SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#114553 - 05/16/06 12:52 PM I've been thinking
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yeah, I know another post..I don't expect a lot of comments to it , but maybe some helpful ideas..

After the enlightened "newer is not always better" results, I have come to the conclusion...maybe nothing is better out there then I already have[honestly].
Sounds , I am content....Keyboard feel and operation, more than content[G1000]...Harmonizer, I don't think I can find a better one[DisCover5]..

I think I am going to give up on the built in MP3 player on a keyboard that I will enjoy playing..

What does this all mean? Like a lot of us, I like new toys, but I am going to try refraining buying any new hardware keyboards..

I think my interest[toy wise] will be a custom built laptop that will meet the demands of the music world..Yes it will still be a PC, and a Pentium, but I am looking to go with the fastest CPU, the most ram, and the fastest hard drive..USB 2 and firewire a must..I would like this built in a small package with a 12" screen..

I am interested in mapping out my own sound fonts using the best wavs I can find.

Actually if I can pull it off, I would like to have AJ burn a new Eprom of these sound fonts for a special bank , that will reside in my G1000.

The laptop handles MP3 and wav playback and recording better than any hardware based unit I know...so this is the way to continue for me..
Right now my ideal set up would result in carrying two keyboards..G1000 and DisCover5..plus the laptop.
All fit nicely on my Apex stand..

Any comments pro or nay are welcomed..

#114554 - 05/16/06 02:47 PM Re: I've been thinking
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Fran, after reading your posts on this topic, I can only come to the conclusion that you are frustrated about something missing in your keyboards and that there is NO single manufacturer solution. All of us are compromising somehow with our keyboards but we have come to terms with what is important to us and settled for the keyboard that comes the closest.

What is supremely important to you?

Buy some equipment that will fill in the gaps to what is missing. I don't think we can find nirvana.

Good Luck
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#114555 - 05/16/06 03:03 PM Re: I've been thinking
Fran Carango Offline

Al, I am happy with what I already own..My new toy search was for a Keyboard that was a great SMF playback as well as a great arranger, that also incorporated an MP3 playback...It had to have a great key feel also..This way I might have not needed to bring a laptop..
The contenders, Korg PA1X , Genesys, and maybe Ketron..all fall short to me..
I am not frustrated with what I have[my stuff works great]...maybe just wishing I could have it all in one[even at 50lbs]..

#114556 - 05/16/06 06:14 PM Re: I've been thinking
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My goal was to bring ONE piece of gear to the gig, and the G1000 did it for me for 6 or 7 years. Live use with a band, SMF playback, LH bass with the arranger drums, and a LITTLE use of the arranger (I'm not a big fan of automatic bass lines), the G1000 did it all (and I have Kurzweil 2500S w/KDFX, HATE to take that monster out live - it's great if you can set it up in advance, but impromptu patch changes and setups..... fuggetaboudit!)...........

BUT................ it's Hammonds SUCKED! It's drums were getting a little long in the tooth compared to BFD or DFH, and it's piano, while being the benchmark for me for quite a while, couldn't compare to the FantomX.

FINALLY, Roland released the G70, which addressed ALL of the shortcomings I had with the G1000. Plus it had the same incredible 76 note action. I had to have it..........

As I do so little using the full arranger, the loss of the Chord Sequencer (while being a bloody PITA) wasn't a deal breaker for me, and my use of the FC-7 (which I bought for the G1000 and never needed to use) has pretty much simplified my pedal setup, and brought me MORE control than I used to have with the G1000.

A FEW changes in switch locations caused me a bit of bother at the start but I've mostly adjusted or found workarounds (you GOT to have an FC-7!), and the moving of the Part Switches to close to your RH fixes the one thing I hated the G1000 for.

But here's the rub............ You CAN make the G70 virtually indistinguishable from the G1000 (if that's what you're after), BUT............ it takes quite a bit of work changing the effects and especially the drumkits. God only knows why Roland screwed with their Standard sets, but if you work at it, you can get back to 95% of the way. On the other hand, once you have heard how 'live' and dynamic the V-Drum kits are, well, I changed every single one of my styles and sequences to them! They just take an enormous effort adjusting velocity levels to make the old 'it don't matter what velocity it is, it still sounds the same' Styles and SMFs hit the velocity crossover points musically, but once you do (and once you start painting in some of the snare ruffs and stick drops etc. in the V-Kits) you'll never look back...........

Give it a second try (or third, or whatever) but this time, spend most of your time editing a well known Style or SMF using the Makeup Tools instead of just browsing the sounds (and turn off the Mastering Effects!). While not easy, once you get a workflow going it's possible to get the hang of it quickly, and soon you'll find it is possible to change the built in 'sound' for one that is far more to your liking.

#114557 - 05/16/06 07:45 PM Re: I've been thinking
Fran Carango Offline

I was still waiting for my first try with the G70.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online