SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#112819 - 09/08/07 03:20 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
This demo makes me want to see some of the members post their best efforts at simple solo instrument simulation. i.e. Sax, Guitar, Piano or whatever. Just to give us some idea of what various keyboards are capable of doing as a solo instrument simulator.

D.

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#112820 - 09/08/07 04:05 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
An awful lot of imitative synthesis revolves around the PLAYER, not the sound. I've heard some amazing things by amazing players on old technology, and we have ALL heard someone make a T2's SA sax sound like a kazoo!

One of the main tricks with imitative sounds is to learn what your sound CAN'T do, and then don't do it! No matter HOW much you'd like to...

So a really good demo of say a sax sound on anyone's arranger usually involves playing to it's strengths, and avoiding it's weaknesses. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, unlike Purgatory Creek...

#112821 - 09/08/07 05:36 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
No doubt about it, Roland sounds are awesome. The only reason I'm playing a Tyros now is first of all the weight, second, the choices of beginnings and endings, the easy to navigate OS, the ability to load any style, even from the G 70, and the overall reliability of the board. I still love the sounds of my G 1000, but at 300 gigs per year, the Tyros more than does the job. For me it's not about the board so much as it is the overall presentation.

Rock on,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#112822 - 09/08/07 06:03 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
While one can say "warm", others can say "muffled" I thought the G-70 MP3 sounded a bit deep.

I preferred the clean lead sound of the T-2.

The drums were definitely better sounding on the G-70.

Of course this all depends on the settings used to record each song, and the hardware that we are listening with.

So it's difficult to say one is better then the other. I also say thanks for the demos, and nice playing.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#112823 - 09/08/07 06:22 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Dreamer no doubt about it the G70 is richer. The piano and sax you used are 2 of my favorites on the G70. The Tyros2 sounds terrific as well. I had my wife listen to both samples as well without her knowing which was which. She too chose the G70 as the richer.

Quote:
as posted by Joe Ayala The only reason I'm playing a Tyros now is first of all the weight, second, the choices of beginnings and endings, the easy to navigate OS, the ability to load any style, even from the G 70,

Probably the same reasons I won't part with the Tyros2.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 09-08-2007).]

#112824 - 09/08/07 07:09 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
to the genesys Offline

Well this definitively proves it!!!!!
The evidence is overwhelming!!

Both keyboards are equally just as good and bad, and both of them cam be made to sound good or bad.

Its really all about the player.
Both boards can make a bad player sound good and a good player can make one or both of them sound bad.

I personally thought that the G70s rendition sounded better. It had more space and character to it. The balance of the sounds on the G70 sounded more appealing. The G70s rendition was slower to me and the sound selected on the g70 was more natural sounding and that added to the warmth. I did however like the percussions in the Tyros 2 rendition.

If I were to base a purchasing decision just on those demos alone, I would choose the G70. But I have heard the Tyros 2 on other occasions and I know about its sonic power and greatness. I have also heard the G70 in situations where it just did not sound good.

Give me a Tyros 2 or G70 and I could make both of them sound very good or very bad depending on what day of the week it is.

#112825 - 09/08/07 07:53 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One thing to remember here is we are not comparing apples to apples, again. Street price on a G70 nowadays floats around $2700USD, T2 still hovers at $3500+USD.

That's a fair bit extra...

Both still sound wonderful, but one can be had for nearly $800 less than the other. Food for thought.

#112826 - 09/08/07 08:19 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
Dnj Offline

Dreamer dont you also have a MIDJAY? Id like to hear this tune using the ketron sounds just to make it fair.

#112827 - 09/08/07 08:34 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Dreamer dont you also have a MIDJAY? Id like to hear this tune using the ketron sounds just to make it fair.

It's a comparison between Tyros 2 and G70 so I don't see why the Midjay should be featured as well especially since it's not an arranger keyboard. And then what about Wersi, Lionstracs, Korg, Gem, etc.? If you compare apples with oranges you don't drag in bananas, do you? Now that wouldn't be fair. A banana isn't a fruit after all.

Taike

#112828 - 09/08/07 08:40 PM Re: A sonic comparison between Tyros 2 and G-70
Dnj Offline

Ooops I forgot again, we have to start the arguments no matter what is said on any post eh?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online