Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#113007 - 12/22/05 05:30 AM Re: Another GM Software Module
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Roy-Andrč, you are right that the number of GBs alone do not determine the quality of the virtual instrument. However, all other things being equal it does. There are a number of variables which determine the size of the instrument, release samples, no looping, number of velocity layers, incorporating different characteristics via keyswitching (breath, key cliks, growls, bends, etc.) and so on. In other words one might refer to these as super SAVs. In the sampling world these instruments have been around for a number of years.

....but you are right that you can make very beautiful noises with relatively small byte size instruments. These are all great choices for musicians.

Frank,
I re-read my reply, and it looks like I'm second guessing you on the GB part. For the record, I'm not!!!!
I have learnt a lot from your posts here!
As you may know, I use the OnStage Performer for my file playing, that being wav-files. In turn, this means I can edit any type of midifile to make it the best, and it is in this aspect that I'm always searching for the best sounds around. I then render these to wav. Frank, you have been a great resource for me and others here!
Craig-UK
I use plug-ins all the time these days, and my experience is that better sounds make good midifiles sound great. I buy most of my files on the net, and these are for the most part very well programmed. But if I can enhance these with better sounds than you can find in arrangers or GM modules, then, great!
I also depended on lyrics, but with OP I don't care anylonger whether the files have lyrics, since it is so easy to do these in OnStage Performer.

#113008 - 12/22/05 05:34 AM Re: Another GM Software Module
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Here is a use of some of the smaller virtual instruments (Garritan's Personal Orchestra) in a live U2 concert: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40882
I thought you might find this interesting.

#113009 - 12/22/05 08:35 AM Re: Another GM Software Module
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Thanks Frank, very interesting indeed. There are so many temptations where sound and plug ins are concerned. I watched the demo of NI Bandstand, and it looks very interesting. How much better does the Colossus sound would you say? 32GB compared to 2,3GB. I understand NI BS handles program changes and midi subtleties better, but if you should put your finger on something specific, is there anything that springs to mind?
And how do Bandstand compare to HyperSonic 1 which I do have?
Thanks again!
Roy-Andrč

[This message has been edited by royandreno (edited 12-22-2005).]

#113010 - 12/22/05 09:56 AM Re: Another GM Software Module
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Roy-Andrč, when it comes to quality of sound of the ones you have identified I would say it clearly is Colossus. It is not so good with program changes and this includes when it is used with kontakt as the sample player. Bandstand is a better balance between quality and reponding to midi messages. Again I would recommend Bandstand over Hypersonic 1 or 2 if for no other reason that while the sounds are of similar quality it nonetheless fits in better with my overall direction of chosing NI for my samplers and effects plus some of the instruments (B4, sampled instruments, etc.). All these things work well together.

However, you might say I am hostage to NI should something happen to them (business failure or acquired by others).

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 12-22-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online