Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#111515 - 08/13/03 01:41 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Dnj Offline

I have no problem using the Senn E855 with my 9k or 2k directly..plenty of gain

#111516 - 08/13/03 04:01 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I recommend AKG C3000B as well. There is also the 4000 but I have never tested it.

It is very important to test before you buy. Coordinate with the manager of the store to come at certain time or day in which you can actually test the Mics. Or better, if you have good relationship with the store, buy the mics to test them on your system and return those which do not fit.

I basically tried 6 mics, that I researched very well, in the store and ended up buying a microphone that I never heard of. Then One mic was strongly recommended to me and I bought it with other mics with the option of return and I am glad I arranged this option; for the mic truly sucked with my system (because my system did not support it; however, the mic is standard in the industry and used all the time).

So make sure you test them.

#111517 - 08/13/03 04:25 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have tried both the Sennheiser 855 Evolution and EV N/D 767, and I sold the first (I didn't like it for my voice) and kept the second. But my favorite microphones are from the brand Shure. On stage I use a Beta 58A (dynamic), and sometimes I use an excellent Shure 87A (condenser). I'm using both with my brand new Tyros. With the condenser mic, I use a tube preamp with phantom power from Behringer. It produces an extremely warm sound, and it's rather inexpensive.

-- José.

#111518 - 08/14/03 07:30 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Here is some information you may find enlightening:

GET CONDENSED
Most stage mics are either dynamic or condenser. Dynamic mics offer rugged, reliable construction and a high performance-to-cost ratio. In fact, the use of lightweight neodymium magnets has allowed some dynamic mics to offer performance close to that of condensers.

Condenser mics offer excellent transient response and detail, extended high end, high output, and greater “reach” than dynamic mics. Once considered too fragile for gigging, a multitude of road-rugged condensers have been brought to market in recent years. Unlike dynamic mics, condenser mics require a power supply, which can take the form of an onboard battery, inline power supply or, most commonly in sound reinforcement applications, phantom power supplied by the mixing console via the mic cable.

Mics are designed with one of several possible pickup patterns (aka polar patterns) which determine how sensitive they are to sound coming from different directions. Just as higher frequencies beamed from an instrument or loudspeaker tend to be more directional than lows, mics tend more towards directionality at higher frequencies. Generally, the higher quality the mic, the more uniform the pattern at all frequencies.

The most common polar patterns for sound reinforcement are cardioid, hypercardioid, and supercardioid. A cardioid mic is most sensitive on-axis (the direction in which the mic is facing), about 6 dB less sensitive 90 degrees off-axis (directly to the side), and about 20 dB less sensitive 180 degrees off-axis (opposite to where the mic is pointed).

Supercardioid mics are less sensitive to the sides than are cardioid mics, but have a small lobe of sensitivity at 180 degrees off-axis. They are most insensitive at 120 degrees, as are hypercardioid mics. Hypercardioids are even less sensitive at 90 degrees than supercardioids, but more sensitive at 180 degrees.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 08-14-2003).]

#111519 - 08/15/03 07:01 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
STILL confused!?! (see my post above) UD, Donny, anyone?

#111520 - 08/15/03 08:21 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
GlennT,

Both condenser and dynamic mics have their uses. In general, condenser mics are for studio recording especially vocal or general recording. While dynmic mics are for live performance. Some use dynamic mics for studio recording to save money. There are few dynamic mics which are good for recording but these are very few and the exception to the rule.

Condenser mic is preferred for vocal recording. First, it is more sensitive and picks better frequency. Second, it does not pick background noise as easy as dynamic mic; so you do not have sound-proof recording room for that. So condenser mic should be the clear choice if you want to use it for recording and especially recording vocals.

The next step is research. Go to different forums and speak to various people and compile a list of MICs you want to buy. I believe you should put AKG C3000B in your list. But again it depends who are you recording and the quality of her or his voice.

That brings us to trying before buying. Read my previous post.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online