SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#112256 - 05/24/05 10:12 AM Re: Keyboard + mixer + audio interface setup
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Andy, I'm happy to see you went Mackie. I'm using a Behringer mixer - I was told that even though its half the price its just as good. Yeah right. There's no such thing!

#112257 - 05/24/05 12:51 PM Re: Keyboard + mixer + audio interface setup
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
Hi. I don't think you need the individual outs at all. The optional Mackie Firewire interface converts everything from analog to digital INSIDE the board and sends everything to your computer and each channel is recorded SEPARATELY as wav files with their free software that comes with the Firewire Interface. 8 Channels==one cable.
I have the 12 channel Mackie Onyx board and the preamps are fantastic. For the money, I don't think you'll get the same audio quality with anything else.
Also, I think you can get by with the 12 channel version. The first 2 channels are XLR with a switch that activates a built in direct box if you need it. The next two are straight XLR inputs. The last 4 are 1/4" stereo.

Mackie Firewire Interface Info: http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxfirewire/

Here is part of Mackie's description of the Firewire interface capabilities:

"The Onyx FireWire Card is a true first. This user-installable 24-bit/96kHz card transforms the Onyx 1220, 1620 and 1640 mixers into fantastic-sounding digital audio interfaces capable of sending up to 18 channels of audio to your Mac or PC — without the need for additional converter boxes or hardware. Thanks to the use of flagship Onyx mic preamps, superior analog circuitry, and class-leading A/D converters, Onyx mixers with FireWire rival the sound quality of dedicated audio interfaces costing many times more. Not to mention the simplicity of plugging in up to 16 microphones and sending them directly from the mixer to your computer... and monitoring a stereo mix back through the mixer."

#112258 - 05/25/05 02:17 PM Re: Keyboard + mixer + audio interface setup
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi guys, sorry to re-post my question... i would appreciate if someone could help me with the following:

Question: can i use the fireface in a mixerless configuraion such as the following:

keyboards -> fireface -> monitors

and if yes, can i still use the fireface as a mixer with my computer OFF?

thanks a lot.
justin

Quote:
Originally posted by justin13:
hi YamahaAndy (and others),

i'm new to this forum, which i find great, and have some questions about the fireface audio interface that i'm seriously considering buying!

interestingly enough(!), i would end up with a configuration which would be quite similar to yours and some others here: i'm a keyboard player and have a few keyboards + 2 electric/acoustic guitars as instruments (keyboards are main instruments however). also, i have Mackie HR824 monitor speakers (great ones) that i use with my Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro as analog mixer. so, it goes like:

keyboards -> mackie mixer -> monitors

pretty simple!

so far, i've been doing most of my recordings on the integrated sequencer of one of my keyboards (old Korg 01wfd), but now i want to use the fireface and my newly-built pc (small-form factor, with one pci slot only (main reason i'm going firewire))!

so my question is: can i get rid of my Mackie analog mixer and just use the fireface as following:

keyboards -> fireface -> monitors

does fireface have appropriate monitor outs (does it sound any less good than the mackie mixer for example), and more specifically, can i still use the fireface (as above) _without_ my computer ON while not recording and just playing around with ideas on the keyboard?

i still very much like my mackie mixer, but it's just too big for my little home studio space! i don't mind keeping it (especially that it's very practical to adjust all levels in real-time with just a knob or two), but i'm just curious to know whether i absolutely need a mixer and if yes, would it introduce any audible noise in the recording chain?

as you can see from my questions, i'm a newbie in home studio recording!

thanks all for any help....
justin

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online