SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#116469 - 07/26/05 05:26 AM OT - Emails that don't get through?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Wondering if anyone is concerned about this.

Due to spam, email has changed over the past few years. Now, filters get many emails blocked. Sometimes, I will send an email to someone and I never hear back and I always wonder why they never answered me. Maybe they just didn't want to answer, haha but, also, maybe they never even saw the email.

Just wondering if anyone had a solution. These problems are generally with people who are NOT close friends but either 'acquaintances' or maybe even strangers you need to contact. It's not like I talk to them regularly. But the email I sent might have had an important message.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#116470 - 07/26/05 07:10 AM Re: OT - Emails that don't get through?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
A number of email servers allow you to list the emails you want to let through. When set to high security it will still let emails from your list to get through.

#116471 - 07/26/05 08:16 AM Re: OT - Emails that don't get through?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
A number of email servers allow you to list the emails you want to let through. When set to high security it will still let emails from your list to get through.

Yes but this doesn't help with what I am talking about. These people have no reason to have you on their 'approved list' because they rarely communicate with you or else they don't know you from Adam, as they are strangers. Yet, you need to contact them. I don't know a solution.

Hmmm... I just thought of something... AOL used to allow you see if somone had opened an email. I don't use AOL. Also, I think it had to be an AOL user. Something sticks in my mind about this with non-AOL email addresses. Maybe there used to be something where you could send an email and tell if it arrived in their inbox. They also used to have 'return receipt requested.' I don't know what's out there except for Yahoo email, that's all I use. Although, I could use something else if there were a solution.

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#116472 - 07/26/05 08:53 AM Re: OT - Emails that don't get through?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm experiencing the SAME frustrating problem as Me Bill (SemiLiveMusic). I've got SBC Yahoo DSL as my internet service provider, of which among its email features include automatic spam guard filtering which re-directs suspected SPAM to a SPAM folder. An additional feature allows me to COMPLETELY block specified addresses, or re-direct specific addresses/email domains to specified folders (email in-box, etc). I use this to re-direct emails that were mistakenly mis-routed by SPAMGUARD to the SPAM folder. Unfortunately, my mail server (SBC Yahoo DSL email) only allows me to store a maxiumum of 50 email addresses to be kept out of the auto SPAM folder. That is far too limited as I have far more email addresses than that that get mistakenly moved to the SPAM folder by my email servver's auto SPAM detection program. I wish to find a better solution. Perhaps 3rd party SPAM protection/email software is in order. Any recommendations? Thanks. - Scott

#116473 - 07/26/05 12:09 PM Re: OT - Emails that don't get through?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
The best solution IMHO is Mail Washer PRO. When you open this program it gives you a list of every email on your server, and the ones that are approved to download into your mail program are all in green color. You just click on process and all your green email is loaded into your mail program (MS Outlook is mine) and the rest are all deleted. Then can also be blacklisted, bounced back to the sender, added to your friends list, and/or reported to the spam cop who mails complaints to them and their ISP, etc.
You can look at every email on your server and if you see a familiar name or topic you can let it be downloaded to your email program. I think I paid about $30.00 USD for it and I love it. I had the free version for a long time and the only reason I switched to the Pro version was because the free version limits you to one computer and I have several.
I think that if you just put mail washer into google it will be found for you and can all be done on line.
I should also note that you can look/read the email or just part of it to decide if you want to download it from the server, or just bounce or delete it It is a win win deal
Best to all
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 07-26-2005).]

#116474 - 07/26/05 02:20 PM Re: OT - Emails that don't get through?
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Sometimes, I will send an email to someone and I never hear back and I always wonder why they never answered me. Maybe they just didn't want to answer, haha but, also, maybe they never even saw the email.

Just wondering if anyone had a solution.

For some possible approaches to the problem, do a Google Web search on "email receipt".

--Barry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online