SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112024 - 11/15/06 04:12 AM Singing better than ever and here's why
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Actually, I don't know if it's why but it's the only thing I have changed. Several weeks ago, due to heart problems, I changed to a low-carb diet from a low-fat, high-carb diet. I also added some vitamin supplements: fish oil, cal-mag, folate, co-q-10, grapeseed, hawthorn, Vit E & C.

I don't know what it is but I suspect this low-carb diet is it. I am singing better than I ever have. I have a higher range, a natural vibrato is more prominent and it just sounds overall better. I'm very pleased!

I have heard that dairy is not good for voice. I eat only some cheese now and then; I quit milk. And at this time, I eat no bread, no pasta, no potatos. Very low-carb at this time. Almost no starches.

I don't know what it is but I like it. What is surprising to me most of all is a higher range. If you have any comments, I'd like to hear them.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#112025 - 11/15/06 05:21 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

It almost sounds as if you are on the South Beach Diet, a program that was designed by a cardiologists because his patients were not getting better on the American Heart Association's diet. This, however, is a side effect that I cannot recall happening to me or DNJ when we went on the program. Keep up the good work my friend--you're gonna' die at the ripe old age of 108, shot in the back of the head by a jealous husband as you try to escape the second floor bedroom of his 20-year-old wife!

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#112026 - 11/15/06 06:45 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
SemiLiveMusic Offline

It's the Protein Power low-carb plan. Both are low-carb but I think maybe it is more restrictive on carbs than South Beach diet. But maybe their Phase 1 is very similar, super restrictive. On PP plan, not more than 7-10 grams carb per meal and not more than 30-40 grams carb per day. Until you reach maintenance phase. I'm not that overweight, I did it mostly for the heart, although getting down to "fighting weight" is a good thing for anyone.

I seem to recall things I have read about "don't eat this, don't eat that" (and not having to do with a certain way of eating) for singers to keep their voice healthy and clear.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#112027 - 11/15/06 07:07 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Bill:

I also amd on a very rigid "change your life habits around" diet, very much like South Beach but my wife has done some amazing things and thrown away most of the food containers in our home because of harmful ingredients found in them. Not sure what she's doing, but after about a month I've lost 20 lbs and still going strong. Exercise plays a big part, blood pressure is almost normal, blood sugar is almost spot on normal, and the amazing thing is after about a week, I don't miss eating the garbage I use to eat. Havn't been hungry so far. 6' 2.75" and weighed 248. This am weighed 226, target is 195, 31 to go but in no hurry I think I'll make it.

The singing better part I would guess is more room in your chest for lung expansion,( more air volume) by reducing the load capicity in you stomach you've gained more room.

Sounds like your on adkins, or sountbeach, adkins just didn't get the job done for me, loose weight but broke no habits so gain it right back. Southbeach is good, but when you get rid of a bunch of man made food ingredients added to it and get back to basic food, its terrific.

Glad your doing something to stay healthy. Keep up the good work......cheers...pose

#112028 - 11/15/06 08:33 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

Milk is is an animal secretion. It promotes secretions in the consumer's body that coat the vibrating parts of the vocal tract and restrict their movement. Pretty disgusting, no?

Congratulations on your discovery and I hope your health continues to improve.

#112029 - 11/15/06 01:48 PM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.

I wonder if he's on a low carb diet?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#112030 - 11/15/06 03:54 PM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
....maybe a "see"food diet ?

#112031 - 11/15/06 04:18 PM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
Dnj Offline

With Pavoratti's voice & money he dont have to worry

#112032 - 11/16/06 12:06 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The "higher range" bit is a surprise; I've had a bit of training and my teacher reckoned that "you've got what you've got, I'll help you use it better" and that's certainly my experience. Maybe you've just got technically better at the high stuff due to the changes in physiology so you are happier going there?

#112033 - 11/16/06 02:48 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MacAllcock:
"my teacher reckoned that "you've got what you've got, I'll help you use it better"

To me, that's a surprising comment in that I most definitely extended my range just from singing countless hours over a few years. I thought it was a common thing that practice can do that. As for this latest improvement, I dunno, but diet and vitamins is all have changed.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#112034 - 11/16/06 03:53 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:

I wonder if he's on a low carb diet?

Apparently he is on the PYRAMID diet - eat everything in every food group

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#112035 - 11/16/06 08:31 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by loungelyzard:
Bill:

......but my wife has done some amazing things and thrown away most of the food containers in our home because of harmful ingredients found in them. Not sure what she's doing, but after about a month I've lost 20 lbs and still going strong.

Pose, I'm very curious about the food containers, what kind of harmful ingredients? Are you talking plastics? I'd like to know what she's doing to I could stand to drop about 20. Wow, if I could stop eating things out of containers maybe I could lose some weight. I know if I stopped eating out of containers that had the name Ben and Jerry on them I'd be better off....

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 11-16-2006).]

#112036 - 11/17/06 02:57 PM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
MacAllcock Offline

"I most definitely extended my range just from singing countless hours over a few years"

My teacher would suggest it was always there but you hadn't discovered how to use it - that's how he explained it to me when previously unavailable notes became musically useful,

Not that it really matters how you got there - singing is different for everyone - if it works and it feels alright - well done and keep up the good work!

#112037 - 11/19/06 04:40 PM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
djay Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I found onions and oily food generally ruins my voice, so i avoid that before gigs. I gaveup ice a long time ago, becuase i always lost control over my voice after having ice.

The best thing ive found for a soothing throat is 1 tsp. honey + blackpepper. and orange juice with blackpeppe. also, for range improvement, ive realised few drops of concentrated eucalyptus oil in a cup of green tea 30 minutes before i start singing does wonders.

overall, i find for better vocal performance and range development, practice practice and mroe practice is inevitable.

just my $0.02

------------------
~Jay

Yamaha PSR-3000
Korg i3

#112038 - 11/20/06 12:53 AM Re: Singing better than ever and here's why
MacAllcock Offline

Even though I tend to shift pints of iced diet cola during gigs, it is generally accepted that drinking chilled drinks is a bad thing as you want your vocal kit to be warm and loose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online