Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#110673 - 01/19/07 03:55 AM Re: Hammond Project Exceed
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
....just the fact that a person even "PLAYS" an instrument is unique enough in this high tech world....

....gotta agree with that.

chas

#110674 - 01/19/07 04:07 AM Re: Hammond Project Exceed
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But here we are, discussing the pros and cons of a real B3 on an arranger forum, arguably the most 'fake' way to make music out there.

Like Donny, I agree...IMO we're masters of fakery.

I also laugh all the way to the bank, as I am lucky enough to make the technology work for me.

If we are fooling people, it is no worse than the original purpose that Laurens Hammond had for his new instrument/organ which "a panel of experts and students displayed a remarkable inability to distinguish from a $75,000 Skinner pipe organ in blindfold tests.”

If I'm not mistaken, the early synthesizers were frowned upon because of their potential ability to put "real musicians" out of work...then along came the arranger keyboards...and finally, the DJ.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#110675 - 01/19/07 05:30 AM Re: Hammond Project Exceed
zuki Offline

Long live arrangers and the few that know how to play them

Not one person (outside this forum) I know could even turn my arranger on - yet alone play it! I have years of training and experience that got me to my current level.

We are a fortunate minority folks, whether we know it or not.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#110676 - 01/19/07 06:48 AM Re: Hammond Project Exceed
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
...then along came the arranger keyboards...and finally, the DJ.

Don't you mean The DNJ?

Look how far arrangers have come. From humble casio machines to real instruments. There is enough variation available that we can be both fakers and originators. As always, the trick is to master your instrument, play for yourself, and for your audience.

#110677 - 01/19/07 08:51 AM Re: Hammond Project Exceed
bill reed Offline

Loc: edinburgh
hi
if you ever get the chance to sit and play at a top organ like a wersi, lowery, hammond, then not only do you hear the diffrence but you feel it too. like russ said it does feel so diffrent and you realise just how wonderful the great organs are.
bill

#110678 - 01/19/07 10:34 AM Re: Hammond Project Exceed
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Now, don't get me wrong, everybody, you all know I own and use arrangers very gratefully in my professional life, it's just that I don't try to kid myself that using them is any better (or even as good as!) than a real rhythm section.

I try to play with as many full bands as I can, and only use the arranger if budget or opportunity are not there. For those of you that somehow feel that playing with an arranger is 'better' than the real bands you may have played with in your younger days, I feel sad.....

To have never played with musicians that lift your spirits and lubricate your creativity is a great loss, and, no matter how successful your arranger business is, if you lose touch with playing live, with BOTH HANDS, reacting TO what your rhythm section does rather than making it react solely to you, you get further and further away from the source of real music.

Music is a conversation, not a speech.....

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-19-2007).]

#110679 - 01/19/07 10:51 AM Re: Hammond Project Exceed
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
VERY WELL SAID, Diki!

You're absolutely right!

Russ

#110680 - 01/19/07 11:46 AM Re: Hammond Project Exceed
Dnj Offline

Diki I know all of what you say playing with 7 pcs for over 20 years....but I'm a realist and have a family that counts on me which is my #1 priority .....call it fakery, magic, or whatever, its a business like any other you make it float or you sink baby thats the bottom line...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online