Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#114934 - 04/23/06 07:56 AM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Can you post some BIAB songs for us too hear?

Dnj, I'll need to convert wav to mp3, then I'll let you hear how a backing like this sounds. With the Onstage Performer I only use wav files as I find them superior in quality.
All the best,
Roy-Andrč

#114935 - 04/23/06 08:27 AM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I use to rely on printed music[charts]..
While working with a young lady...we would do maybe 300 songs.

One night , we were playing a job about an hour and a half away..I set up , and didn't have our music book..Oh well..we started out with songs I knew would be okay, and guess what, we could do all the material..

Charts act as crutches..if you are forced to work without them, you will be surprised to find you know the songs already..

I can still play songs I learned from fake books 40 years ago, while playing with my first 5 piece band..Standards just stay with you.. You may miss a chord change once in a while, but so what..

I haven't depended on charts now for more than 15 years..

Even new tunes , I can work out without the sheets.

I use to be a pretty good reader...I would imagine this skill may have diminished a little....but who knows, when I'll need to find out..

Lose the charts..you may be pleasantly surprised that you don't need them as much as you thought......They have become a security blanket more than a tool..

#114936 - 04/23/06 12:36 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
That is very true, Fran. If I get a request for a song I don't often do, I may do it in C, or G, but it usually follows normal progressions.

I was told by a great musician years ago, that you have to learn to trust your ear. When you do, you can throw away your crutch. Of course, it helps to have at least a little theory, or know the circle of fifths.at least.

#114937 - 04/23/06 03:16 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Charts act as crutches..if you are forced to work without them, you will be surprised to find you know the songs already..
Even new tunes , I can work out without the sheets.
Lose the charts..you may be pleasantly surprised that you don't need them as much as you thought......They have become a security blanket more than a tool..

Get those blindfolds on when you practice ....dump the charts and look at the audience with a big smile, in the end you'll be a much better player all around

#114938 - 04/23/06 03:30 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I use to rely on printed music[charts]..

I've took out the blind fold a couple of nights ago and sounded more like someone tripping on his own fingers. Gotta believe with practice that'll change.

Fran, I'd love to lose the charts. Played a gig this last Thrusday and tried more eye contact with the audience instead of staring at the charts. Good point you make I didn't need them as much as I thought, but still not ready to show up at a gig without them.

#114939 - 04/23/06 04:05 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
be interesting to know if a really high quality instrument ( ie receptor with collosus would make a BIAB song sound a great deal better.
I had a listen to the demo's using the vsc3 softsynth, they sounded ok, then I used my my ketron as soundsource, sounded even better.
I am going back to a softsynth setup as soon as I replace my laptop. Colossus & Receptor is out of the equation for me ( slight overkill for a non talented hobbyist) but I am thinking of expanding beyond my original soundfont setup. Possibly Hypersonic 2 or Bandstand, plus maybe Garritons.
What I suppose I'm really asking is, does a really high quality soundsource make that big a difference if using software like BIAB for the backing , keeping in mind the only additional tracks I'd be likely to add to a song, would be the melody.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Hi Rikki

I

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#114940 - 04/23/06 04:28 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Rikki
The key word is sound source. Garritan and Hypersonic 2 are sound sources superior to the vst's in BIAB. I think both are great for your purposes. Afterall, some of the other performers on the forum use them.

#114941 - 04/23/06 04:29 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Thanks Bernie.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Hi Rikki
The key word is sound source. Garritan and Hypersonic 2 are sound sources superior to the vst's in BIAB. I think both are great for your purposes. Afterall, some of the other performers on the forum use them.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#114942 - 04/23/06 07:17 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Lucky2Bhere Offline

xxx

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 04-24-2006).]

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online