SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#113358 - 11/08/00 09:33 AM Re: Mackie SRM 450
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have a friend who has the Yamaha mixer with 3 power amps. Seeems to have enough power, but the effects are primitive.
I have found that the powered speakers (I still have those old out-dated EON 15's) sound great, but I'm not sure they really save that much setup time. Each has it's own power cord and balanced mic cable for input. With my old rack-mount system, I could leave everything connected. Just roll in the rack, plug in the keyboard, mic and speakers and play. Not much difference in setup time, really.
Of course to get the efficiency of the powered speakers, you would need to bi-amp, and this means extra stuff in the rack--crossovers and more cables. I'm half-way glad I don't have any money, so don't have to consider a change.
DonM

#113359 - 11/08/00 11:25 AM Re: Mackie SRM 450
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don you have more money than all of us put together. You're out there 7 nights a week making the big bucks. I probably could live on just the tips you receive.

Tom

Tom

#113360 - 11/08/00 12:24 PM Re: Mackie SRM 450
Dnj Offline

hello,

on the mackie srm450 heat issue,
when you leave the speakers on the floor on their side like a monitor this makes the rear COOLING FINS lay in a Horozontal Position (about 20 12" fins) thus the heat which rises from them cannot Cool fast enough and the heat builds up to a hotter level. If the heat becomes to much the Mackies have a Thermal Sensor Shutoff and the Amp will shutdown at a certian temperture. This has happened to me 2x so far until I learned the fan Trick, (ONLY when I have them layed down on the floor in hot weather or hot stage lights or when playing hard Loud music like a disco song etc) at low volumes it doesn't happen. If this occures
the red light will come on and you will have to wait for the unit to cool off about 5 minutes then it will be ok again to work. Here are two tips, try to alway keep the SRM 450 on a stand so that the cooling fins can Cool Properly as designed ( they have NEVER shut off on a stand indoors or outside ) if your gonna put them on the floor only, I use a small 6" portable fan on right against the Fins to prevent this happening during a show. With that aside, NOTHING Sounds better then the Mackies SRM 450's that I have heard so far,.!!!

Donny

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-08-2000).]

#113361 - 11/08/00 02:14 PM Re: Mackie SRM 450
DonM Offline

Yes Tom, I can't complain. I have made hundreds of dollars in this business.
DonM

#113362 - 11/08/00 07:13 PM Re: Mackie SRM 450
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don, I was believeing everything you were telling me but after this post of yours I don't know what to believe. I made hundreds of dollars around New Orleans in the late 50' and 60's man. You must have made a few thousand by now heh?

#113363 - 11/08/00 10:31 PM Re: Mackie SRM 450
DonM Offline

Boo, the big city boys like you, U.D., Tom, Fran, Donny, Scott... make all the big bucks. I barely make enough to maintain my membership in the country club.
I'm down to my last two p.a. systems, and I've only had three keyboards in the last 12 months. Woe is me.
I thought you were coming to sit in with me?
Hurry before I lose my job.
DonM

#113364 - 11/09/00 08:05 PM Re: Mackie SRM 450
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Don,

I've not laughed this hard as I have at your last two post here in years. I love your sense of humor. I will stop in Shreveport to see you some day friend.
Boo

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online