SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#110365 - 08/26/07 08:00 PM why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
it seems members not only rarely post on the forums for Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Ketron et al compared to choosing to post on the General Arranger Forum, they seem to rarely read the posts related to their brand as well, and concentrate on reading the General forum only. i'm wondering why that is so..I can understand general issues and brand comparisons but don't understand why all discussions re a particular keyboard or a group type of a particular brand don't wind up posted and read in the specific forums set up for that

------------------
Miami Mo

#110366 - 08/26/07 08:09 PM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It's simple...there's not as much bickering and controversy on the specific brand sites.

Ian

#110367 - 08/26/07 08:27 PM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
for me, it's because I have the synthzone arranger forum as a bookmark and often just forget to look at the other forums

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566 www.kayesmusicscene.com

[This message has been edited by George Kaye (edited 08-26-2007).]
(Retired 2021)

#110368 - 08/26/07 09:00 PM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
keysvocalssax Offline

does anyone think it would be a good/bad idea to require (or at least strongly urge) members to post/read things like "i just got my new GinkoBiloba kb" or "my Fernburner just developed a glitch in the harmonizer" in the respective forums and keep the General Forum limited to general issues and/or items encompassing more than one kb or brand subgroup? If so, please say why. i'm thinking it's a good idea--but it may not be a practicable one. The Technics forum seems unique in that the owners tend to post/read there rather than on the General..seems to work well for them...

#110369 - 08/27/07 07:22 AM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've been here at the Zone for almost 7 years ( 9/1/00 ), and for all that time, people come and go and some try to change the format, the tone, the moderation, the content, etc ........

I'm here to say that Nigel has provided a haven for those of us that like to beat our chest, or offer help, or share a moment with our peers, and I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING about this place!

Sure, tempers fire up sometimes.
Sure, the pi$$ing contests pop up sometimes.

Through it all ...... I have shared and recieved so much information here that I would be a different person and a different player today, if it were not for my pal Nigel, and my fellow ZONERS !!!!!!!!

Post if you want, don't if you don't, lurk if you must, but use this valuable resourse as it was intended to be: FREE

#110370 - 08/27/07 07:28 AM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
Dnj Offline

#110371 - 08/27/07 07:29 AM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I just went over for a look at the Korg forum. There is a total of 10 posts...TOTAL. That's less than will be on this thread in the next 30 minutes.

#110372 - 08/27/07 10:59 AM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think it is because there are several good sites on the web that are manufacturer specific, that have better facilities for hosting files, updates, videos and audio demos, have dedicated bug forums, style forums, tips and tricks sections, etc..

Without a more elaborate forum software, SZ is a bit hobbled to provide the support that a true dedicated site can. And these sites have been established for quite a while.

The General Arranger forum here is fairly unique, in that you get a lot of comparison posts, whether polite or not vs. the one-sided viewpoint of the dedicated fora, and hearing how others use their arrangers, and what specific features are the most loved and hated is very informative.

But the SZ specific fora lack the features necessary to make a good resource, compared to other, more established sites. I don't post a lot on the SZ Roland forum because most of what is discussed there is simply a repeat of what has already been discussed at roland-arranger.com, and one can only post the URL so many times...

I just don't see the point of reinventing the wheel... or at least, duplicating it.

#110373 - 08/27/07 11:25 AM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
keysvocalssax Offline

let me address each of the issues raised---- 1)i think making suggestions for improvements is always valid, and criticizing and/or rejecting the suggestions is also valid, but saying sz is perfect in every way, and suggestions are unwelcome is arbitrary.----- 2)the Korg forum is an extreme example of non-use, the Technics an extreme example of heavy use. what could be the reasons? 3)diki, you are assuming the specific forum posts on sz are more technical help oriented, and therefore other websites do that better--but a lot of what is on the General forum re specific brands is not technical at all, so why not have those on the special forums instead of clogging up the General with stuff about one kb when the reader owns a different brand? that person can always go the the specific forum if they are interested in learning more about that brand..----4)none of this is really a big deal, we could have everything on the General and be fine with that, and we could have more separation and be fine with that. Just seems to me the way it is now, when I post a question on the Roland forum, the response is so slow and sparse that I'm discouraged from using it at all and so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that the specific forums are not the way to get results.

------------------
Miami Mo

#110374 - 08/27/07 01:04 PM Re: why aren't sz specific brand forums posted more?
keysvocalssax Offline

case in point, diki--please check my reply to your answer on Roland forum..i want to get hold of that ots program asap..thanks..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online