SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112741 - 03/09/06 04:53 AM one more question about pa vs. psr
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i am sure some of you are pretty tired by my post by now! well, still trying to figure out things.
its been known that korg has very good sounds and styles. the sound of a keyboard gives pretty much the identity, but also the styles.
so, pa has great styles, more alive and catchy than psr. but wouldn t be possible to get the same feeling of the styles (i am not talking about the sounds/voices, but the groove) using a psr3000 loaded with some pa's styles?
i am trying to see if the much appreciated styles of korg can push up the psr3000 some more.
tnx!

#112742 - 03/09/06 06:02 AM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
adimatis,

In theory what you say is true and possible. Most of us have found out that converted styles perform best in the machine for which they were designed.

Most of the time the converted styles need a lot of work to be usable. There are exceptions and it sometimes depends on the machine source and the machine destination as to how well they work.

Tom

Tom

#112743 - 03/09/06 02:46 PM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
unless you have the time & inclination to edit converted styles, you're normally better off getting the keyboard who's styles you really like . If you like both nearly equally, then not an issue.

Unedited converted styles, don't sound the same as they do on the original keyboard. You also sometimes end up with intro's and endings that don't sound quite right.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by adimatis:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#112744 - 03/10/06 09:19 AM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I said this 3 or 4 years ago when I first got my dinosaur i30 and was ridiculed for it, and I know it's gonna happen again, but here goes.

I'm sure that it is the 8, 12 and 16 bar loops that make the Korg styles sound the way they do. Which to me seems more alive. At the end of the 8 bar loop on some of the variations there is a fill usually which livens things up without using the fill button. The same is true with the 12 and 16 bar loops. One big band style on each variation has a different amount of bars that loop.

Thus if the PSR only is capable of 4 bar loops and they can't be modified to accept the longer loops, I think it is useless to convert Korg to Yamaha. Now, Yamaha converted to Korg may be a different story. I really haven’t a clue about that aspect.

Of course I could be wrong but this is a suspicion I've had all along.

#112745 - 03/10/06 10:32 AM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Boo,

You gonna bring that piece of antiquity to crawdad country? I hope so.

Tom

Tom

#112746 - 03/10/06 02:17 PM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
brickboo Offline

Tom,
I have to. I'm still learning all the buttons and what can be done with each style. I can't see how anyone can change a keyboard every 6 months unless they only use the rock and roll styles with 2 or 3 chord changes, or play midi files through it all night.
Oh! Oh! here we go again. Tom you big instigator don't get me started again, OK? If anything happens here it's Tom's fault. Ha! Ha!

#112747 - 03/11/06 11:41 PM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
Oh! Oh! here we go again. Tom you big instigator don't get me started again, OK? If anything happens here it's Tom's fault. Ha! Ha!

OK I'll make a mental note of that Boo

#112748 - 03/12/06 04:34 AM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
"Thus if the PSR only is capable of 4 bar loops and they can't be modified to accept the longer loops, I think it is useless to convert Korg to Yamaha. Now, Yamaha converted to Korg may be a different story. I really haven’t a clue about that aspect."

The newer PSR can be set to any number of bars for style parts.Unfortunately,Yamaha makes very little use of this and it seems to be implemented mostly on Jazz or Big Band styles.I think part of it is to keep the style file to a smaller size to allow room for more onboard styles.
I have converted Korg to Yamaha but the results were usually less than satisfactory...usually an issue with note limits and chord recognition rather than the sounds.I have used parts from Korg styles with much greater success in making new styles using PSR Style Creator.They have lots of movement and provide a nice addition to a Yamaha style.

Ian

#112749 - 03/12/06 05:00 PM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
brickboo Offline

Ian,
Thanks for some clarification on the subject. Everyone is different. Some like less movement in the style. It allows them to add more while playing live.
I do a lot of improvisation with my sax and the movement in the Korg sequences I use motivate me more while playing the sax.

#112750 - 03/13/06 01:39 AM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
adimatis Offline

so, let me understand:
1. does psr3000 (being a newer model) aloud me record more than 4 bar loops in a style?
2. is this psr style creator a pc program, or you're talking about onboard style editor? does it work in a host program (cubase)? how do i get it (is it on the cd that comes with the keyboard, or available for free)?
3. would "groove" and "dynamics" editing change the feel of the style significantly?
4. what is the size of an average style in psr?

(i only red the manual of psr3000, so, no idea how it works in real)

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 03-13-2006).]

#112751 - 03/13/06 02:44 AM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
ianmcnll Offline

I'll try and answer these for you...
1.The PSR-3000 will allow up to 32 bars in each style section...the more bars used,the larger the style size will become and it will take up more space in the user/card storage area.
2.The Style Creator is onboard the PSR-3000.I use it to take parts from one style and use them in another(Assembly)which is the easiest form of editing but still will give great results.
3."Groove & Dynamics will change a swing to an 8 beat,or an 8 beat to a swing.You can change 8 beat to 16 beat.You can change an English Waltz to a Swing Waltz.
Groove & Dynamics can affect one style part or any number of parts.
4.Styles can be from approximately 12 KB(a basic piano style) to 32 KB or larger,depending on the number of parts used and their complexity.

I hope this helps.

Ian

#112752 - 03/13/06 03:40 AM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The answer would be if an arranger which would vary a style as per BAND IN A BOX does, it takes style elements from a data base but does this at random depending on the chord type.
As Boo knows I have been and still am a Korg & Roland fan, at the moment I use a PSR3000.
Another BIAB feature that arranger could use is the SOLO Around the Melody feature which really bring the thing to life.

#112753 - 03/13/06 03:41 AM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
adimatis Offline

tnx ian, much appreciated!

#112754 - 03/13/06 01:23 PM Re: one more question about pa vs. psr
ianmcnll Offline

Craig,
Yamaha tried a similar idea with the PSR-8000/730 using what they called a "Virtual Arranger".
Here is a quote from the introduction of the PSR-8000...

"'Virtual Arranger', a new innovation from Yamaha, adds more than a simple variation of style the user plays. It will add riffs, phrases, chord changes, and other embellishments appropriate for that style, making users sound even more professional."

In practice,I found it worked fine for very simple chords,but once you started adding Maj7th, 6th or 9th chords,the results weren't all that great.
BIAB apparently handles this stuff better,but it is not a "live" player.
It would be nice to see the Yamaha implement BIAB's idea but allow real time playing...

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online