Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#111444 - 10/07/03 09:10 AM Re: Motif ES 8 - first impressions
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Pro,
Before you run out and buy the expansion board for pianos, I would load the piano samples that came with the ES on cd. For my tastes the ones there are better than the onboard ones, like the s700 and jazz grands etc.

Thanks - as soon as I figure out the best way for me to get the CD info into my Mo that's just what I'll do.

Quote:

The one thing I sort of disagree with you on re: the Mo is pretty much an arranger with it's arps. The majore difference I see is that the Tyros with it's styles are like having several arps running at the same time if you will, one for a bass pattern, drums, lead voices, fills, rhythms etc. The Mo's arp with very few exceptions will only practically run one voice at a time. Even though in performance mode it could be applied to all 4 voices, it would sound like junk i.e. a piano arp playing the drums at the same time does not sound good at all.
Terry

I get the impression from the "Combination" arps that you can have different arps on each of the voices which you can then assign to the SF1-5 buttons for real-time call-up. These then work off of your real-time chord input. Call it what you will but that's a programmable arranger to me. Several times while playing around with the different preprogrammed voices with COMB arps I felt like I WAS playing an arranger! One example is the preset for "Tiger", where the bass, drums and guitar voices were playing off their individual arps on the left hand and then a cheesy organ is setup for the right hand. I could then change the arp/pattern on the fly from the SF buttons. That's very arrangerish... if that's such a word.

#111445 - 10/07/03 02:41 PM Re: Motif ES 8 - first impressions
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Thank you all for the valuable discussion.

#111446 - 10/07/03 06:59 PM Re: Motif ES 8 - first impressions
trtjazz Offline

Jim,
You're right about the combi setup but those are very few of the 1700.

Try setting up some of the regular ones, they don't sound all that good together in a performance.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#111447 - 10/07/03 08:17 PM Re: Motif ES 8 - first impressions
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Mike,
I think if one takes advantage of the master mode, the ES could readily be set up for live performances with a band. As far as being a "one man band" such as the Tyros is then I agree.

The other overall thing I would say is that the Tyros is much more fun to just sit down and play the ES is more of a creative tool to work with.
Terry

Terry I agree with your thoughts. I know the Motif ES has the ability to be used in a Live setting and even with a Band of course but the learning curve was pretty steep and it just seems to me that the first thing on Yamaha's mind when they created the Motif ES was gearing it for Studio application not Live play; that's my thoughts anyway. I guess I also wanted a simpler solution but still have all those killer voices too. Being familiar with Yamaha's newer Arrangers and their OS's, the Tyros makes it 'extremely' easy for me to use during a Live performance. Plus I get the benefit of using all of those great Styles during Solo performances and the Midi compatibility and functionality on the Tyros is leaps and bounds above and beyond the Motif ES IMO. Ever try to Mix and Master a Midi on the ES? You'll know what I mean if and when you try to. It can be done but you're in for some grueling hard work and ultimately some frustration to go along with it. The Tyros is the bees knees for Midi implementation and functionality with XG compatibility and so much more. It is a MUCH easier process for me. And I am very big on using Midi files, features, and functions in and with my Music making.

Someday I probably will get a true Synth Workstation, but by that time they'll probably have incorporated all the features of an Arranger Workstation Keyboard and more, into it. Which is fine with me.

Best regards,
Mike

#111448 - 10/08/03 05:35 PM Re: Motif ES 8 - first impressions
trtjazz Offline

Mike,
No doubt about the Tyros being 1000 x's more user friendly than the ES. I like them both very much each for their own strengths and use them as such.

The pattern sequencer on the ES to me is the cat's meow for creating tunes. The Tyros equally cool to just play, without getting a headache.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#111449 - 10/09/03 04:56 AM Re: Motif ES 8 - first impressions
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Pro (and company)...I too am interested in the Motif and am curious if you loaded the piano samples from the CD onto the Mo...are they better?? If not, that would not preclude me from buying the beast..but I do need a richer sounding piano sound. My P-80 is a fantastic keyboard but a bit muddy at times...I'd like to keep it as a controller for sure, and midi through the Mo ......

#111450 - 10/09/03 05:57 AM Re: Motif ES 8 - first impressions
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by B2:
Pro (and company)...I too am interested in the Motif and am curious if you loaded the piano samples from the CD onto the Mo...are they better?? If not, that would not preclude me from buying the beast..but I do need a richer sounding piano sound. My P-80 is a fantastic keyboard but a bit muddy at times...I'd like to keep it as a controller for sure, and midi through the Mo ......

B2,
There are several great pianos on the included cd, for my tastes, better than the new 3x strike. I particularily like the Jazz grans, s700's (2 of them) and the amp'd Ep electric I think is better than any of the onboard ones.

The other voices that come on the cd are all the sweet sounds and all the scats vocals plus more.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online