SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#115866 - 12/22/04 08:39 PM Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Rebel Offline

I ordered my first Keyboard, Yamaha PSR-3000...

It should arrive here later today...

It cost me £995.00, That included the stand and delivery cost.

The keyboard will be for home use only, I just wondering if I made the right choice buying such a expensive item for my first keyboard...

I do know how to read music, I learned it at school, But have not played in years, Since I was 15, I am now 29...

Don't know why, But I just feel like getting back into playing the keyboard, I really Injoyed it at school...

Ive tried friends keyboards, Casios, I don't like casio at all.. After trying my other friends PSR-295, I really like the sound from it, I was going to buy one myself, But it only had 375kb flash memory, That put me off..

I wanted a keyboard that I would find no faults with it, It needed to have good storage and sound.

I noticed some people on this forum saying the PSR-3000 keys are crappy and somthing about buttons missing, I hope I did not blow £995.00 for nothing.

I want a pro keyboard, So I hope the keyboard is worth the price tag.

Any advice for me would be welcome, I look forward to learning the in's and out's of the keyboard, Should take me a few weeks I hope...

Regards

Thomas

#115867 - 12/22/04 09:03 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
The PSR 3000 is one of the finest keyboards today....is a GREAT choice.
I think the coment you heard, was about the buttons for direct access to the vocalist/harmonizer.....when you compare it to the Tyros......la keyboard also very fine...but 2 times more the money....I am sure that also the previous models PSR 2000 and 2100 did have them also...you got a real good deal.
Congratulations !!!, and Merry Xmas.

------------------
mdorantes

#115868 - 12/22/04 09:51 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Rebel:
I wanted a keyboard that I would find no faults with it, It needed to have good storage and sound.I noticed some people on this forum saying the PSR-3000 keys are crappy. I want a pro keyboard.

Thomas. Though I myself own a Tyros, the PSR3000 is definitely the BEST 'bang for the buck' arranger keyboard currently out there. It's sounds, styles, and external storage type (card) state of the art, but the key feel, though tolerably acceptable (imho), is far from professional level or durably constructed. On the other hand, it's WELL worth the price and the satisfication of producing excellent quality music. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and discover that you'll get a LOT LOT more than £995.00 pleasure from it.

Thomas, a BIG welcome to the SZ forum.

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#115869 - 12/22/04 10:13 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
If it's your first arranger keyboard then I would say your starting off pretty good, but if you want a pro arranger, then the 3000 is not in the same league as others out there, considering the price you can't go wrong. Bang for the buck it's a nice piece, though a pro arranger it's not.

#115870 - 12/22/04 11:42 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
sorry Scott,
best bang for the buck still the KORG PA-50, with a wide margin I'd say, at least here in Europe !!!!!
best wishes,
john

#115871 - 12/23/04 01:45 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
welcome thomas,you have made a good choice,you will have so much enjoyment with this board,and it will take you a good few weeks to take it all in,(there is a lot more in it than you think)i would suggest you go to joe,s site at www.psrtutorial.com (its been fixed now) there you will find a wealth of info as to how to get the most out of your board,there is also loads and loads of free stuff there you can download,like you there are alot of us that were in the same position when buying the psr3000,very few were dissapointed,mike

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 12-23-2004).]

#115872 - 12/23/04 03:21 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
but if you want a pro arranger, then the 3000 is not in the same league as others out there, though a pro arranger it's not.

Hmmmmmm....I'd love to know why you think its not a "pro" arranger KB......when many us "pros" use the 3k to make a living?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-23-2004).]

#115873 - 12/23/04 04:02 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
YES Thomas. You made a good choice.

Enjoy a happy Chrismas with it.

#115874 - 12/23/04 05:28 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Welcome to the forum Thomas. You're going to love that 3000.

As for it being a so called PRO keyboard, I wonder if I buy one of those other keyboards that cost 4 or 5 times as much money, would I be able to earn 4 to 5 times as much income? Hmmmmmm!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#115875 - 12/23/04 06:23 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Not touchin' THIS one !

#115876 - 12/23/04 10:49 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Again! Everyone has their own opinion on what may be a pro arranger. I don't use arrangers, so I can't say much when it comes to ease of use and features, but I can say that the keys and look of the 3000 says "toy" to me. The sounds aren't that geat either, "I ony heard it thru it's own speakers" The Korg arrangers have pro sounds in my opinion very close to the Triton "A pro keyboard". In regards to the statement that was made about if the 3000 is not a pro arranger, why do us pros use it. Well let me just say that a friend of mine plays out with a casio and always busy making good money, so my response to that is: everyone has their own opinion to which arrangers/keyboards are pro, and audiences also have an opinion to who is a PRO, really depends who you are playing for and how much you want to invest. Same with a car. A yugo will take you to the same place a Rolls Royce will and it's cheaper on gas. Personally as a Pro I want a pro quality keyboard to match my pofessional capabilites as a performer.

[This message has been edited by SYNTH_GUY (edited 12-23-2004).]

#115877 - 12/23/04 12:32 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I guess we are all looking for something different...I had my Triton Studio 76 for a week before selling it...It didn't work for me..It was more dance oriented...and I didn't like the piano...heck my PSR2100 lasted 3 months, before I let it have a new home...I would not want either one again..

For now the G1000 still works best for me...Maybe the G70 will be my next keeper...

Bang for the buck, I guess it is hard to beat the PSR3000....but it is not for everyone[and me]..

#115878 - 12/23/04 01:09 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Dnj Offline

The "PRO" isnt in the KB ...
it's in the Musician

PS I didnt care for the triton or motif also....howver in that KB catagory I enjoyed playing the FANTOM.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-23-2004).]

#115879 - 12/23/04 01:22 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dnj is right! There's a bass player here who uses an old Kay...cracks all over the place, plywood construction...patches and strings about one inch off the neck. He can blow me off the bandstand, Zeta or imported Austrian bass not withstanding.

There's also an old guy playing an M-3 that has to be hit two or three times to get it working. A terrible instrument! In his hands, he also can blow me off the bandstand. (Hey, see a pattern here?).

The "pro" certainly is the player, not the instrument.

That being said, I bought a PSR 3000 and decided I didn't want to use it for my professional work...gave it to my grandaughter.

It's all about what you like and what works for you.

Russ

#115880 - 12/23/04 01:53 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Great! We all agree that it's the musician that makes it happen, but if your a pro, wouldn't you have the pride of wanting an instrument that fits a pro, with great sounds and feel. An arranger is not a bass guitar, in reference to the last qoute; it's a whole back up band. Saving money on an instrument if you're out making money is lack of professionalism and pride in your music. If it's for home use then even a Casio will keep you entertained.

#115881 - 12/23/04 02:27 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Synth guy, on one level I agree with you. I got a RSR 3000 and decided, after I had time to work with it that it felt and sounded "toy like".

You prefer Korg...I prefer Ketron. But there are members on this forum who probably play better than either one of us who get the job done with a PSR 3000. There's no question, these folks are Pro's (UD, Gary and many others).

We all know marginal...even terrible players who use equipment to compensate for their lack of ability. Are they pro's? Maby pro entertainers, but not pro musicians.

My point is, looking like a "pro", with "pro" equipment does not a pro make!

Equipment is an important part of the formula, but not everything. I'm an equipment nut...probably, that's overkill.

What I do works for me, and I wish everyone on this forum success, however and with whatever you decide to do it.

Ho, Ho, Ho!

Russ

#115882 - 12/23/04 02:52 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
nardoni2002 Offline

rebel,don,t forget to adjust the eq settings on the psr3000 again you will find this at www.psrtutorial.com, it will make more of a difference,mike

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 12-23-2004).]

#115883 - 12/23/04 03:48 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
SYNTH_GUY Offline

I agree Capt Russ, equipment won't make you a better musician but if you're good and have good equipment then you really stand out above the rest.

Common person is use to seeing Casios everywhere, so they associate arrangers with toys right of way. I bet every yamaha arranger owner here has had someone at some point during a gig say " My son has one like this at home" or, "These are great, I was thinking of buying one to play around with", it's our fault that arrangers look like toys, because you keep buying these temporary models, the manufacture knows this so keeps putting out arrangers with cheap components, instead of something that is well made with great features and sounds that you can keep for awhile, upgradable and programable. Is it cheaper to keep spending 1200-1500 every year or spending 3500-4000 and getting an arranger that is top notch, one that you can keep for years to come. You tell me?

#115884 - 12/23/04 04:25 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Is it cheaper to keep spending 1200-1500 every year or spending 3500-4000 and getting an arranger that is top notch, one that you can keep for years to come. You tell me?

Synthguy, you make some good points, but here's another perspective. Because synth-arranger technology is continously IMPROVING at a lighting pace, it may make more sense to spend $1200-$1500 and get a keyboard which may perhaps not be as durable or the top of line most expensive model, yet INCLUDES the latest new sounds, styles, & features, and then be able to 'actually afford' UPGRADING (in 2-4 years) to the NEXT new arranger kb technology just around the bend. Perhaps when arranger keyboard technology reaches a 'longer lasting' plateau would be the better time to invest in something which will provide long term (over 5-10 years) satsifaction.

Scott

#115885 - 12/23/04 11:00 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Scott, do you think it will get better than the Korg Pa 1x, Tyros, roland G70, what else can they do? Although I am not someone that uses arrangers, I like to read up on them lately and i think they have reached their max, ease of use may change but sound and options are at their peak.

#115886 - 12/24/04 06:33 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Dnj Offline

Sorry people I dont buy all that arranger vs synth phobia speaker non speaker crap.....never did. Audiences know a quality entertainer....
bottom line is "lets hear what you got?" I always say ...........no matter what you use....my ears are my judge and always have been......and I have performed on stage with almost everything out there for my needs.....

by the way Synth Guy I'd love to hear some of your work...do you have some songs we can listen to?

#115887 - 12/24/04 07:06 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Scott, do you think it will get better than the Korg Pa 1x, Tyros, roland G70, what else can they do?

Yes, it can get better. Korg, Yamaha, Roland already know what they will do next. They propably have some idea what they will do after their next release. They always hold back. Roland, IMO, holds back so much that they are not competitive (IMO of course) in the arranger market.
Tapas asked why Yamaha introduced the SD Card, when it will soon be discontinued. Donny answered, "Tapas..because now the next model will have it and you'll have to sell your old unit and buy a new one .....and then that one will be void of something we want.......
its a vicous endless cycle "
They know what their doing. They give themselves plenty of room for "innovation?".
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 12-24-2004).]

#115888 - 12/24/04 07:41 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Scott, do you think it will get better than the Korg Pa 1x, Tyros, roland G70, what else can they do? . . . i think they have reached their max, ease of use may change but sound and options are at their peak.

SynthGuy. The boundaries of possibility are only limited by the spirit of man's imagination. As much as I like & appreciate the features of my Yamaha Tyros, I still see areas that it (as well as other current top of the line arrangers) can and will eventually be improved upon. This includes continuing sound quality advancement which will be achieved when overcoming storage capacity limitations. The next step is attaining the new SACD (super audio compact disc) quality 'sampling rates' which will more accurately & realistically reproduce acoustic instruments, especially the acoustic piano. In the area of auto accomp styles, implementing new SMART technology which will more intelligently vary accomp style pattern playback & more realistically reflect the kind of expressive real performance subtlies played by live rhythym section musicians.

Arranger specific keyboards have only recently garnered serious interest from pro musicians because arranger keyboard manufacterers are finally listening to their needs, of which not only include more realistic sounding instruments & styles, but the arranger's ability to now allow one to play the keyboard in the way they've been accustomed to playing both solo & with a live band, utilizing genre specific types of pro chords & licks

The arranger keyboard is the marriage of computer technology with the traditional keyboard, and as long computer technology advances & improves, so will arrangers and synthesizers. My acoustic Steinway Grand piano is my ONCE in a LIFETIME investment, afterall, the acoustic piano had over 100 years to evolve & perfect. I EXPECT to eventually upgrade my Tyros (which I've owned for 2 years now) whenever a substantial arranger keyboard improvement comes along to warrant it, and it WILL, trust me. -Scott

#115889 - 12/24/04 08:12 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Rebel Offline

hey, Thanks for the replys...

I only had a few hours to mess around on my new PSR-3000, So far I like it, Sounds Great, The keys don't really annoy me as the keyboard is for home use only, Ive read the whole manual twice, There is alot of good features in this keyboard, Look forward to messing around with them.

I got a usb floppy diskdrive with the keyboard which I was not expecting, So I was happy about that, But I plan on getting a USB Flash Drive...

I noticed the keyboard only has 5 songs inside, No wonder it has 1.5MB internal flash memory free... With memory so cheap these days, Why they only include 1.5MB internal Flash memory, I mean how tight can they get. The yamaha PSR-275 has 100 songs inside, I am sure that takes more than 1.5mb space.

300kb for recording,

I guess I better use my computer for the recording...

Anyone know any good websites that has free format 0 midi songs... All the ones I have are format 1...

Regards

Thomas

#115890 - 12/24/04 08:21 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
by the way Synth Guy I'd love to hear some of your work...do you have some songs we can listen to?[/B]

Dnj, this isnt a topic based on our expertise we're talking about arranger technology and what decisions to make when making a large investment. I can gladly post some of my work but how would you know it's really me? I'm an acomplished musician, I also have a United State Championship Trophy in my living room, that does not matter, because we all are into different types of music and some of us may play better jazz, country, pop, etc. I play several instruments, guitar, bass, drums, accordian, concertina, harmonica, keyboards, trombone etc. I also have CD's for sale at your local music store, not need to disclose my identity. I enjoy taking part in this forum and have picked up good advice frommany of it's members, so posting my music isn't going to prove anything in regards to how qualified I am to post my opinions

[This message has been edited by SYNTH_GUY (edited 12-24-2004).]

#115891 - 12/24/04 08:55 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Dnj Offline

synthguy......you have given your opinions I have given mine on this topic & some of your statements....thats what open forums are for.......remaining annonymous is your perogative also... no big deal there.

#115892 - 12/24/04 09:06 AM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rebel:
hey, Thanks for the replys...

I only had a few hours to mess around on my new PSR-3000, So far I like it, Sounds Great, The keys don't really annoy me as the keyboard is for home use only, Ive read the whole manual twice, There is alot of good features in this keyboard, Look forward to messing around with them.

I got a usb floppy diskdrive with the keyboard which I was not expecting, So I was happy about that, But I plan on getting a USB Flash Drive...

I noticed the keyboard only has 5 songs inside, No wonder it has 1.5MB internal flash memory free... With memory so cheap these days, Why they only include 1.5MB internal Flash memory, I mean how tight can they get. The yamaha PSR-275 has 100 songs inside, I am sure that takes more than 1.5mb space.

300kb for recording,

I guess I better use my computer for the recording...

Anyone know any good websites that has free format 0 midi songs... All the ones I have are format 1...

Regards

Thomas

Rebel,
Free midi files are abundant. You can get a program called GNMidi which easily converts the various formats (0, 1, kar, mid, midi, etc) from one to another. The trial version is free and it is quite inexpensive after that. You'll find this program invaluable. Just search for GNMidi. It is made and maintained by Gunter Nagler.
Enjoy your keyboard.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 12-24-2004).]

#115893 - 12/25/04 01:57 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
Rebel Offline

rebel,don,t forget to adjust the eq settings on the psr3000 again you will find this at www.psrtutorial.com, it will make more of a difference,mike

----------------------------------
Can't find anything about eq settings on www.psrtutorial.com

#115894 - 12/26/04 01:37 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
nardoni2002 Offline

hi rebel,go to site ,click on lessons.scroll down to section 2100/2000 (3000 is the same setup) adjusting styles ,click on, using graphic equaliser,and there it is, this is a great idea that gary (travlin easy) made us aware of , also phil hall came up with a clever idea of connecting a set of pc, speakers through the headphone socket of the 3000 ,look it up,and read the responses, click on forum ,scroll down 2000/2100, click on accessories scroll down to 11 july 2004,mike

[This message has been edited by nardoni2002 (edited 12-26-2004).]

#115895 - 12/26/04 04:36 PM Re: Did i make the right choice (PSR 3000)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Here's the link to the site that will take you directly to the information: Eq Settings

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online