SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#113744 - 02/24/03 09:23 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by matias:
Scott,I've sent you the music sheets for Chico's #7,8,30 . These are very well known and beautiful bossas.

José: Many thanks for sending the lead sheets. Actually I'm rather embarrassed to admit now that I actually do already know & play Chico's songs #7 & #8 but had only recognized them by their English titles: No More Blues & Brazil. I spent time this morning playing Luiza and really love Jobim's chord changes. Jobim has a way of making simple yet beautiful melodies shine thru the use of wonderfully exotic chord changes. And yes, Autumn Leaves is one of the first jazz standards I learned way back when I began exploring/playing jazz standards back in school.

Quote:
Originally posted by matias:
I'll send the international part of my list later today (it's full of portuguese songs that you are not interested in and never will hear about!).

Looking forward to seeing your top song favorites list (including the portuguese songs) of course.

Scott

#113745 - 02/24/03 09:30 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I take an old song that I have played too many times and rearrange it totally, in many cases giving it a more "modern" flavor by allowing more space in the arrangement, adding soft vocal pads, and/or giving it a slight Jobim/Latin flavor. This has proved very successful, and now the older songs I used to loathe to play I love - most noteably, As Time Goes By, Someone To Watch Over Me, Laura, I've Got You Under My Skin, Fly Me To The Moon, The Way You Look Tonight, Can't Help Falling In Love With You, Lullaby of Birdland, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, etc. The reaction from the audience has been totally positive, which surprised me because standards that used to be slow like Someone To Watch Over Me are now more uptempo but people dance to them the same as they always have. It's very refreshing for both the audience and myself, and lately I've been playing 5-7 nights a week so keeping myself from getting bored is very important.

The Pro: I concur with EVERYTHING you're saying here. The beauty of the arranger keyboard is the ease of which we are able to experiment with and apply new updated styles to those worn tunes we get requested to play night after night, year after year.

#113746 - 02/24/03 09:55 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Scott,
Having played in a Big Band for the last 30 years, I think your list looks a lot like ours.

I got started in performing the older Pop standards (big band & jazz/pop classics) when Harry Connick Jr hit the scene back in the late 80s. I'm particularly psyched that Norah Jones has garnered a grammys sweep with her album 'Come Away With Me' which includes several terrific classic pop standards: The 'Nearness of You', and 'Cold Cold Heart'. She's not only young (23) & goodlooking, but she's actually a terrific singer and keyboardist as well.

Poor Side of Town is a classic Johnny Rivers tune which always receives a great response from my audiences. I use the Yamaha style: '60's Guitar Pop' with the vocal harmonizer on the chorus.

I do "Something Stupid" because it's just THAT, and doesn't try to be anything else. My audiences like it because they like everything Frankie.

Quote:
Scott,
Do you do "Something"?

Yep, I have done a LOT of things, including this classic Beatles tune.

Scott

#113747 - 02/24/03 10:40 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hello Scott.

Good idea !
I am loving this post.
About Luiza , is always my first song, every work (All the things you are on Eb tone, is the second)
Chico

#113748 - 02/24/03 10:45 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Scott.

Do you want play this songs?
I can make the parts in Encore notator,save as PDF(Adobe) file and send to you.
Pls,just say yes.

Chico

#113749 - 02/24/03 10:48 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Terry

Dia dia is in my 500 pieces repertoire, of course.
Chico

#113750 - 02/24/03 11:05 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Tony,

Both "For the Good Times" and "Does Ft. Worth Ever Cross Your Mind" have references to burning bridges.

Tom

Tom

#113751 - 02/24/03 11:20 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
A request for "That's What You Are" had me scratching my head until I figured out they were asking for "Unforgettable"..that's what you are....
Eddie

#113752 - 02/24/03 11:27 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChicoBrasil:
Scott.Do you want play this songs?
I can make the parts in Encore notator,save as PDF(Adobe) file and send to you.
Pls,just say yes. Chico

Hi Chico,
Yes, I am always interested in exploring new songs to add to my repetoire. Thanks to Mathias (José), I now have the chart to Luiza (great chord changes). Embarassingly, I hadn't realized that I do already play Chega de Saudade (No More Blues), and Aquarela do Brasil (Brazil) but only recognized them by their English title.

Chico, I would though be very grateful to receive from you, the music PDF (leadsheet/chords) to:

Se todos fossem iguais a você.
Champagne
La puerta
Nosotros
El dia en que me quieras
Senza fine

Many thanks. Scott

btw: My current favorite Jobim tunes included in my performance repetoire are as follows. I look forward to learning more.

Girl from Ipanema
Corcovado
Wave
Meditation
Desifinado
How Insensitive
One Note Samba
Once I Loved

#113753 - 02/24/03 11:50 AM Re: Please List your FAVORITE Top SONGS here !
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Tony,

Both "For the Good Times" and "Does Ft. Worth Ever Cross Your Mind" have references to burning bridges.

Tom

Tom .... it WAS "For the Good Times" ...

Eddie .... I've actually had that request before ... took me a little time also....

Here in RI, even for wedding dinners, it is customary to play soft dinner music for the entire time the dinner is being served (which in some places can be 3 1/2 of the 4 hours you're hired for!!!)
During that time, since I love the music, I love just going through 'The Real Book', playing ALL those great bossas ....
And I said here in RI, because in NYC the place is rockin' from the time the bridal party is introduced to the last note, which I personally prefer ...
t.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online