SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#114089 - 10/19/04 05:00 PM Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just tested the Z-5300 today, it really kicked butt, and sells for about $200 at Best Buy. It's rated at 280 watts RMS, which is 80 watts high than the Z-2200s.

I'm thinkint the Z-5500 at 500 watts RMS for $100 more is a better deal and would really provide a lot more oomph to those mid and low range sounds as well. Anyone out there tried this system yet?

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 10-19-2004).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#114090 - 10/19/04 06:03 PM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
The biggest deficiency with these sub/satallite systems is a void in the mids... so anything that would help in that area would be an improvement, and I wouldn't have to include my SxA100 with the Z2200, which BTW, sounds dynamite together.

#114091 - 10/19/04 08:01 PM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Stay away from these home systems for stage work. They are not made to travel well, and although they pump out some good solid bottom, they don't project well.
The wires are flimsy, and they just aren;t made for the peaks that are possible with live music.

In the right hands, anything can be made to sound OK, but I still advise against using home gear on stage. Nursing homes, maybe ....... but then again - the key word there is HOME, isn;t it?

#114092 - 10/19/04 09:47 PM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Dave,
Have you heard the Logitechs? I get nothing but good comments about the sound when I use them. Of course they are for small jobs.
I don't have any problem at all with the mids either.
DonM

#114093 - 10/19/04 10:57 PM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sure I heard 'em. I hear EVERYthing.
They sound good for what they are, but I used to get similar results from just using a bass amp with the KB speakers. Most of the sound in these small rooms comes from the KB, and the woofer adds that punch that's missing.

I'm not saying that these don't work ...... just be careful how much you push them, and how you CARRY them, that's all. They're wonderful for home audio in small to medium rooms.

#114094 - 10/20/04 07:41 AM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I agree with Dave. I've seen and tried these things, and, at best, they appear to me to be flimsy home quality components and not very versatile without a quality mixer and and external effects device. Cables are not meant for heavy use and mounting the small speakers is a pain. Transporting components
would be a hassle if you do lots of jobs a week in different locations. It doesn't make sense to me to use a $200.00 system to power a $3,000.00 keyboard, $2500.00 guitar, etc.

I'm happy for those of you who are comfortable with this approach....it's just not for me.

Best Regards to all,

Russ

#114095 - 10/20/04 07:50 AM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
Dnj Offline

Sorry Boyz...I Gotta disagree ...
The Z2200 sounds more then fine in a
SMALL Situation. I've used them a few times.

#114096 - 10/20/04 08:34 AM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I agree with UD and Cappy, but when I first said this, I got my a** kicked all over the zone. OK, the keyboards are meant to be heard in stereo, I got that. But the Logitechs and others are NOT made for this situation. Of course, there are those who are pioneers and innovators and those who just want to save money. I guess the Logitechs just don't do it FOR ME.

#114097 - 10/20/04 09:07 AM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
First and foremost, these systems are anything but flimsy. You can park a truck on top of the sub and speakers--they're built like a Sherman tank. The wires are also high quality--not the old skinny speaker wires that come with home entertainment systems.

As for sound quality, personally, I really don't care if the system costs $300 or $3000 if it gets the job done to the satisfaction of both myself and my audiences. So far, the largest room I've used the Z-2200s in measured about 2,500 square feet and it performed flawlessly. Everyone in the room said they loved the new system and how crisp, clear and wonderful the music filled the entire room.

Guys and gals, we've entered a new era in the world of OMB entertainment. Granted, there was a time when bigger and more expensive translated to better quality. This is no longer the case. Competition, space-age materials and a host of new technological advancements have rapidly transformed this industry to one that is in a constant state of change. If you will recall, it was just a few months ago when folks were downing the Bose PAS system, claiming it would never be able to used for larger venues. Obviously, most of those making those comments were not basing their statements on personal experience. That's why I constantly travel to hear other OMB performers play and sing, and do my level best to objectively evaluate the system they're using.

The same holds true with keyboards. Of all the wonderful, very talented individuals who frequent this form, how many are using custom made keyboards, systems that cost $10,000 or more? In fact, most of us use boards that cost under $2,500 and the average price of the boards we're currently using cost just $1,500 or less. Had the PSR-3000 been available 20 years ago, it would have cost $10,000 or more, and no one would have quibbled about the price. Back then, the rule of thumb was "If it cost more, then it will sound better." The PSR-5700 retailed for $3,200, had 35 styles, a similar number of voices, and a floppy disk drive that was slow at best. Now 15 years later, and for half the price, you can have PSR-3000 that has more features than most folks will ever use--think about it. Even Uncle Dave uses a $1,500 keyboard with his $2,500 sound system. I suspect that within the next five years, another manufacturer will come out with a similar system that will sell for under $500, provide the same or better quality, be lighter, more compact and very rugged.

The bottom line is don't down a system until you've actually used it on the job and can provide an objective, unbiased evaluation based upon performance. Three years ago, I was still lugging around five 3-inch thick loosleaf binders with lyrics and keyboard settings--they're now in a closet. I was also lugging huge speakers, powered mixers, lighting systems, two keyboards, and damned near needed a fork lift to unload the van. Technology has changed all this. Today, it's one trip with the Rock-N-Roller, five minutes set-up time and the dance floor fills.

Damned, I just wrote another book!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#114098 - 10/20/04 09:09 AM Re: Anyone tried the Logitech Z-5500?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The Logitechs are certainly much better than the speakers Yamaha sells that are designed for the Tyros. I have both.
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online