SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#112216 - 11/29/06 02:35 PM Re: Live Situations-A different take
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I hear ya kbrkr!

It's funny how other musos tend (I'm generalising here) to blame the drummer, when the drummer (usually) has a MUCH better idea where "1" is than they do!

I get many comments from people (musos and non-musos) about how perfectly timed my keyboard playing is!

"Most keyboard players seem to be too fast or slow" they say.

I haven't the heart to tell 'em I was a formally trained Drummer since the age of 9!!

It makes a difference!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#112217 - 11/29/06 07:22 PM Re: Live Situations-A different take
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
i like working with a percussionist so much i have formed a steady duo: "MO & MADAFO Jazzy World Music Duo" Madafo loves to play bongos and hand percussion along w/the arranger, he finds it liberating, not restricting. I tried a conga player once when Madafo was unavailable, an excellent musician- but i found that the bongos work much better w/the arranger, the congas don't blend as well. we can add a female vocalist, trumpet, guitar if called for. most musicians hate playing along w/arrangers at first because it requires them to keep better time than they possess. you hear all kinds of crap from them about "human" time being preferable. it's just them covering up for their deficiencies. since i started playing arrangers 6 years ago, i feel my sax playing on sax-sideman gigs has improved remarkably in terms of time, due to my body
and ears absorbing the perfect time of the kb..
Miami Mo

#112218 - 11/29/06 07:22 PM Re: Live Situations-A different take
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
i like working with a percussionist so much i have formed a steady duo: "MO & MADAFO Jazzy World Music Duo" Madafo loves to play bongos and hand percussion along w/the arranger, he finds it liberating, not restricting. I tried a conga player once when Madafo was unavailable, an excellent musician- but i found that the bongos work much better w/the arranger, the congas don't blend as well. we can add a female vocalist, trumpet, guitar if called for. most musicians hate playing along w/arrangers at first because it requires them to keep better time than they possess. you hear all kinds of crap from them about "human" time being preferable. it's just them covering up for their deficiencies. since i started playing arrangers 6 years ago, i feel my sax playing on sax-sideman gigs has improved remarkably in terms of time, due to my body
and ears absorbing the perfect time of the kb..
Miami Mo

#112219 - 11/29/06 07:34 PM Re: Live Situations-A different take
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
I am just getting started with a guitar duo working nursing homes. I have two jobs in December and one in January so far and I want to thank the members here for their great advice! My wife is helping with the booking and she is doing a great job too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online