SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111761 - 10/25/07 09:14 AM Re: What's this guy playing?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
In the video. It's possible the model NORD STAGE.

#111762 - 10/25/07 10:09 AM Re: What's this guy playing?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

Which one do you think I should get? No particular plans for use out...just WANT ONE!

"Packrat" Russ

First let me say, you have a wonderful wife. Next, I don't really know anything about the Nords either, other than the C1, which I absolutely love, love, love (and not just until the next model comes out). They have an excellent reputation among those that own them but they don't have nearly the (market) coverage of the big three.

IN MY OPINION, they are the epitome of a "pro" instrument, in that they are extremely well built, well voiced, and price-wise, "kinda high" (remember, one requirement for being a "pro" instrument is that it be at least slightly overpriced ).

As far as that red color, well I guess these guys just listen to a different drummer, but I'm guessing you'll be seeing a lot more of them in the future.

chas

#111763 - 10/25/07 03:51 PM Re: What's this guy playing?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I agree that that is a Nord Stage.

A friend just got an Electro 61, and the Wurli and Rhodes ROCK...! The B3 section although no real drawbars, has one of the top two or three clone sounds out there, too.

It's actually one of the FEW current keyboards (although I'd rather get a Nord Stage 73) that I have any serious lust for...

Just about the perfect axe to go out and jam with...

#111764 - 10/25/07 04:16 PM Re: What's this guy playing?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Ian, still have two "old Whirly's"-a black case and an old brown case. Great sound. I've seen them more frequently lately. Belonged to my old partner. Got them from his wife after he passed away. Lot's of maintenance (reeds) as I remember.

Russ

Yep, Russ, it was the fiddly way you had to tune them with solder and a file...and the reeds had to come out...and you had to solder, file, put the reed back, plug the piano back in, then repeat as necessary...arrrgghh!

But, I felt the Wurly was better for playing rhythm than the Rhodes which was usually too sweet even when spanked, although it did work in some tunes.

The Clavinet D-6 was king for playing rhythm...played one but never owned one...had a great DX-7 patch that did the job.

Vintage gear is so cool, but I'm just too lazy to do the maintenance.

Ian

#111765 - 10/25/07 04:42 PM Re: What's this guy playing?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For those that love the vintage sound, but can't carry a tech to keep them maintained all the time, I think I can honestly recommend the Nord's as being the best all-rounder for that task.

Rhodes, Clav, Wurli and B3. All of these models are at the very top of the heap in realism, the controls are plentiful and logical, the key-beds are great, they are light and attractive onstage.

To compare one of these to a DX7 is to miss the point entirely. The DX7 NEVER came even close to any of the above instruments. It may have been the closest at the time of it's release, but this is over 20 years on. Most of these Nord models are extremely close to the original instruments... Enough to be used in favor of them on countless recordings and on national tours by name bands (just saw AWB using one a few weeks ago).

The DX7 NEVER ever came close to fooling anyone, it was just the most convenient at the time. But these Nord's, for the sounds they do do, are balls on dead accurate, and easily able to fool all but the most discerning ear.

I think I am talking myself into a gear purchase...!

#111766 - 10/25/07 05:58 PM Re: What's this guy playing?
ianmcnll Offline

Actually, the DX-7 didn't imitate as much as it replaced the Rhodes, Wurly and yes, sometimes even the Clav.

Third party programmers made a good living from producing authentic(for the day)patches for the DX-7.

Nearly every recording in the 80's and early 90's had a DX-7 on it...and if you were in a cover band, you had to have one.

Rhodes, Wurlies, Clavs suddenly went out of vogue and were used mainly by those who were dedicated to them, like Bob James, Super Tramp and Stevie Wonder (who could also afford to maintain them)...everyone else used a DX-7(or later on, a Roland D-50)

Now vintage is back, and unless you can afford the luxury of the maintenance involved with vintage instruments, you gotta get the next best thing...

Of course the Nord imitates those early sounds better than a DX-7, but you can be sure that among the former's Electric Piano patches is an FM E.Piano, a tribute to the DX's popularity and longevity.

The Rhodes, Wurly and Clav patches on my S900 are authentic enough for me...and the Rhodes sound of a PSR seemed to work well enough for buddy in the video.

I thought the G70 had terrific Rhodes patches, as well as very nice Wurlies and Clavs...the Hammond sounds are great too.

But, if you just have to have "balls on dead accurate" sounds, and you have the bucks, then I imagine the Nord is the way to go.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-25-2007).]

#111767 - 10/26/07 07:40 AM Re: What's this guy playing?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ian, I also have a Hohner and an old DX-7. Great old high maintenance stuff. I have a warehouse full of the great old toys from the past that get "long in the tooth"..not really practical, reliable, portable or usable for today.

Still, great fun...great memories.
I'm going to order the 61 note Nord this week-end (not the lead model-the other one-would have to look up the model number again-about $1400.00 net from Zsounds.)
I'l probably use that one on daily one-nighters. If that works out, I'll get the double manual organ Chas owns. A 33 lb. B-3 replacement? That would be great for my trio!

(Damn, I'n getting to be a sentimental old fart)!

Russ

#111768 - 10/26/07 08:08 AM Re: What's this guy playing?
ianmcnll Offline

Russ,

I remember volunteering to fill in for another keyboardist, and was told I didnt need to bring anything because he had an electric piano I could use.

Surprise! It was a Hohner Pianet...not really bad to play, and the sound was sort of a cross between a Rhodes and a Wurly, but it had no sustain pedal....eek!

That was a memorable evening.

The Nord Electro Keyboard is a nice piece.

I'm trying to get a friend of mine to sell me his Yamaha AN1x retro-analog synth which would be a cool compliment to my S900.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-26-2007).]

#111769 - 10/26/07 08:29 AM Re: What's this guy playing?
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
I remember when the DX7 came out that a friend of mine loved his Farfisa organ he'd had for years but I persuaded him to move on a bit and get the DX7...I went to see his band one night and not really being able to see him I thought 'oh he's still got the Farfisa' on stage but no! somehow he'd managed to get the DX to sound like his old Farfisa...how bizzare that was.

Noel

#111770 - 10/26/07 08:35 AM Re: What's this guy playing?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, if you do get the C1 down the road, trust me, after about a week of cursing (but finally making peace with) those digital drawbars, you will absolutely love that board (even if Donny wouldn't BUY a free one ). Compared to the cost of the dual manual Hammond (XB3???), it's a relative bargain. Some reviews even claim a better mid-range for the Nord but since I've never heard them side by side, I couldn't say. I think it's even cheaper, er, less expensive, that the somewhat dated, Korg (BX3? CX3? ...whichever is the 2-manual).

Good luck with the new Nord board, but this time you have to promise to at least take it out of the box . $1400.00 for any board with Nord's reputation can't be much of a gamble. Think of it as a one-hour trip in a King Air (true op. expenses) .

chas

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online