SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#112668 - 05/21/07 09:58 AM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I had the PSR700 here at my store and all the buttons were more of a rubber feel and not hard plastic.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#112669 - 05/21/07 11:08 AM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, Ian (it's NOT a dig...), but as a Yamaha demonstrator, why don't Yamaha get you to use their TOTL arranger? Surely the speakers can't be the ONLY reason you prefer the PSR? T2 is light enough it can't be a weight issue...

Anyway, just curious why so much attention to the mid-line, despite being employed by Yamaha....
------------------------------------------------
A day without a Chord Sequencer is like a day without my left hand....

#112670 - 05/21/07 11:39 AM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
Dnj Offline

Diki whats the big deal....
I had a T2 ..wasn't for me .....Ian had his reasons also...TOTL means nothing compared to a personal Comfort zone ..... it just so happens the 3k does it for both of us & does it very well & I'm sure the S900 will accommodate even more.......demonstrator or not is of no consequence.....I also have been asked many times by dealers to demo KB's but Its not my thing & too busy & the pay stinks compared to gigging for me.. .....personally & honestly for "ME" the T2 in all its greatness just didn't feel right when I performed with it, but did sound awesome in many ways.... more importantly make sure the Musician playing is "TOTL"

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-21-2007).]

#112671 - 05/21/07 12:39 PM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Donny, it ISN'T a big deal (see the 'it's NOT a dig' comment?). Just curious, given that he IS a demonstrator...

Please don't read stuff into my posts that isn't there. Curiosity ONLY killed the cat... I'm still fine.

#112672 - 05/21/07 12:49 PM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
Dnj Offline

Boy we're starting early this week eh? what ever.. bring me a S900 I'll make it shine period!

#112673 - 05/21/07 12:57 PM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When I raced cars, the losers would always shine their cars too...I just kept racing till I won it all...

"bring me a S900 I'll make it shine period!"

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-21-2007).]

#112674 - 05/21/07 01:30 PM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Diki,

I don't think you're giving me a dig, if you were, I know you could come up with something better.

If I need a T2 to demo, I just ask Yamaha..it arrives here...I've had several since it's introduction, and I've done numerous tours with it.(just staring a short one tomorrow, matter of fact).

It's a very nice instrument and a real high quality piece of work.

It's not a weight issue at all regarding the T2, I'm into martial arts, so I'm in shape...but it is bulky, and awkward, especially in a road case and I want on-board speakers for playing at home....and I don't want to be attaching and re-attaching the satellites and sub with the Tyros2.

I usually have two identical keyboards...one is a backup, and my busy personal playing schedule demands that I have backups, but the price of two Tyros2, even at my employee's discount, would be a bit much for me.

The PSR-3000(and soon to be S900) is plenty, especially after I've enhanced it with my own styles and registrations, the latter being very simple, but with a lot of attention paid to EQ and effects, and, most importantly....I can afford to buy two.

My gigging setup is pretty basic...the keyboard, a pair of Yamaha MS60s powered monitors(with homemade stands), a double X keyboard stand, two sustain pedals(one's a spare), three cables(one's a spare) and a nice folding bench...it all goes in a Honda Accord, and it is a pretty efficient package, and allows me to make a comfortable living at what I love.

I've just sold one 3k and I have a buyer for the other when I get my first S900...another will be added a short while later.

Well, I've strayed away far enough from your question....next thing you know I'll be talking about a chord sequencer.

Ian

------------------
Common misconception...size and weight equal quality and performance. Don't be fooled.

#112675 - 05/21/07 04:02 PM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
This new S-900 has sparked my interest. Yes, yes, I know "Squeak's a Roland guy". One of the first things that stood out to me in the pic was "no more cheap plastic painted buttons". I also think the overall design is pretty sharp compared to the PSR-3000.

When the S-900/700 are released, I'll make my decision as to which one I will buy--I will say the S-900 having some SA voices puts it in the lead for me.

Everyone here knows I do a lot of hip hop and so forth, but I also do orchestral/classical (roots were actually in classical music), and I also enjoy film score, and other traditional styles... I have always felt Yamaha has had very strong orchestral voices and like them very much.

Regardless of which S model I buy it won't be used for anything modern... I'll use it strictly for traditional styles (which is what the PSR's are best for anyways).

Squeak, believe me mate you will be happy with the S900 for hip hop purposes. i am probably the youngest guy on this forum and i love all the new stuff of today. i personally chose Yamaha over my old technics and all the rolands purely because i feel it offers much more for modern dance / trance and R&B music.

being a tweak freak like yourself (no offense please), you will really be able to make some awesome beats out of it. the dance kit is very punchy.

Using the voice editor software u can even edit the parameters of the drum kit to make them even punchier etc.

ACTUALLY heres a good one - will an S900 have Voice Editor software???

#112676 - 05/21/07 05:29 PM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
just wondering nick if you have ever seriously looked "under the hood" with the korg's, imo the dance, trance hiphop house etc etc sounds and kits are far more live and punchy than the yammi's...just curious..
cheers
dennis

#112677 - 05/21/07 05:56 PM Re: What Improvements do you like about the new Yamaha S900 looking at the manual?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I definitely agree they're synths have much better features / sounds / beats for Dance and Hip hop, but in arranger land I reckon Yamaha have a better sound for it compared to the PA series and the Roland E and G series. the lead voices are more useful. then again it does depend what exact type of music you want to play.

I choose to play a lot of popular dance / trance songs from the last 5 years such as DJ Sammy, Sash, ATB, Ian Van Dahl, Faithless etc and I just feel that Yamaha sounds more to the real thing... A lot of people also comment on how accurate the sounds are suited to these songs as well...

I think Korg and Roland veer towards straight Techno and Electronica. (I am only talking about arrangers here not synths)

As for synths I think they are all equal in sound quality for modern music but i would buy a yamaha Motif cos thats really my preference since i have been a long time yamaha user.

whereas someone who always uses roland might prefer the Fantom series as it makes them more comfortable...

Nick

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online