SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#116407 - 12/23/04 05:47 AM Digital recorder as a mixer?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
This might be the dumbest question you've ever seen but I never said I know anything about this stuff.

The Behringer UB1002 mixer I have does not have reverb and the vocals are certainly a bit dry, although acceptable. I also have a Fostex MR8 digital recorder, which does have a reverb effect, among many (mic emulation, etc). Any way I could chain the Fostex in and have reverb for live performance?

Even better, could the MR8 be used a 2-channel mixer for live performance, forget the Behringer. Seems to me it would work.

The Fostex has Stereo Out and also Headphones out, both 1/4". Which one? Headphones out not a good choice and if so, why? I would be going into the Logitech z2200 system, so I'm working with RCA jacks there.

#116408 - 12/23/04 06:19 AM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I haven't worked with the Fostex, but if you can plug a mic directly into it and adjust the reverb .... it sounds like it will be great for you. Use the stereo outs (NOT the HPs) and just plug into the Mixer from there. You can get any gender/size cable adapter you need to connect between systems.

#116409 - 12/23/04 02:37 PM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"The Behringer UB1002 mixer I have does not have reverb and the vocals are certainly a bit dry, although acceptable. I also have a Fostex MR8 digital recorder, which does have a reverb effect, among many (mic emulation, etc). Any way I could chain the Fostex in and have reverb for live performance? "

The Benringer has in and outs for effects, just add whatever reverb unit you like...heck even a stomp box would be fine.

"Even better, could the MR8 be used a 2-channel mixer for live performance, forget the Behringer. Seems to me it would work."

It could be, buts its preamps are worse then the lowest of low line Behringers EQ options are limited ( i.e NONE )...and its outputs are about as good as its inputs. Past that, its reverb isnt all that grand in the first place.

"The Fostex has Stereo Out and also Headphones out, both 1/4". Which one? Headphones out not a good choice and if so, why? I would be going into the Logitech z2200 system, so I'm working with RCA jacks there."

Would be best to run the left/right through 1/4 from the mr8 with rca ends to the logitech.

#116410 - 12/23/04 03:18 PM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Semi-live, Aloneandforsaken. Are you guys content with the MR8? Did you get bigger cards to get more recording time?

I'm getting ready to buy something that I can record my sax playing along with some sequences.

I see pro and cons about all these digital recorders. I hate trying to record with the computer while trying to hold my sax. I think a stand alone recorder would be easier for me.

Do you guys recommend the MR8? Or should I go for a Zoom MRS4b, Mrs8 or a Zoom PS-04 or what?

I'd like to hear what you have to say. If you'd like please email me.

#116411 - 12/23/04 04:08 PM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
Alone&Forsaken Offline

"Semi-live, Aloneandforsaken. Are you guys content with the MR8? Did you get bigger cards to get more recording time? "

Why get bigger cards...when for the same price ( lower even ) then a card and the mr8, you can get an all around better recorder...that's not dependent of exporting files to your PC just for basic EQing ":P

"I see pro and cons about all these digital recorders. I hate trying to record with the computer while trying to hold my sax. I think a stand alone recorder would be easier for me."

Perhaps you should check out Tascams site, brand new digital 8 track you might like. Might want to check out Yamaha as well.

The new Tascam is right at $500 with a 40gig hard drive, two phantom powered xlr inputs, two 1/4 inputs, EQs ( that don't require menu surfing )...blah blah blah.

"Do you guys recommend the MR8? Or should I go for a Zoom MRS4b, Mrs8 or a Zoom PS-04 or what? "

I make it a rule to stay away from anything fostex.

#116412 - 12/23/04 05:16 PM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
You're asking the wrong person to ask me. But I bought a Tascam Pocketstudio and took it back and got the Fostex and am far happier. I paid $280 I think. Now they have ones for $350 that have drum machines in them. I really am not a good person to ask. One thing I'll say, I _hate_ the way the screen is on the MR8. It is not tilted and you can't read it without lifting the damn thing up to get an angle on it. Horrible engineering there.

The machine works fine. Except I can only record one song or one song and maybe one track on another. I gave up. Now, I record one, then upload (USB) to the computer. I have been shopping for bigger compact flash than the 128mb that came with it. 512mb would do it.

#116413 - 12/25/04 01:52 AM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
You're asking the wrong person to ask me. But I bought a Tascam Pocketstudio and took it back and got the Fostex and am far happier. I paid $280 I think. Now they have ones for $350 that have drum machines in them. .

tascam pocketstudio is a joke.
but their new 40 gig recorders with 2 band eq in all channels-399$(without efx),499$(with efx)looks like better deal.since they have USB (and 40 gig)file transfer and CD writing shouldn't be a problem.

MR8 however does not have channel EQ and you can't use 2 efx(efx are just single delay and 3 reverbs) simutanously on 2 inputs.amp simulation are weak but great for the price a year ago.
new zoom(350$) has built in drum machine,gtr,bass,vocal efx etc but 350$ is not that attractive since you can get better gear for 200$ or more.

#116414 - 12/25/04 10:42 AM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
brickboo Offline

I need a faster laptop but I may get the new Tascam DP-01. It looks like with a hard drive and USB support it's going to be hard to beat for $399.

They claim it's as easy as a cassette recorder to operate with all the buttons. Of course I don't have any idea how easy a tape cassette 4 track recorder is to use. I downloaded a manual for this DP-01. I’m half way through it and so far it doesn’t have me completely confused. It looks well written to me. Maybe Gary wrote it?

I mean I'm green man. Unless you need me to lay brick, play sax or get into some $10 or $20 nine ball. After a few games, I'll know who's going to get the cheese.

Am I right in figuring that I don't need the EFX feature on the Tascam, considering I'm just wanting to record my sequences from my Korg, which is already preset, and my sax that I may just add a touch of reverb to on slow ballads with a mixer while recording?

The new Zoom MRS4b looks good to me also. All I really need is 4 tracks. It's really inexpensive. (OK Cheap).

If I get the Zoom for $200, I also may be able to afford a not so much faster laptop than I have now. I can’t find the Zoom manual any where. I won’t buy anything again with out checking out the manual first to see if the equipment will do what I need it to do and how hard it is to figure it out using the manual.

Thanks again for the input!

#116415 - 12/25/04 10:41 PM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
don't get zoom-cause you'll end up paying more for the card the the results will be the same.and Tascam's 2 band eq HARDWARE control knobs on EACH channel will become handy in mix .

399$ tascam model may not have phantom power(also no efx) like 499$ model-I 'm not sure -you gotta check it.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 12-27-2004).]

#116416 - 12/26/04 02:14 PM Re: Digital recorder as a mixer?
brickboo Offline

why does one need phantom power? What is it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online