SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#113197 - 01/17/05 07:24 PM Tyros or Pa1X my next keyboard?? Plus rant on my TS
KN_Fan Offline

Hi guys-
Sorry to start this new thread again, I need to vent again as usual. After owning this $3000 Studio (mine was equipped with CDR-W) a couple years later I still struggle with it. Only know very very basic function and I don't produce music close to even 20% of what I used to both in quantity and quality.

I'm not dogging my own keyboard. It is a GREAT keyboard, but I'm SO used to the 'user friendly' arranger's logic, it is sooo frustrating for me to navigate through the Triton Studio (TS). Perhaps most people in the other message boards are more like a studio engineer/musicians, while people here are more of a live musicians? I owned technics pretty much for the last 20 years. I hardly read any manuals, and I managed to confidently bring my keyboards anywhere and can whip up patterns in matter of seconds. With my TS is SO hard to do. TOO much programability. I tried joining tritonhaven forum and irishacts and ask questions there (thanks sharp) but any questions I ask only lead to more questions. I've downloaded Easy Guide, read back and forth the start up guide, manual, you name it. I'm tired of spending too much time posting questions and programming the keyboard...aah!!!

for example: I wanted to create a 4 measure songs that contain 4 simultaneous tracks (bass, drums, piano, string). With my Technics...press "composer" record..BOOM I'm making music in less than a minute. This is not the case with my Studio.

So so so so so frustrating. This is the second time I'm ranting about this...time to sell???

I'm pretty good both musically and knowledgable with various keyboards (Roland D70, D50, MC500 sequencer, Technics, etc) granted they were older generation, but mind you I was only 16 when I had those keyboards but ddidn't have any problems operating them.

Sorry guys don't know if this is off topic or not. I'm just feeling that I'm wasting my talent (just playing the 'grand piano' sound everyday), the keyboard's ability, and my money.

Keyboard is basically is in a mint condition. Should I seriously consider a Tyros instead??? I'm not sure about the Pa1X pro if it's easier because it's an 'arranger' keyboard.
Thanks for listening
jonas

#113198 - 01/17/05 08:17 PM Re: Tyros or Pa1X my next keyboard?? Plus rant on my TS
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Jonas, I rather have a Tyros or a PA1x over a Triton Studio[I had a Studio 76]...you can do so much more with an arranger and still not sacrifice sound...The piano in the PA1x is just as good as the Triton and the key feel is the same as the Studio76...

#113199 - 01/17/05 09:46 PM Re: Tyros or Pa1X my next keyboard?? Plus rant on my TS
KN_Fan Offline

Fran-
What keyboard do you have now? How easy is Pa1X compare to the Triton Studio? I can tell you so far I think Technics is the easiest to operate, but then again I've been using it for the last 20 years so I'm biased.

I know our Travellin Gary played with Pa1X right? Can you share a bit more about your experience?

Anybody else had a Triton and switched back to the arrangers?

I agree I think I underestimated the complexity of the Triton Studio when I got it. Silly me, went to the store, bought it based on the hyped and the piano sounded good at that time through the speakers. Salesman didn't show me that much, but I was thinking, what the hey, I've been playing music, arranging for over 15 years...how hard could the keyboard be?? Boy, I was wrong.

I actually have two choices. Have somebody tutor me how to work this Triton Studio, or trade it with something else. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to find somebody to spend time tutoring me or even interact via MSN.

Second choice is obviously to trade it with something else. Pa1X seems pretty cool keyboard, but I don't see anywhere in my area. After Triton Studio, I don't feel comfortable with Korg's operating system..not mentioning the 3000+ price.

[This message has been edited by KN_Fan (edited 01-17-2005).]

#113200 - 01/18/05 12:08 AM Re: Tyros or Pa1X my next keyboard?? Plus rant on my TS
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi KNFan,

Going by your continuing frustration with the Studio I'd say unload it, save yourself the ulcers, and do your best evaluations of the other top boards out there.

Being that you've had a Korg for the last while, you're probably attuned to Korg's way of doing things, so it would seem that the Pa1X would be well up on your list.

Good luck with whichever board you settle on - you know your health will be the better for it.

#113201 - 01/18/05 04:53 AM Re: Tyros or Pa1X my next keyboard?? Plus rant on my TS
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
JOnas,

I feel your pain. I have a Tyros, Motif ES, and Korg Triton Extreme. The Tyros is the only keyboard of the three that I use for fast recording of song ideas and style creation. The other two I use for PERFORMANCE only!

I've played around with the sequencers on the workstations and it's not something that you can do quickly. It takes a while to compose with those.

The Tyros on the other hand, is much quicker from Idea stage to hard disk. They REALLY are worlds apart in functionality. Heck, I don't even use the renowned arpeggiator in the Motif ES as much as I should. It's even hard to figure out than the Triton's!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love both the Triton Extreme and the Motif ES and would be hard pressed to get rid of either one of them for their own unique qualities, but most of my song composition and song rehearsals are done with the Tyros.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#113202 - 01/19/05 11:37 AM Re: Tyros or Pa1X my next keyboard?? Plus rant on my TS
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks guys-

What's more frustrating to me is that I've joined a couple websites to ask questions, etc...but it seems that we're not really 'communicating'. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple helpful guys but still when they're trying to explain things to me it just doesn't make sense.

For example....MY understanding of A 'pattern' means....I create a 'rhumba'...rhythm section, bass, piano, marimba, what have you, etc....

Now, KORG's understanding of A pattern might mean ONE pattern as in ONE instrument...I don't know..I tried to explain myself but probably not well enough. That's the thing that is frustrating to me too. The keyboard is already hard enough, but finding people with the knowledge AND the same 'understanding' that's tough.

You know..like you try to talk to a computer engineer at work (no offense)...they explain to you for 20 minutes about stuff you don't understand and then I say "But all I want is to open that d*** attachment!!" OK it's not that bad but anybody see my point?

#113203 - 01/19/05 11:54 AM Re: Tyros or Pa1X my next keyboard?? Plus rant on my TS
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Jonas,

If you mostly play at home, one possibility for you would be to get a software arranger running on a PC, and use your Triton as a sound source. Jos Maas's OneManBand, for example, lets you use all the Yamaha styles, of which you can download tons from Internet. There are also other software arrangers out there.

It is not as convenient as having an all-in-one instrument, but if you are going to lose money selling your Triton, this may be an alternative.

I started with real synthesizers, but as I grew older, I realized that my interest lies in playing rather than proramming. These days when I visit a music store, I usually walk right by the "workstations" and synthesizers.

#113204 - 01/21/05 06:42 PM Re: Tyros or Pa1X my next keyboard?? Plus rant on my TS
KN_Fan Offline

Alex,
Definitely I'll lose money selling it, but how much is more like the question.

I would definitely be offended to get a sub 2K offer for sure cause mine is basically scratch free, have the optional CD burner, soft case, keyboard stand.

Hey Al (kbrkr) I emailed you from my hotmail account but probably ddn't get through?

[This message has been edited by KN_Fan (edited 01-21-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online