SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113836 - 12/01/04 06:54 PM Prickling and numbness in fingers.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I've had this off and on for a while now. I guess it could be one of several different things.

Anybody else have this? Any suggestions short of surgery? Of course, it is mostly my right hand.

Even driving down the road with my hand on the steering wheel will do it.

Hope somebody has some good ideas on how to make this stop.

Best
Scott

#113837 - 12/01/04 07:17 PM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Scott:
I've had this problem for years, It stops when I give the hands a rest for a day or too. Asked my doctor, he was sizing me up for a bypass or something, but could find nothing wrong. I think the over use of the hands causes the muscles to tense up and cut off the circulation, causing numbness and tingling sensation. I play guitar and really give em a workout on the keys too.
When I play guitar the left hand goes, keyboards right hand. Its hell getting old.
You should visit your doctor just to be on the safe size, could be your getting a warning signal?........Pose

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

#113838 - 12/01/04 07:52 PM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Could be a number of things causing this. More often than not, it's decreased circulation caused by arterial sclerosis, which can easily be checked with some non-invasive tests. The other cause is usually nerve compression, which is more difficult to detect, but still a non-invasive procedure done with electrical stimulation. Carpal tunnel disease would be the first thing that comes to mind with musicians that primarily use their hands to play.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#113839 - 12/01/04 09:29 PM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Carpal tunnel disease would be the first thing that comes to mind with musicians

I had it, and Chiropractic treatments made it all better ! 3 times a week for about 18 months - no surgury, and insurance covered the bill. It was pretty relaxing too ..... they treated the neck and shoulders, and gave a general adjustment each time. Felt really good.

#113840 - 12/01/04 09:34 PM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Interesting topic. I can relate because over the past 6 months I've been having similiar problems. Mine doesn't start in the fingers though. Mine starts right at the bottom right of my palm at the crease between my wrist and my hand. It then creeps up and bothers my pinky, and the finger next to it. I'm certain mine is associated with music. Playing the keys, guitar, and drums over years really puts a pounding on the wrists and fingers. It really upsets me because I'm quite young compared to others here on the forum. To give a hint on my age. I'm not even over 30!! Didn't say I was over it, and not saying I'm under it either

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 12-01-2004).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#113841 - 12/02/04 04:42 AM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I had this.

It was diagnosed as tendonitis. Almost similar to Carpel Tunnel, but with the outer wrist joint pinching the tendon running down my pinkie.

Cause: Poor playing technique with right hand.

Remedy: REST FOR TWO-THREE WEEKS. Then change your playing technique so that (my) hand is ALWAYS perpendicular with the keyboard. This is not as easy as it sounds since I've had this poor habit of torquing my hand to the right in order to finger chords. My teacher drilled me to no end to get me to use correct fingering with my hands using my 3rd, 4th, and 5th fingers more.

I have not had any pain since I corrected this behavior!!!!!

Now this may not be your exact diagnosis Scott, but in my case I did have pain, numbness, and tingling in my fingers.

Please consult a doctor and even a Piano teach to evaluate your technique.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#113842 - 12/02/04 05:30 AM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Also make sure your posture is correct no matter if you are playing your keyboard or driving your car. Don't lean forward, which can put added pressure on your wrists - I have to be very careful about this when going on long bike treks or my hands will go totally numb. And, place your hands below your heart when possible, something that's easy to forget when driving with your hands at the normal "10 and 2 o'clock" position. I don't know how you have your keyboard(s) placed but instead of having my two keyboards on a single two-tier stand I prefer to have them on two seperate stands ata right angle to each other to help with proper posture and hand/wrist placement.

Just some tips - always see a doctor as others here have suggested.

#113843 - 12/02/04 05:42 AM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
Dnj Offline

My friends....gettin old ain't for whimps

#113844 - 12/02/04 06:05 AM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yeah ... how would YOU know, Donny?
You're just a young pup !( like ME ! )

#113845 - 12/02/04 07:07 AM Re: Prickling and numbness in fingers.
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
It could be what Gary suggested as well ("The other cause is usually nerve compression,").
I had a numbness and tingling in my left forearm, thumb and pointer finger. Diagnosed as nerve compression, I think it was the 3rd vertebrae. Saw a chriopractor - didn't work. Had to visit a physiotherapist for about 6 months. She put my neck in a sling with weights and cold compresses. Didn't work very well until she laid me down on a bed and pulled my head with her hands (yes. my head did not come off, make a wish ). I believed it happened when I was sleeping on my stomach. Hasn't reoccured since. Phew!
You need to get this diagnosed. Good luck.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 12-02-2004).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online