SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#115000 - 09/11/07 04:57 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Actually..it is a shame Roland didn't try some of the features before they released the G70..I don't think it would have been difficult to incorporate the VK effect settings..They had the settings on the VR760..and that was a multi use keyboard also..

#115001 - 09/11/07 05:03 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
Dnj Offline

Now this is the kind of stuff we should be talking about. Everyone benefits from it...
Between Fran & Diki they could put out great G70 info that would be so beneficial to G70 owners who are having difficulties getting started or cant seem to find in the manual etc etc ...

Fran great post.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-11-2007).]

#115002 - 09/11/07 05:13 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
Fran Carango Offline

Great idea!!!!

#115003 - 09/11/07 05:19 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
Fran Carango Offline

There are a lot of Roland savvy folks at Roland-arranger site too, and they are very helpful...But we could also unite here to help others with technical stuff..same with you Yamaha , Korg, Gem, and Ketron folks..

Maybe we would have a little more harmony and get to understand the other brands we are not familiar with...just a thought...

#115004 - 09/11/07 05:22 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
casiobot Offline

I think keyboards have gotten away from the basic premise,which is, an instrument to make music with,NOT spending half your time wrangling with a so-called "intuitive" GUI.

I've got an idea for the keyboard of the not so distant future,but I can't say anything about it now.Hopefully if Yamaha is looking around here,they would be willing to take me on and let me submit a proposal for it.I honestly believe that there IS a market for what I have in mind and if my idea ever got to the market stage,Yamaha would be back-ordered from here to doomsday.

Because for all of the vaunted technology out there right now,a lot of keyboards are either half done or way overbaked.My idea would fit into the "medium rare" category quite nicely.

#115005 - 09/11/07 05:26 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
Dnj Offline

Exactly....even though Im guilty as anyone else of being involved with some of the wackiness.....more questions & answers here on the SZ GA forum will help many people & they wont have to drift off to other proprietary KB discussion sites.
Sharpen your Noggin and let the learning begin...ask away.

#115006 - 09/11/07 05:57 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Now this is the kind of stuff we should be talking about. Everyone benefits from it...
Between Fran & Diki they could put out great G70 info that would be so beneficial to G70 owners who are having difficulties getting started or cant seem to find in the manual etc etc ...

Fran great post.

Well, in fairness, that's EXACTLY what Roland-arranger already is... It's in English, although it has an international readership (got to love their school systems over there!), but contains the gathered wisdom and experience of three years of G70 owners (and now E-series, too). It is linked to the archive of the original G70 Owner's Club site, so looking up old back posts is easily searchable (something I encourage ANYONE with a Roland question to do before posting a question).

You got Roland questions? They already got the answer (most of the time!)... Why try to reinvent the wheel? You got the time, post at roland-arranger, and you'll usually get a prompt answer that is usually correct
----------------------------------------------------------

BTW, Fran... Are you SURE you aren't making that workaround up? You say you come out of the Main outs with the HB section, route it back into the IFX inputs (Audio In). Correct? But that has no separate outputs... It gets mixed back into the Main Outputs, which then goes off to the Rolls, back into the Audio Inputs, and voila! You have a feedback loop.

Trust me on this one... there is NO WAY to get the HB section separate from the Arranger without giving up ALL the effects on a Style (you can route every style, Keyboard and Song part to the Direct Outs, but you lose ALL effects doing so).

And if you are recording the HB section solo, without the arranger, you STILL can't edit the Vib/Cho. You CAN route some of the Tone organ patches this way, but firstly, there are very few without some chorus sampled in, and as any Hammond player knows, sampled vib/cho is NOTHING like a scanner vib/cho, which affect all sounding voices the same, NOT being different for each note (as sampled effects are).

But the worst thing about these is that they are velocity sensitive, a killer of Hammond authenticity...

Sorry, cassp, but despite Fran's advice, there is nothing that can do what YOU want to do in the G70.

But editing the Vib/Cho is the LEAST of your worries... As I already said, the reverb send is Pre-Leslie (no workaround for that in a mix), and the distortion is post-fader, so it is next to impossible to get it to 'growl' within a mix. There's a SLIGHT workaround for that by cranking the distortion, and turning the Balance know all the way to Accomp, but it virtually mutes all your other keyboard Parts, and acts funny if you move the HB Volume fader. But if you want that full Deep Purple snarl, within a mix (as in, when the arranger is working) it is difficult to achieve.

The G70's Hammond section is ANYTHING but perfect (and I have always said so)... But the problems are hardware related, so we will just have to see if Roland do a complete redesign for the next G-series, or just develop the hardware they already have. But even so, it is STILL a lot better than most arranger's B3's. Just not quite as good as a dedicated Hammond clone like the XK-1/3, yet.

#115007 - 09/11/07 06:16 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
Fran Carango Offline

Diki , I tried it with the reverse design..I scratched the separate outs for the VK and used the mains..{read my previous post again].. It will loop , but with just the vibrato parameter..no big deal..If you are concerned with the drums and bass...route them out the direct outs..

As I said it isn't practical , but it works..And no..I didn't make it up..

So much for working in harmony..

#115008 - 09/11/07 06:21 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Very good posts everyone. I am glad my ranting has gotten some of you to finally address the real playing issues. As long as I know what I can't do, i can figure out what I can do.

I was offline tonight because of band practice - yes we do practice, occasionally. We actually spun out 5 songs for an upcoming gig; pretty good for us old farts. And three of them use arranger settings - wow!

BTW, does anyone have a SMF for Clapton's 'She's Waiting'? can't find it.

#115009 - 09/11/07 07:30 PM Re: Anyone want to buy my G70?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
But Fran, all you are doing with this is ADDING a small amount of VK chorus (and Leslie, if that is ON on the IFX) to the dry sound... You are NOT sending it through the scanner chorus 100%, (like it has to to be Hammond chorus).

I'm not trying to sow disharmony (dissonance?) here, simply to address cassp's question, which what you post does NOT... And, if not set up VERY carefully, to avoid getting a runaway feedback loop, potentially damaging (at least to whatever speakers are attached, if not to the internal circuitry of the G70)...

Cassp, I would NOT recommend you try Fran's suggestions without being a LOT more knowledgeable about what you are doing. This sets up a potential feedback loop if you are not VERY careful with the gain...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online