SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#111495 - 08/11/03 04:47 PM Vocal Recording Microphone
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
What's a good, reasonably priced (< $400) microphone for recording vocals into your laptop? I've recently acquired a Sennheiser 855 which works very well for live performance, but lacks punch and fidelity for recording. I've heard you need a condenser mic for recording?

#111496 - 08/11/03 05:22 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Dnj Offline

#111497 - 08/11/03 07:59 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you want a great sounding mic at an incredible price....check out the MXL 2001. It's $99 and sounds almost as good as the Neumann that costs 7 times that much!

Other good choices are the AKG 3000, the AT 4033, and the Rode NT1...all under $300.

After you get higher priced than that - it will be hard to justify the price using a laptop system. The better mics ($700+) are more sensitive to breath noises, fan noises, etc. In a modest setting, a 2001 will give you unbelievable results. It's a large diaphragm, side adress mic that sounds wonderful.

Another great utility mic is the AKG 1000s, but that's a small diaphragm, and will not be as "open" as the others. The 1000 is my "Swiss army mic" - it does many things SO well. Guitars especially.

#111498 - 08/11/03 08:52 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
I am very impressed with the Studio Projects C1 @ $199.00. Airy without the harsh brittle high end found on many affordable large-diaphram condensor mics. It is not "natural" but more of an enhancment type mic---one that sounds much better on my vocals than an accurate neutral mic. It adds body without a boomy bassy sound. Highly recomended. It will require phantom power, and you do need a decent mic pre for any mic to sound good.

#111499 - 08/11/03 10:48 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill E:
an enhancment type mic---one that sounds much better on my vocals

THERE is the key. Buy what sounds good on YOUR vocals.

BTW - mic pres are certainly not needed if you have a good board. They help, sure...but I get super results with my Mackie 1604VLZpro. Pre amps are mostly for the big boys. Small progect studios can get get great results with proper mic techniqes and placement.

If you have the bread .... get ALL the toys you want, but the proper usage of modest gear can produce fabulous results. It's all in HOW you use it.

#111500 - 08/12/03 08:58 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
Uncle Dave, I agree with everything that you said-----for once!
Your Mackie has good preamps built in, but some sound card inputs and cheap mixers do not. The preamps on my old Tascam made any mic sound dull and lifeless. You can get a good preamp for under $100 with the Audio Buddy by Midiman. The ones in my Soundcraft mixer are all that I need.
And yes, a "character" mic needs to match well with the intended users' voice. My C1 is not a general purpose mic,not at all ideal for recording acoustic instruments. But it gives that "bigger than life" sound that is often heard on records.And that gives THIS feeble singer a big boost of confidence!

#111501 - 08/12/03 09:28 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Dnj Offline

My 2 cents....I used a Senn E855 Mic to record most of my Demo Songs on my website.
I am now using with the help of Uncle Dave a great Audio Technica AT4033/SE http://www.crmav.com/recording/62/special_edition_at4033_se_cardioid_capacitor_microphone.shtml for my vocal tracks and it sounds pretty good so far.

Let your Ears be your guide....
and its nice to have an Uncle Dave also...

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-12-2003).]

#111502 - 08/12/03 10:00 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Uncle Dave Offline

Aw, you guyeeezeee.......

#111503 - 08/12/03 01:51 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Hey,
I use an Oktiva M-319. I had a Neumann, however I got rid of cause the cost difference and didn't hear the sound difference for the money. M-319 is only $99 and is a very nice condenser mic. I used it to make my CD.

------------------
I don't steer the ship, I bail out the water.
DJ
http://www.chipos.com/beachbum/

#111504 - 08/12/03 04:32 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
GlennT Offline

Donny... I was surprised that you recorded your demos with the Senn 855. I thought you needed a condenser mic for a good recording, but yours certainly sound good.

Bill... I might try out the C1. Anything that could give a "bigger than life" sound for my average voice would be worth checking out.

Thanks to all replies.

#111505 - 08/13/03 05:33 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Dnj Offline

Glenn,

I love my Senn E855...when I A/B'd it with so many others it just had a better sound to my ears.
I recorded into a Zoom Digital Multitrack
MRS 1044cd HD recorder

which has great vocal efx for recording also.
So you see sometimes Less is More!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-13-2003).]

#111506 - 08/13/03 07:52 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So you see sometimes Less is More!

....Dnj ..... that's not cheap gear you're working with ...
t.

#111507 - 08/13/03 08:32 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Another mic to mention is the Behringer B2pro. This is a large diaphram dual element microphone which allows for three different types of recording. Front(cardiod), all around (omnidirectional) and front and back (figure eight). This mic includes an aluminum travel case, shock mount and large wind screen and sells for $149.00. I also sell the MXL2001 which was my best seller until the Behringer B2PRO came out in February, but this is not a dual diaphram type and does not include a case, the shockmount is extra and there is no foam wind screen.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#111508 - 08/13/03 08:35 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I use an AKG 3000 condenser mic for recording and very happy with its performance. I actually had two, but accidently dropped one on stage, and it's now dead so I definitely don't recommend it for the rigors of live stage work.

For live performance, I still utilize my old reliable & rugged (still working & sounding great for over 10 long years) EV 757 mic. Produces a sound (smooth) which seems to compliment my bari-tenor voice. Another thing I like is that it seems to produce the hottest output (strongest signal) of any other mic out there. This is a real plus, expecially when you like the convenience of plugging the mic directly into the keyboard without requiring a separate mic pre-amp. On my old Technics KN5000, only the EV757 provided enough signal output strength to the keyboard for adequate mic volume. Thankfully, the Yamaha Tyros includes a built in mic trim gain knob to boost the mic input signal, but I prefer not to rely too much on it, as I realize that this could potentially introduce added noise as well.

After over ten years, I realize it's about time I update my EV mic, so seriously considering the Sennheiser E855, especially after hearing all the raves from Donny. I'm just curious what the 'signal output' level of the Sennheiser E855 is, and how it compares to EV brand mics. Another brand of mic (for stage performance) I've been considering moving to is Audix. All input appreciated.

Scott

#111509 - 08/13/03 09:33 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Dnj Offline

Scott,

I had the Ev 757 for a few weeks...see if you can A/B both the Senn E855 & your
EV 757...then you will hear the difference. Thats what I did and then decided to change ...glad I did 2yrs ago. The flagship
of these Evo1ution vocal microphones is the E855 ($299 retail $199). It is a supercardioid with a frequency response of 40 Hz to 18 kHz. Further, it has a significant presence boost in the 4 kHz to 8 kHz range, as well as a more modest peak around 10 kHz.

http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/sennheiser_e855.html

#111510 - 08/13/03 10:38 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
tony mads usa Offline

I got the Senn e845 from an outfit in Florida (off ebay) for $99 and I think it is GREAT .....
Does the e855 require phantom power? .....
t.

PS. there are a few 845 and at least one 855 on ebay right now.....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 08-13-2003).]

#111511 - 08/13/03 10:39 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
GlennT Offline

I'm confused!?!

Somehow I got the idea that you need a condenser mic for good recording results, but Donny has used his senn e855 with great results. However, that's going into an HDR.

So, is it that you must use a conderser mic only when going into your computer, but when going into an HDR, you could also use a dynamic mic for good results?

#111512 - 08/13/03 10:43 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
GlennT Offline

Tony...

No, the 855 is a dynamic mic, same as your 845.

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Does the e855 require phantom power?

#111513 - 08/13/03 11:05 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
tony mads usa Offline

Glenn ...... thnx,
t.

#111514 - 08/13/03 11:20 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Donny,

Are you able to plug your Senn E855 directly into your PSR2000 and get plenty of mic signal input into your keyboard without requiring to turn up the keyboard's mic trim (signal boost knob) very high? If so, I'll seriously consider purchasing the E855.

Scott

#111515 - 08/13/03 01:41 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Dnj Offline

I have no problem using the Senn E855 with my 9k or 2k directly..plenty of gain

#111516 - 08/13/03 04:01 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I recommend AKG C3000B as well. There is also the 4000 but I have never tested it.

It is very important to test before you buy. Coordinate with the manager of the store to come at certain time or day in which you can actually test the Mics. Or better, if you have good relationship with the store, buy the mics to test them on your system and return those which do not fit.

I basically tried 6 mics, that I researched very well, in the store and ended up buying a microphone that I never heard of. Then One mic was strongly recommended to me and I bought it with other mics with the option of return and I am glad I arranged this option; for the mic truly sucked with my system (because my system did not support it; however, the mic is standard in the industry and used all the time).

So make sure you test them.

#111517 - 08/13/03 04:25 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have tried both the Sennheiser 855 Evolution and EV N/D 767, and I sold the first (I didn't like it for my voice) and kept the second. But my favorite microphones are from the brand Shure. On stage I use a Beta 58A (dynamic), and sometimes I use an excellent Shure 87A (condenser). I'm using both with my brand new Tyros. With the condenser mic, I use a tube preamp with phantom power from Behringer. It produces an extremely warm sound, and it's rather inexpensive.

-- José.

#111518 - 08/14/03 07:30 AM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Here is some information you may find enlightening:

GET CONDENSED
Most stage mics are either dynamic or condenser. Dynamic mics offer rugged, reliable construction and a high performance-to-cost ratio. In fact, the use of lightweight neodymium magnets has allowed some dynamic mics to offer performance close to that of condensers.

Condenser mics offer excellent transient response and detail, extended high end, high output, and greater “reach” than dynamic mics. Once considered too fragile for gigging, a multitude of road-rugged condensers have been brought to market in recent years. Unlike dynamic mics, condenser mics require a power supply, which can take the form of an onboard battery, inline power supply or, most commonly in sound reinforcement applications, phantom power supplied by the mixing console via the mic cable.

Mics are designed with one of several possible pickup patterns (aka polar patterns) which determine how sensitive they are to sound coming from different directions. Just as higher frequencies beamed from an instrument or loudspeaker tend to be more directional than lows, mics tend more towards directionality at higher frequencies. Generally, the higher quality the mic, the more uniform the pattern at all frequencies.

The most common polar patterns for sound reinforcement are cardioid, hypercardioid, and supercardioid. A cardioid mic is most sensitive on-axis (the direction in which the mic is facing), about 6 dB less sensitive 90 degrees off-axis (directly to the side), and about 20 dB less sensitive 180 degrees off-axis (opposite to where the mic is pointed).

Supercardioid mics are less sensitive to the sides than are cardioid mics, but have a small lobe of sensitivity at 180 degrees off-axis. They are most insensitive at 120 degrees, as are hypercardioid mics. Hypercardioids are even less sensitive at 90 degrees than supercardioids, but more sensitive at 180 degrees.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 08-14-2003).]

#111519 - 08/15/03 07:01 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
GlennT Offline

STILL confused!?! (see my post above) UD, Donny, anyone?

#111520 - 08/15/03 08:21 PM Re: Vocal Recording Microphone
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
GlennT,

Both condenser and dynamic mics have their uses. In general, condenser mics are for studio recording especially vocal or general recording. While dynmic mics are for live performance. Some use dynamic mics for studio recording to save money. There are few dynamic mics which are good for recording but these are very few and the exception to the rule.

Condenser mic is preferred for vocal recording. First, it is more sensitive and picks better frequency. Second, it does not pick background noise as easy as dynamic mic; so you do not have sound-proof recording room for that. So condenser mic should be the clear choice if you want to use it for recording and especially recording vocals.

The next step is research. Go to different forums and speak to various people and compile a list of MICs you want to buy. I believe you should put AKG C3000B in your list. But again it depends who are you recording and the quality of her or his voice.

That brings us to trying before buying. Read my previous post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online