SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#113784 - 04/06/06 06:16 AM Yamaha QY100 with Yamaha EL70 organ
westy Offline

Loc: Manchester, UK
I an thinking of getting a Yamaha QY100 to use with my Yamaha EL70 organ to both improve the realism of the sounds and the no of sounds. I intend to connect this via the midi then feed the output of the QY100 back into the organ input. Is this possible and would it be a good upgrade or are there better solutions to improving the instrument sounds on the EL70

#113785 - 04/06/06 12:30 PM Re: Yamaha QY100 with Yamaha EL70 organ
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I did not find the QY100 an easy instrument to use live. It does not recognize chords as you think it would, so using the EL70 as a controller won't give you the control you expect. You will still have to control the QY independently. The QY100 is sort of like Band-In-A-Box in a box. What I mean is, it works on pre-programmed chords set to a rhythm. As far as using the QY as a sound source, that might work, but again there is the issue of ease of use - not user friendly, especially in a live situation. I would suggest a Yamaha MU50 or a Roland or Edirol Sound Canvas. If you really want to up the ante, get a Motif rack or a Roland, Korg, etc. rack unit, but then I think it would be more trouble to control.

When I owned the QY100, I liked it for what I could pre-program, but that was it. I am not familiar with the EL70, but I doubt it has the midi control needed to do what you want easily. My suggestion is to get a copy of the QY100 manual and seriously read through it OR borrow an actual QY100 and try it out. For as great a unit as the QY100 is, it seems to miss the mark for me and others I have talked with.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 04-06-2006).]

#113786 - 04/06/06 12:57 PM Re: Yamaha QY100 with Yamaha EL70 organ
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi, as a former Electone EL90 player for many years, I would recomend another type of module that is an arranger, the choices are: Ketron XD3, Midjay, and if you can find a used Roland RA95-800, Korg I40 or something like this.
I hope it helps you. I did use my EL 90 with the Rolands RAs and the Ketron X1 and SD1, and I know that the modules by Ketron will do just fine.

#113787 - 04/06/06 08:39 PM Re: Yamaha QY100 with Yamaha EL70 organ
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I sell the QY100 and the Ketron modules. Yes, the QY100 works with pre-programmed chord templates, but it also works in a three fingered chord played mode when you switch the mode to "fingered" mode and you curser off the preset chord templates and select "user". Now, you can play three fingered chords and just choose a style and a variation within the style you wish to play. Although, the XD3 and the Midjay are easier to use, the QY100 will give your hundreds of additional sounds and arranger styles too.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#113788 - 04/07/06 12:47 AM Re: Yamaha QY100 with Yamaha EL70 organ
westy Offline

Loc: Manchester, UK
Thanks for the replies, I am just interested in using a module for more realistic and varied instrument sounds and not auto accompaniment, I don't know if this make any difference to your advice.

#113789 - 04/07/06 02:06 PM Re: Yamaha QY100 with Yamaha EL70 organ
Vquestor Offline

You're much better off with a Roland SK-88 pro
which will give you much superior sounds.
I happen to have a new one for sale if you
are interested.

#113790 - 04/07/06 05:39 PM Re: Yamaha QY100 with Yamaha EL70 organ
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Westy,
you'd be better off with some sort of a dedicated sound module. With the QY100, you'd be paying for features that you don't really need, if all you're wanting it for is sounds.
I'm assuming you only want it for main melody, not for any styles your organ may have?
Bear in mind , you'd need a module where you can easily pick the sound you want to play. You don't want to wade thru too many button pushes or menu's.

I had the earlier models the QY10, QY20, but I bought them for their portability, sequencer/style functions , not for the quality of sound. Any of my sound modules of the day, would have had better sound quality.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by westy:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online