SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#115170 - 01/28/03 07:32 PM MIDI plus sheet music - where?
Studio Offline

Hi,

with my new PF1000 I also received a very nice book of classical sheet music and a disk with the corresponding MIDI files.

I am wondering if anybody knows where to get similar sets (also instructional) with MIDI and sheet music?

Thanks!

#115171 - 01/29/03 09:20 AM Re: MIDI plus sheet music - where?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Studio,
Take a look at this link: http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/midi+score/
There are many MIDI programs, like Power Tracks Pro, that will print the complete music score or sheets for individual instruments from a MIDI file.
Starkeeper

#115172 - 01/29/03 09:30 AM Re: MIDI plus sheet music - where?
Starkeeper Offline

If you have a computer you can also use this v-player for FREE: http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/vp/index.php
Starkeeper

#115173 - 01/29/03 11:26 AM Re: MIDI plus sheet music - where?
Starkeeper Offline

Here's another one. Music book plus MIDI files on disk. http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/portablekeyboard/education.php
Starkeeper

#115174 - 01/29/03 12:14 PM Re: MIDI plus sheet music - where?
Studio Offline

Hi Starkeeper,

thanks for your response! The Yamaha site was exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, they have a rather narrow selection. Maybe I should look for more of this "Scorch" stuff.

I do actually have a lot of software that will print and display MIDI music, HOWEVER, most files are not designed to be read the way they are played. When I take some Chick Corea pieces for example (translated from PianoSoft format into MIDI), you can hardly tell what's what, even by tweeking all the settings.

So I am looking for dedicated sheet music that comes with the corresponding MIDI files, exactly as on Yamahamusic.com.

I am also surprised by the fact that I can hardly find any instructional material that uses MIDI other than very basic programs.

I do appreciate your input!

Thanks a lot,
Studio

#115175 - 01/29/03 12:36 PM Re: MIDI plus sheet music - where?
Starkeeper Offline

Studio,
You said,"I do actually have a lot of software that will print and display MIDI music, HOWEVER, most files are not designed to be read the way they are played. When I take some Chick Corea pieces for example (translated from PianoSoft format into MIDI), you can hardly tell what's what, even by tweeking all the settings."
1. Just curios, what MIDI software do you have that plays MIDI files?
2. Still not sure what you mean by "can hardly tell what's what". MIDI files have different chanels. Just print the sheet music for the chanel you want to play. VAN BOSCO's music player will play the notes on a virtual keyboard, just mute the instruments you don't want to play. (does not display a music sheet though).
3. I agree that educational midi music is very limited, a waste of a very powerfull educational tool. You could loop a section of music to learn, slow the tempo down, learn right hand then left, ear training, show notes on a virtual keyboard and sheet music. If you find such a tool, let me know, I would like to learn how to play accompaniment, but have seen few books, or software on this. I suspect that the Yamaha MIDI's will teach melody lines, not accompaniment. Sigh.
Starkeeper

#115176 - 01/29/03 03:41 PM Re: MIDI plus sheet music - where?
Studio Offline

1. Just curios, what MIDI software do you have that plays MIDI files?

->Well, I have been playing with most major sequencers incl. Cubase, Logic and Cakewalk, but I also have Sibelius, which is strictly a notation program. Band-in-a-box is also quite an interesting software.

2. Still not sure what you mean by "can hardly tell what's what"...

->Once you get MIDI files that have been recorded live, they will definitely not be on the beat as much as you would need for notation. What I’m looking for is sheet music that I can learn from. However, I also want to be able to listen to it. This is why I bought Musitek’s Smartscore which lets you scan sheet music you have, and then translate it into MIDI files. Unfortunately it costs an awful lot of time to get even one piece recognized without errors. Sometimes you get lucky and it actually recognizes a page correctly, but you can never be sure and you got to check every single note.

3. I agree that educational midi music is very limited…

->Yes it is. And it is particularly surprising that even Yamaha doesn’t seem to provide any serious program, although they produce so many home keyboards (AND are conducting the Yamaha Music School all over the world). My new PF1000 has a notation screen for example, and with the disk I got you can really learn to play certain pieces much easier. However, this doesn’t help you to really learn chords, harmonies or improvisation and comping. If there is ever going to be a nice MIDI-based keyboard education program, it surely would take off.

Cheers,
Studio

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online