SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110292 - 09/25/07 12:33 PM PSR-S900 new voices?
yis1559 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I'm a deasent piano player and an experienced drummer who has been composeing songs. I spent a long time on the desition to buy a s900, but I did and I'm more than happy! I use it primeraly to arrange music for the songs I composed, but I need a Solo Violin that sounds real. I checked out the T2 in the store, and even it doesnt have any Violin S/A voices!
Have any solutions?

#110293 - 09/25/07 12:57 PM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Welcome , "yis1559"

Try "layering" 2 string sounds together , that might work.

Best of luck with your new S900 !!

You did get your $$$`s worth ! ( except for those damn rubber buttons > LOL , you`ll hear alot of `B>n out of me about that)

Gary

#110294 - 09/25/07 01:46 PM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can get pretty close by editing the Cello voice a little.
DonM

#110295 - 09/25/07 06:19 PM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
Dnj Offline

http://aux.music.yamaha.com/tyros2/demo/index.html

Listen to the Orchestral demo violins

#110296 - 09/25/07 07:25 PM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I just wonder if there are some nice hidden voices inside that s900 that we just can't get to. My brother had an old Yamaha something or other and I can't remember what model. But there was some weird thing we used to do with the sequencer; where we could actually skip past anything we had sequenced. There was a bunch of just random sounding stuff and there were different voices. Even a couple different styles. If you stopped the sequencer at the right spot, then just pressed the start button as if you were going to play, you could use these new styles and voices. It was the strangest thing ever, and it was so long ago that I don't remember how exactly we did it. But there were definitely other things in that keyboard that you couldn't get to in normal operation.

#110297 - 09/26/07 03:45 AM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
I while ago I had an SY-35 4 pole vector synth that combined 4 sounds together to make a patch. In a progamming mode you could get to the individual samples dry/no effects-lots of blips, beeps, and such. With that synth I could never create a decent sound from scratch because a lot of synth sounds half rely on the sample edit, and the other half on effects edit. I always had to edit an exhisting one, and even then they didn't sound good. Thing is that it was an early attempt by Yamaha to combine 2 kinds of synthesis PCM & FM on one synth. So it probably contributed in some way in the development of the Motif. The Joy stick on that synth was a great idea-isolating and mixing all 4 samples. Too bad they didn't incorporate that on the motif. With the Joystick you could really get some interesting swirling pads going epecially when used in conjunction with the mod wheel.

Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
I just wonder if there are some nice hidden voices inside that s900 that we just can't get to. My brother had an old Yamaha something or other and I can't remember what model. But there was some weird thing we used to do with the sequencer; where we could actually skip past anything we had sequenced. There was a bunch of just random sounding stuff and there were different voices. Even a couple different styles. If you stopped the sequencer at the right spot, then just pressed the start button as if you were going to play, you could use these new styles and voices. It was the strangest thing ever, and it was so long ago that I don't remember how exactly we did it. But there were definitely other things in that keyboard that you couldn't get to in normal operation.

#110298 - 09/26/07 04:25 AM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
jwyvern Offline

It sounds as if your string section is suffering from the "lack of up front" presence often mentioned about Ty2 voices.

This is being addressed here: http://www.yamahapkowner.com/forum/index.php?topic=7538.0;topicseen

In part 2 in that thread is a procedure for beefing up the Ty2 voices which "should" (fingers crossed) be do-able on the S900 as well.
Suggest you carry that out, then audition the Sweet Violin. There's a huge difference which hopefully will be what you want to hear, not only in volume but nuances also. Check out other voices too to be convinced. Don't take my word for it.
Note: The procedure was put up yesterday mainly based on Ty2, so have yet to hear confirmation that it WILL work as described with the S900.
If it can't be done using a template from the supplied registration as described (ie. the S900 doesn't have the Function to freeze voice settings) it will still be possible to do, albeit more slowly by editing the individual voice(s) using the suggested settings, assuming it has the usual Yamaha onboard editor.

John

#110299 - 09/26/07 04:47 AM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
Dnj Offline

Customizing sounds is one of the most powerful features on an arranger that hardly anyone uses. Not many take the time to read & understand all the perimeters that can take a stock DULL factory sounding KB & turn it into a great Sounding one to YOUR Liking! Customizing & Creating sounds & styles is the key ingredient.
I laugh when I read about some of the store demos etc, etc, when I know any of the TOTL arrangers can be made to sound good if you put in the time to learn what to do.
But alas too many DON'T. Dont assume the factory has done this for you

#110300 - 09/26/07 05:03 AM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
jwyvern Offline

Could have been me writing that DNJ

John

#110301 - 09/26/07 05:25 AM Re: PSR-S900 new voices?
Dnj Offline

Sorry John......but if by reading the post one person opens the Manual and learns sonething it was well worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online