunately, in the context of a mix, what we are playing isn't always THAT important.

One of the tricks I try to do to check balances on a mix is to turn the mix down to almost inaudibility. If the lead sound is the last thing to disappear, chances are you've mixed it a hair hot. You listen to any well recorded and mastered stuff (Steely Dan is always a good place to start!) and gradually turn the volume down, you will hear pretty much ALL the elements disappear at the same rate, even during solos. It's not that the solos are that loud, really, it is just that room for them in the mix has been made, but not at the expense of swamping the drums and bass...

Just recording ourselves all the time can easily show if we are getting a tendency to sit 'hot' in the mix. It's quite a balancing act to feel comfortable playing, especially rhythm parts (where you ARE supposed to be well within the mix, not on top at all!), and even solos. MOST of the time, until we've made a bunch of board tapes and got to hear ourself AFTER the fact and adjusted our registrations to compensate, we tend to play solos quite a bit louder than we would actually mix it for a CD.

But anyway, all that aside, that was a good rendition of one of my favorite artist's greatest songs... Let's hear some more.

#116619 - 08/27/07 08:59 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Sound, as they say, is subjective, and this issue could have something to do with how it was listened. I do not eq anything on my laptop. Everything is flat and played back as it was recorded. And I always use headphones. Fran, mind telling me how you listened to this?

Chris, it is a nicely played piece!

Jim

#116620 - 08/27/07 09:36 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Chris,
another excellent rendition by you; this is not one of my favorite S.W. tunes, but even so you made it very interesting to me.
Very well done!

#116621 - 08/28/07 12:19 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just for reference, I play everything I have at home through the same Mackie HR824 studio monitors. They make the best arranger sound system I have ever used!

They are fed by a 24 bit MOTU 2408mkII audio card.

#116622 - 08/28/07 12:33 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Excellent tune, Chris...mix sounded fine to me.

Cool song.

Ian

#116623 - 08/28/07 01:10 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Chris :

Good stuff!!! Thanks for sharing

#116624 - 08/28/07 04:19 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Chris Valenti Offline

Loc: Florida
Thanks all for taking the time to listen and for the feedback. I think someone had a question recently about how to select styles for particular songs. The style Rock Cha Cha is supposed to emulate the song "Smooth" by Santana/Rob Thomas. But when I tried it that Stevie song popped in my head.

So maybe this can be a good example for someone working with styles in an arranger keyboard when trying to find quality song matches.

Take care,

Chris

------------------
http://www.myspace.com/mychrisvalenti

#116625 - 08/28/07 04:31 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Chris ... Listening now ... Sounds great ... excellent job !!!
t.

#116626 - 08/28/07 05:48 PM Re: Just for fun Pt. 3
Dnj Offline

Any style can be used for any song

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online