SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114904 - 04/16/06 10:24 AM Using Audio Files In Performance
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I know that some of you use mp3's,etc in performances. Aside from break music, which is a good enough reason, how else do you use it ?

I would like to use them occasionly as vocal backup files, but I don't see a way of adjusting the pitch, or erasing the vocal track. I know there are semi-successful programs out there that have limited success on some files, depending on how it is recorded.

I can record on a SD card, and play on my KN7000 if it can be used for some good purpose.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Bernie

#114905 - 04/16/06 11:52 AM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Dnj Offline

#114906 - 04/16/06 02:55 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
if you want to use audio files as backing for vocals, why not create your own.
You've got your KN7 to give you the backing style.
Basically record the backing song on the KN7, save as a midifile.
Load into a p.c. sequencer. Replace some of the kn voices with voices from your receptor. (Record some additional tracks of your own, if required.)
Then record the whole performance as an audio file.
Recording audio is something I'm not familiar with. I never ventured past the audio recording software that came with the kn7. There's far better programs available.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#114907 - 04/16/06 03:17 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Bernie9 Online   content

The Karaoke site is a good one. I suppose one could record a DVD into a WAVE file, then compress to MP3, and onto an SD card, except you couldn't change the pitch without additional software. At least I don't think so.

Rikki
Yes, that would work, with some effort. At least you can manipulate Midi, and the Receptor certainly has the quality with the Colossus samples.

#114908 - 04/16/06 04:58 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:

except you couldn't change the pitch without additional software. At least I don't think so.

http://www.chronotron.com/

#114909 - 04/16/06 06:07 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I think the Keytron Midijay can do everything from lead vocal suppression to pitch/transpose and time stretching on WAV files. Don't know how effective it is a vocal suppression (never heard a vocal eliminator/suppressor I liked) but with Karoake files it should be pretty good at the pitch shift/stretch thing. With all of it's other functions including MIDI file playback and arranger functions the Midjay is practically a soloact swiss army knife.

[This message has been edited by Esh (edited 04-16-2006).]

#114910 - 04/16/06 06:11 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:

except you couldn't change the pitch without additional software. At least I don't think so.

Bernie ... if you can play the file on your kn7000, can't you use the 'transpose' function to change the pitch (key) ?
t.

#114911 - 04/16/06 06:14 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Esh:
the Midjay is practically a soloact swiss army knife.

Shhhhhh.....And so much more...

#114912 - 04/16/06 11:15 PM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
On a Kn7000 there is no problem changing the key. As far as recording a song on to the SD card – it can be done, but it takes a bit of work. I have a friend that creates or reworks midi files he downloads and then records them on to a mini disk recorder. He uses an EQ and a BBE to enhance the sound.
Record anything you play – no computer involved, play and record. Some do their recordings on to a CD, better sound quality.

I have recorded some Line dances on my SD card – but I have found it much easier to put the songs on a CD and play them using my laptop. I do not like using my KN7 to play midi files, it’s not friendly.

You could uses the doo’s and aha’s on the keyboard for vocal backgrounds. There are units that will change the pitch of a recording. There are some that will extract the vocal track. I found they extract the vocal track but not the reverb track so you can still hear the vocal. (slightly)

Bottom In my opinion, use the SD card for audio only if you plan to use it for a few songs. Use the laptop for midi files. It transposes, and can change the tempos and volume and save them. The Sonar/Cakewalk type of programs can transpose midi and audio files. Reworking midi files on a Kn7 is much to involve, it is far too much work.
Not so on the Yamaha keyboards.

Hope this helps, John C.

#114913 - 04/17/06 04:14 AM Re: Using Audio Files In Performance
Bernie9 Online   content

Thanks to everyone for your response. I have something to go on.

Bernie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online