SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112984 - 05/18/02 11:53 AM laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
This is a dup from the pc section .... just in case !

I use a PIII 600Mhz Gateway with W98SE.
I use alot of MP3 and WMA files on breaks, and to provides DJ services for the "kids".
Here's my queary:
In some roooms (not all) I get a kind of static, buzz from the audio output of the pc.
(There is NO line out....just a HP)
At home into a pair of Yamaha powered pc speakers ... no problem.
It doesn't happen everywhere, but when it DOES happen, it sounds like a scratched record played with a bad needle.
I've heard of PCMCIA sound cards that provide better sound - is this an answer to my particular troubles?
I'd love to have a better cable connection than the headphone jack too.
Anyone have experience in this area?
I suspect that neon lights and smoke eaters may have something to do with the problem - it's that's true, then nothing will change the crackles, I guess.
Funny - the keyboard signal is not crackley ... only the pc sound.
Any ideas?

#112985 - 05/18/02 12:30 PM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
Maximo Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
My guess will be a latency issue.
If you go to the soundcard settings, you'll find 2 value for latency, usually they have the same value, for instance 20 for the first and 20 for the second. Try to lower down the second value of latency.
Hope this help,

Maximo

#112986 - 05/18/02 03:00 PM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
Uncle Dave Offline

Forgive me if I don't get it, but what does latency have to do with it? I thought that only reared it's ugly audio head with midi playback?
Also ....... where exactly are these settings? In the Device manager section?
I'm using win amp to play the audio, if that clears up anything.
Thanx for the tip!

#112987 - 05/18/02 06:34 PM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
Roel Offline

Hi Dave,
The symptoms you describe look like 'radio-interference' caused by light-dimming equipment. The switching-technology generates many harmonics that come into your music equipment via the mains leads. A proper 'low-pass' filter could solve this problem.

Another possibility :
Your equipment is powered by different main-voltage groups. In this case it might happen the Earthing potential is slightly different and current flows through the earthing leads.

I hope this helps,

Roel

#112988 - 05/19/02 10:08 AM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
Your equipment is powered by different main-voltage groupsRoel

Everything goes through the same a/c box, and goes into a single outlet in the wall. Is there a way to "separate" each individual power supply, and stay in the same rack?
(sounds iffy)

Also, since it is NOT a constant problem, I'm more inclined to think that it's an RF issue too. Some rooms, it never happens. It's mostly just ONE room. I guess I'll have to do some more "room comparisons" before I have enough data to compile a "real" solution. There are still a few unanswered questions.
Thanx for all the advice, but what I'd really like to know is:
More about an EXTERNAL sound card so I can have a higher quality, cleaner signal everywhere.
Always searching........................
"It's ALWAYS something"
(Thanx Rosanne Rosannadanna)

#112989 - 05/19/02 05:22 PM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hey Dave Just in case;
When it happens unplug the adapter and go on the battery, when it goes away with the adapter unplugged tell me and let me know how you solved the problem!
I have exactly the same problem with my compaq laptop. so I just unplug the adapter.

I did not find a solution yet.

#112990 - 05/19/02 09:59 PM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
Uncle Dave Offline

Hmmmm, that might be a fix for 1/2 hour or so, but my battery would NEVER last a whole night. Anyway - I think it's an interference thing - I did a DJ job tonite and it sounded crystal clear. Must be that room.

#112991 - 05/21/02 04:56 AM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Uncle Dave, about the external soundcard, there is a new one by Creative, the Soundblaster Extigy which also supports "audio clean up" for elimination of the pcs audio interferences. It also hosts SPDIF Input /Output, Line Input, Microphone Input, Headphone Out, IR with Remote and Dolbe Digital sound. It sells in europe for 170 Euro.

#112992 - 05/21/02 06:05 AM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
Uncle Dave Offline

Hmmmm, now THAT sounds cool - is it a PCMCIA deal?

#112993 - 05/21/02 04:55 PM Re: laptops and sound cards(duplicate post)
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I used the Sound Blaster extigy at home and no, this is not a pcmcia deal.
This just goes through the usb port of your laptop. Then all you have to do is install the driver and you're done.
You can hook up spdif, optical in/out, it even does 5.1 and it's specifically designed for laptops, very easy and straightforward to setup.
This goes for about $149 in the US.
Let me know if you need more infos.

Claude

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online