SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113690 - 01/20/05 12:50 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi again Scott
SUCCESS!
I tried again the "Step 3" of Jorgens suggestion i.e. going to the autoexec.bat file and adding a 'period and semicolon'after the equals sign of Classpath.
Hope you understand this. Give it a try.

I now am a happy bunny!
cheers

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#113691 - 01/20/05 12:57 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hello Jorgen

Tks very much for sharing your usefull programs.

Cheers
Chico

#113692 - 01/20/05 01:11 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi Eddie

You have got the OTS Editor running! Great.

I am really sorry for the troubles some of you have, but software installation is sometimes a nightmare.

I program a lot in Java for two major reasons:
It was the first programming language I have learned
- and secondly the Java Development Kit includes a MIDI class library (read: prefabricated MIDI building blocks).

Unfortunately you have to install a Java "engine" (the Java Runtime Environment) to run Java programs at a computer. However this shall only be done once, at least untill a new version of the engine comes around.

(The same goes for Microsoft .Net programming. Unless you run XP 1.1 you have to install the .Net Framework for programs written in the .Net languages: C# and VB.Net).

The problem with the Classpath varialble is caused by "bad" programmers.
The Classpath variables tells the Java engine where to look for programs.
The "bad" programmers defines the Calsspath variable to look their program exclusively.
Sorry I can nothing about this problem, than describing the cure for it!

If any of you have trouble running my programs, please look at my Software download Page at http://home7.inet.tele.dk/software/index.htm or mail me at js.dk@mail.tele.dk

The very best wishes
Jørgen

PS: Thanks to Michael for answering the CASM question.

#113693 - 01/20/05 01:14 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Eddie, great to hear that you were finally successful in getting Java 1.5 & OTS Editor up and running.

Jørgen & Eddie:

I (so far) have confirmed (via Java Test utility) that I currently have Java Runtime 1.3.0 installed and running. I now just need to UPGRADE to Java Runtime Environment 1.5 but not sure which SPECIFIC download LINK at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
I should be using. Here are the options:

JDK 5.0 Update 1 with NetBeans 4.0 Bundle
Download JDK
Download JRE

Which one of the above download links should I be using to download the appropriate upgrade? Will the install automatically update Java Runtime 1.3.0 to version 1.5? Do I have to first de-install or shut down Java 1.3.0 before running the Upgrade? If so, how? Sorry for all the questions, but I wanna make sure I do this right and not screw up my PC in the process. Thanks. Scott

#113694 - 01/20/05 01:26 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi again

I forgot to answer Scott!

The Java "engine" is called Java Runtime Environment (JRE).

You click the blue "Download JRE" link at the JRE page, and then accept and at the following page you choose either
1. the Windows offline installation
or
2. the Windows online installation

If 1. you save the the downloaded file at your HD. Then you doubleclick (run) it, and the Java Runtime engine will be installed at your pc.

If 2. the installation of the Java engine will start imideately. Just follow the instructions.

When the Java Runtime is installed you have to do nothing more. The engine is launced automatically when you start a Java program.
(Just like Acrobat Reader starts automatically when you click a pdf file).

Unless - of course - the Classpath configuration is corrupted by the "bad" programmes I mentioned in my previous mail.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Regards
Jørgen

#113695 - 01/20/05 01:36 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi again Scott

Well we both composed a new message at the same time.

Let me add:
- Download JRE is the right one

I personally prefer to uninstal old version before installing a new versions; but I dont really think this is necessary.

You can uninstall JRE 1.3.0 (a really old one) from Windows Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

And afterwards install the new version.

It sure is OK to be carefull with this. Who want to screw up their PC.

When installed you can run any Java Program, and I am 99.99% sure you will have no configuration problem as the Java Test program runs fine.

Feel free to ask again!

Jørgen

#113696 - 01/20/05 01:48 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Success at Last! Many thanks Eddie & Jørgen for your help. Wow, what a vast selection of OTS parameters to select from & customize. It would be great to be able to audition and compare the sound of the newly edited OTS parameters right from your PC without having to re-load the style back into the keyboard first. Still, I'm really excited to put the OTS Editor to good use now. Thanks again for a great program. - Scott

#113697 - 01/20/05 02:00 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Scott

Great!
Enjoy the program!

Jørgen

#113698 - 01/20/05 02:04 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
jeremy_norbury Offline

Loc: Amsterdam,,The Netherlands
Jorgen

What features of Java 1.5.x do you use which prevent this from working under 1.4.x?

Jerry

#113699 - 01/20/05 02:32 PM Re: Two new PSR software programs. And 14 old ones.
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Jerry

I really use no new Java 1.5 features.

But for some reason it seems like programs compiled with the Java compiler version 1.5 will nut run with older versions of Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
Two of my other programs (Revoice Style and Revoice MIDI) were updated in December using the 1.5 compiler and these would not run at JRE 1.4.

This problem was not the point when version 1.4 was introduced. Programs developed with 1.4 would still run at 1.3 if no new features were used.

Java 1.5 has got some real good improvements in the MIDI classes; but these are not used in this program.

Jørgen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online