SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#114666 - 01/27/04 04:13 PM Amateur or Pro.....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
How do you define the differnce? Is it:

1. Talent only?
2. Annual Income from performing?
3. Equipment?
4. Number of nights worked a year?
5. Percentage of annual income from
music?
6. Attitude?

Where's the line....?

Russ

#114667 - 01/27/04 05:10 PM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Well, without consulting a dictionary or encyclopedia, I always thought it was derived from someones PRO-fession. Which means you make a living (Pro) or a partial living (semi-pro) from it.

Anyone else?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#114668 - 01/27/04 05:11 PM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Professional = play/work for pay, nothing else, whether it's music, sports, or whatever. If it's not the primary livelihood, then "semi-pro".

#114669 - 01/27/04 07:12 PM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I agree:
PROfession. There are many, many fine players that certainly could be pro, but aren't and there are many,many pros that have NO business in SHOW Business like NO business I know !

#114670 - 01/27/04 07:59 PM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If it's worth doing, it's worth gettin' paid fer!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#114671 - 01/27/04 08:37 PM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
MagicUser Offline

Loc: New York, USA
My act is professional. I happen to be doing it part-time right now but it is still a professional act!

- Brian

#114672 - 01/27/04 09:41 PM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
Beakybird Offline

Coming from a pro, I think that if half of your income or more comes from music, you deserve to call yourself a pro.

On the other hand, I'm sure that there are some musicians who just work weekends, but make more per weekend than some of us professionals make per week. They work regular jobs during the week.

If you only gig on weekends but you're pulling in $50,000 a year from music, I would call that professional too.

It's kind of ambiguous.

Beakybird

#114673 - 01/28/04 09:31 AM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The title 'Pro' may mean that one is 'making their living' as a performing musician but that doesn't neccesarily mean they're an exceptional musician. There're plenty of music acts out there today who display terrific onstage showmanship, but who lack in anything beyond rudimentary musicianship skills. On the other hand, there are even more highly skilled musicians (especially jazz/classical) who have absolutely no showmanship skills. To succeed in the music performance biz you need 'both'.

It's really sad to see the appreciation for musicianship and creative music artistry taking a backseat to glitz, glamour, and hype.

We must never stop working to further improve our keyboard & vocal chops, expand our musical artistry (creativity), as well as continue to hone our onstage showmanship skills. This (to me) is the 'complete' required package for success.

Scott

#114674 - 01/28/04 11:50 AM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
trtjazz Offline

According to the dictionary:

pro·fes·sion·al
(click to hear the word) (pr-fsh-nl)
adj.

Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.
n.
A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
A skilled practitioner; an expert.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
pro·fession·al·ly adv.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

© 1996-2002 yourDictionary.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

IMO, being a professional or successful has nothing to do with money, at anything.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#114675 - 01/28/04 11:52 AM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
GREAT INPUT!. Scott, you really nailed it. Unfortunately, I'm one who simply cannot, after YEARS of working, mainly in supperclubs, develop any degree of showmanship. I just play, and that is a limitation, in terms of types of jobs and in income.

Entertainers have a gift. Unfortunately, for many, "fluff, smoke and mirrors" is more important than musicianship. Uncle Dave and others have the whole package.

The observation of the existance of jazz and clasical musicians with no ability to entertain is a reality for many of my acquaintences.

Thanks again for the comments.

Russ

#114676 - 01/28/04 11:54 AM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
Dnj Offline

I always say.....it's....

25% Playing

25% Singing

50% Entertaining

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#114677 - 01/28/04 11:56 AM Re: Amateur or Pro.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"IMO, being a professional or successful has nothing to do with money, at anything."

Then you need to reread the definitions you posted. "source of livelihood" "career" "receiving pay" "earns a living" "hired"
There are absolutely two definitions. One means making money. The other has to do with the skill level. Both are valid in my opinion.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online