SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#114325 - 08/14/03 03:47 AM Re: Review of Peter Solley styles
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Larry, I agree with you, and may add that what you wrote is especially true for the Tyros; I have recently tried a few styles from styles-music.de; they were labeled as "Tyros styles", but this is only partly true: they were styles originally done for the 9000 and then adapted to the Tyros. None of them used the megavoices and -overall- they were nothing special.
I think that the only way to develop good styles for a keyboard like the Tyros is to use the "morph" function and pick up tracks from the original Yamaha styles, to build up your owns (I think that Terry is doing something along these lines).
Re. styles-music.de, I think that in the past they used to hire professional musicians who were able to lay down some really cool tracks (personally I have learned a lot from their midifiles, both in terms of harmony and improvisation). Right now, it looks like they cannot afford to hire such good musicians anymore and their latest styles and midifiles are rather disappointing (I know that Roy André will disagree with me here... )

#114326 - 08/14/03 02:13 PM Re: Review of Peter Solley styles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I used to do a bit of style converting
( personal use only) back in the early 90's between my keyboards . One thing I did notice, the style never sounded as good as it did on the original instrument, even after tweaking.
Also the keyboards back then didn't have some of the features available now for creating your own styles.
Morphing ( I think Terry called it) I found is a great way to go, if your keyboard has the function. It can mix parts from different styles internal & user, to create new ones.
I tried a bit of an experiment on my kn7 with a wersi style that a friend sent me.
I put it through the style conversion program , and it sounded nigh on unuseable. If I hadn't been a case of really wanting this particular style, I would have just thrown it in the bin. Instead I decided to see if I could fix it.
The bass, piano & guitar parts, ended up sounding quite good with just a change of instruments and volume adjustments, but the drum parts were woeful. They didn't convert too well.
I ended up using the "morphing feature" ( pattern copy page 2 in my kn7) to give me new drum patterns. I auditioned some of the kn7 styles, found one with similar drum patterns to the wersi style I was editing, and replaced the drum parts using the "morphing feature".
Now it's sounding quite useable. I could probably add additional parts like strings, using this feature also.

The kn7 also has a midi to style feature. I've found that even though it's not that simple to create an actual style from a midi file song ( because of all the chord changes) I've used it for creating styles from BIAB and from my other keyboards by recording the style parts as a midi file.

There's all sorts of things you can do to create your own styles, just depends on the features of your keyboard or the software available for doing it.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#114327 - 08/15/03 05:23 AM Re: Review of Peter Solley styles
Jos Maas Offline

Loc: Hantum, The Netherlands
The trouble with converted styles is that the instruments don't sound exactly the same on each synth. The ones that were converted by amateurs also often contain errors. There is some info on how to repair and improve Yamaha styles at http://www.1manband.nl/repair.htm

If you have midi files that sound great on your synth you can easily make styles from them that sound just as great. At http://www.1manband.nl/course.htm there is a crash course for this.

At http://groups.yahoo.com/group/onemanbandgroup/ in the file section in the folder "XG styles from midi files" there are a few styles I made that way.

Jos

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online