SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#114063 - 01/10/05 05:16 PM Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
don't know if these are brand new or whether I haven't noticed them before, but wondering if anyone has tried an Audigy2 for Notebook computers, and if so , what do you think of them
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Audigy2zs_notebook/

best wishes
Rikki
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Audigy2zs_notebook/

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#114064 - 01/11/05 02:14 AM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Rikki,

That's the card I'm using. I'm not the best person to make a comparison with other cards, 'cause I didn't do an extensive search. One thing is sure: this difference in quality to the original on-board sound card in my laptop (Realtek AC'97) is considerable. Still didn't do any recordings (I intent to) but they should be great (24-bit/96kHz input). Very important for our applications: compatible with Asio2 drivers, assuring a very low latency. It was really easy to make it work with a couple of free soft synths. I'm not using it with games nor I'm using surround effects - my sound system is a good quality 2.1 only - so I'm not using part of its potential. If you have any specific question I'll be glad to try to answer you.

-- José.

#114065 - 01/11/05 09:12 AM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Rikki, I use a Digigram VXpocket v2..it is also a pcmcia soundcard..It works great..the sampling rate is 48 max and 24 bits converter..I use it with my old CTX laptop[98se], and my newest high powered Compaq lt.

I think UD still has one he may part with[he never used it].. http://www.digigram.com/products/getinfo.htm?prod_key=9000

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-11-2005).]

#114066 - 01/11/05 01:40 PM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Jose,
I didn't realize you were using a laptop version( in your other post) I just assumed you had the Audigy in a desktop.

Obviously it's also working okay with your soundfonts.

I checked their website and it appears that it should work ok with the Dell model laptop I use.

Thank you Jose
best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:
Rikki,

That's the card I'm using. I'm not the best person to make a comparison with other cards, 'cause I didn't do an extensive search. One thing is sure: this difference in quality to the original on-board sound card in my laptop (Realtek AC'97) is considerable. Still didn't do any recordings (I intent to) but they should be great (24-bit/96kHz input). Very important for our applications: compatible with Asio2 drivers, assuring a very low latency. It was really easy to make it work with a couple of free soft synths. I'm not using it with games nor I'm using surround effects - my sound system is a good quality 2.1 only - so I'm not using part of its potential. If you have any specific question I'll be glad to try to answer you.

-- José.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#114067 - 01/11/05 02:46 PM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Fran,
I'll check it out also. I'd thought the only soundcard suitable for my laptop was external ie via usb, hadn't realized my laptop even had a slot to connect a card into.

Thanks for the link, I tracked the company's reseller to Sydney ( where we used to live), Best part is they also have all sorts of software. If I decide to get one, I should be able to get one through the music store where I once worked. Nothing beats a big discount ( haa haa).

I was mainly after one that could handle soundfonts directly, the audigy's apparently can. Guess I've also got to weigh up what will give me reasonably good quality sound. Anything should hopefully be better than the internal card I'm using at the moment.

Thanks Fran

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran Carango:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#114068 - 01/12/05 01:38 AM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
Route 66 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Fran,
I'll check it out also. I'd thought the only soundcard suitable for my laptop was external ie via usb, hadn't realized my laptop even had a slot to connect a card into.

I would say the PCMCIA is a better interface than USB (specially version 1 USB) for a sound card.

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
I was mainly after one that could handle soundfonts directly, the audigy's apparently can.

Audigy is a Creative product and the soundfont format is originary from Creative. So you won't find any compatibility problems. Audigy recognizes the Soundfont 2.1 format as well.

-- José.

#114069 - 12/11/05 05:22 AM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Are there audio and midi connections to this audigy 2 ZS for notebook to use it for midi with a keyboard and to record audio?
Thanks

#114070 - 12/11/05 06:15 AM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
Route 66 Offline

There are only audio connections (no midi). -- José.

#114071 - 12/11/05 06:41 AM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

You can always use USB for your midi connections.

#114072 - 12/11/05 07:53 AM Re: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 for Notebook Has Anyone Used one??
Route 66 Offline

Right, Frank. I'm using a Roland UM-1 Midi-USB interface. Here's a description/review (in italian!... you can always check the scores it gets): http://www.ilmac.net/recensioni/rolandUM1.htm -- José.

[This message has been edited by Route 66 (edited 12-11-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online