Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#110239 - 08/13/05 07:45 PM Re: The Bose has landed...,
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Frankie,

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a NON-POWERED mixer that has effects. You can buy a very inexpensive resistance mixer, but without a powered mixer there is no way to power the effects processor.

I'm currently using the Alesis 6FX when I have a couple guitar players and singers with me and it does a great job. Sells for about $100 and has 100 effects built in.

Good Luck

Gary

I have two unpowered mixers with effects, both Behringer. Of course they have to plug into electricity, but they do not have power amps built in. I think there is a terminology misunderstanding here.
Gary, your Alesis is also an unpowered mixer.
DonM

#110240 - 08/14/05 05:13 AM Re: The Bose has landed...,
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
It's the tech term watered down, it aint got no power amps in it mixer

#110241 - 08/14/05 06:28 AM Re: The Bose has landed...,
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
With the exception of resistance mixers, all mixers with built-in effects are powered. However, the output is measured in milli-watts (mW). And, if I recall correctly, the output sound levels these types of mixers are measured in Decibel Units (dBu). While there's insufficient wattage to power speakers, they're still powered. Additionally, they require a voltage source for the processor and pre-amplification circuitry.

In the case of resistance mixers, they are merely a series of parallel inputs that connect to a single output. The only thing they can do is to lower the signals fired through the inputs, which in the case of mics and guitar pickups, is very small. The DOD-240 Resistance mixer is a classic example of this. And, it is listed as an unpowered mixer.

The product you seem to be referring to is a mixer/amp, which is a combination of a powered mixer and amplifier. With those, you can bypass the amplifier section by merely outputting from the line-out.

Just a difference in interpretation of terminology. I gotta' start drinkin' more Kickapoo Joy Juice!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#110242 - 08/15/05 11:35 AM Re: The Bose has landed...,
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
In general terms
any mixer that uses electricity doesnt mean they are powered -they are still non powered mixers (unless they have power amps built in to drive passive speakers ).

these are powered mixers
http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=MXP

this is not(though it uses electricity) http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=sm162
http://www.carvin.com/mixers/

#110243 - 08/15/05 04:56 PM Re: The Bose has landed...,
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
That's interesting, but for some reason I cannot seem to find anything in the product description of the NON POWERED mixers you selected that says NON-POWERED. In fact, there is a section that descibes in great detail the Phontom Power used for the XLR inputs, and the versitility of the POWER SUPPLIES.

When I looked at the Power Mixer links, they refer to some at Amp-Mixers and PA (Public Address) amplifier systems.

I must be missing something here.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online